LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 08, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

67 trans am wheels

hey guys i need your help,
i have a 67 ss with coys 20 and 18 in wheels i would like to replace them
with a set of torque thrusts 15,s
i want the car to look like penske/yunnik cars of the day
any help would be app
here are a few pics of my ride,ps i should mention i live in melbourne australia

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 08, 04:41 PM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Re: 67 trans am wheels

Beautiful car.

Try Vintage Wheel Works www.vintagewheelworks.com and look at either the V-40's or the V-45's...both period-correct vintage style wheels.

Here's my '69 with V-40's:

Mine are 17" but they make them in 16's as well.
If you're stuck on getting 15's,try Phil Schmidt,he makes all the race wheels for the vintage guys.Google him @ PSE Engineering,Inc.

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 08, 06:57 PM
Senior Tech

You can also try these guys http://www.etwheels.com/ They make vintage 5 spokes and "minilite" replicas too. Both of these companys make the wheels in 17" diameter. You still get the period correct look with the use of modern rubber. Just throwing that out there.

Jack

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 08, 09:49 AM
Senior Tech
David

http://www.mainstreetmotorsport.com/wheelsales.htm
This is where I got the 15" minilites for my '69 (in the signature below).

David

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 08, 12:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SuperSports View Post
http://www.mainstreetmotorsport.com/wheelsales.htm
This is where I got the 15" minilites for my '69 (in the signature below).
What width and offset did you get? Would you get the same size again, OR would you go to 16 or 17? I LOVE the Minilite look as it brings back the IMSA and TransAm look! but I'm unsure of what size to get to allow good tires to be used, and still fit under the stock '69 Z28 wheelwells. Any advice you can provide would be appreciated
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 08, 12:54 PM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Z28-RS View Post
What width and offset did you get? Would you get the same size again, OR would you go to 16 or 17? I LOVE the Minilite look as it brings back the IMSA and TransAm look! but I'm unsure of what size to get to allow good tires to be used, and still fit under the stock '69 Z28 wheelwells. Any advice you can provide would be appreciated
I'd forget 16's,tire selection in that size is VERY limited and will only get worse as time goes on.
The following sizing should work well with stock '69 Camaro fenders:
Fronts:
17x8 (4.75" b/s) w/245/45's
Rears:
17x9.5 (5.5" b/s) w/275/40's

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 08, 01:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Thanks John! I appreciate the input
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 08, 06:34 PM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Thanks John! I appreciate the input
anytime man...

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 08, 10:30 PM
Senior Tech
T

VWW also has the V48 wheel, which is "close" in appearance to the vintage minilite.

Here's a nice pic off their website (sadly, this is not my car):

I'm running 16x8's on my '69 and the overall look/sidewall is "just about right" but as noted, tyre selection is limited. Also, PLEASE consider what brakes you plan to run -- most of the "big" brake kits (LS1, C5, C6, ...) require 17" wheels or better.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 08, 09:35 AM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Mine are 15x8 with 4-1/2" backspacing all the way around. I would still get the same size if I had to do it over again. I wanted to stay more nostalgia than pro-touring I guess.
My rear tires are 255/60/15
fronts are 235/60/15
No rubbing issues.

They might not fit the same on a '67.

David

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 08, 05:22 AM
Senior Tech
Laurence

[QUOTE=67ss camaro;1061178]hey guys i need your help,
i have a 67 ss with coys 20 and 18 in wheels i would like to replace them
with a set of torque thrusts 15,s
i want the car to look like penske/yunnik cars of the day

So- thread hijacking aside...back to your original point!
I'd suggest you go on ebay and find a set of Torq thrust D's or Torq thrust originals...get em shipped to you in Oz...15x7's 4" backspacing should do it...about 700 bucks US plus shipping.

Summit Racing has them in dark grey...just like the Penske 68 camaro:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ameri...spagenameZWDVW

http://www.pbase.com/speedracer/image/21556953

..."you can never go fast enough"..driver,Two Lane Blacktop.

Last edited by Lol_uk; Sep 11th, 08 at 05:25 AM. Reason: added pic link
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 08, 01:10 PM
Senior Tech
Steven

I should have my 17" Vintage Wheel Works V48 mounted this weekend. Here's a mockup shot

(yes its on the wrong side )

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 08, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

i really like the 68 penske car ar 15x7,s allround or are they larger on the rears?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 08, 08:17 AM
Senior Tech
T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ss camaro View Post
i really like the 68 penske car ar 15x7,s allround or are they larger on the rears?
I'm slowly catching up. Most of the Penske camaro pics I had seen were of the '69s, which ran the mini-lite wheels. But it sounds like Penske was running something different in 67 and 68 (and all the pics I'm digging up online seem to agree). I didn't realize that.

So you're looking for the 5-spoke deals from 67/68 with the black/grey center. As far as size goes, I think they were running something like 15x10 in the rear and 15x9 (or 15x8?) up front for the actual T/A cars, but I don't think you'll be able to fit anything that wide on your car without clearance issues. I think you can get away with a 15x9 rear and 15x8 front on a '67 though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode