need help badly! - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 08, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

need help badly!

i recently bought a 2001 z28 ss camaro i had noticed a couple of the tires were bad . so i bought some tires but when i went to put them on i found out there was a locking lug nut on each wheel! the guy i bought the car from didn't give me anything and i tore the car apart! how do i get those lug nuts off thats my only car and the tires are ready to blow! so can someone help me out thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 08, 01:22 PM
Senior Tech
ADAM

Re: need help badly!

cut them off and replace stud or try and wrench them off (vice grips), otherwise your s.o.l.

68 ss clone sbc350 tko600 chassisworks , 69 LSX454 bbc (in progress jakes), 70 rs 454 mp500efi
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 08, 03:51 PM
Senior Tech
Travis

If your real careful you can take a air chisel and split them in two and knock off both halves and not even damage the wheel stud. I have personally done this and worked fine. There is a small tool called a nut cracker. I think Ive seen it in some of the parts catalogs like year one or ricks or something. I have never used one but have always wanted to buy one just to have. Im not sure how large a nut they will break though. I think that it would work though!! The other option is that you can have a new key made for them, but this will take a little while and not sure you can wait. Good luck!!

Travis

67 L78
67 Vert

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 08, 01:32 PM

they have a tool that can take the locks off your wheels, there used alot on cars with striped just got to a auto store they should have them dont use a torch or air chisel theres to much or a risk of messing up your rims
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 08, 06:43 PM
Tech Team
Terry

Many tire shops deal with this problem more than you know. Check with them. May be cheaper and less aggrivating.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 08, 08:30 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Weld a regular lug nut onto the locking nut. Remove w/lug wrench.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 08, 04:26 AM
Senior Tech
NICK

please go to a tire store, this happens alot,,they have a reverse socket to do the job
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 08, 12:29 PM

Nut "easy-off" sockets!

The type of reverse grab rounded corner nut sockets that Sears sells if you can get a set w/ one big enough??

I'd love to have a set, BUT they are downright PROUD of them!!

And I have heard of guys using a bicycle front fork/handlebar shaft IF the handlebar cinch-down fits the nut??

pdq67

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 08, 03:03 PM
Team Member

I have been done this many times by hammering on a properly sized deep well impact socket, and then using the impact gun to remove.

TTFN
Mat

SSCARGO
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 08, 05:45 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Klemp View Post
I have been done this many times by hammering on a properly sized deep well impact socket, and then using the impact gun to remove.

TTFN
Mat
I have removed them this way also.If you will hit the nut hard with a hammer first it will drive it into the aluminum and loosen it up.Then you can drive a socket on and take them off.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 08, 06:18 AM

Cool!!

pdq67

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 08, 07:26 AM
Senior Tech
Timothy

I used the socket method as well. I have also used a dremel to cut them off.

My 69 RS/SS 396 Project -

"I may be dumb but I aint stupid"
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 08, 07:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Garage

Tire store does sound like the way to go since you have to put the new tires on and balance............

If you are determined to diy......

You might be able to get an air grinder or dremel and grind on one side of the lock to flatten it out some should help the socket get a bite.......

Let us know how you make out......

8 Ball

8 Ball Racing
Member #120
1969 X77 9 E 69 302 M21 Wallace Chevrolet

1969 RSSS rag top 7 E 69 350 turbo 350

1969 Triple Blue 10 D 68

1968 Chevelle 03 A 68
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode