new tires, allingments, but now... - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 08, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

new tires, allingments, but now...

a couple weeks ago I went and got 4 new Uniroyal Tigerpaws put on my '69; and also allingment. Took the car out this weekend and I noticed the tires were "squealing" at almost every turn. At times, they would squeal at the slightest touch. I also notice I have lost a little of the turning radius (or so it feels). I didn't think much about it at the time, but the technician said something about my car having very little room left for "something", I can't remember. Certainly, I'm taking it back, but what in the world is up with that? I know the Tigerpaws arent the best in the world as far as performance, I just felt they looked a little old-school for my stock car. THANKS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 08, 09:56 PM
Senior Tech
Kurt

Re: new tires, allingments, but now...

This reminds me of a time when I had new tires put on my stock size 14" rims after a front end rebuild for the 69 Camaro.
Car's tires squealed just as you are describing. Took my car back with my ole faithful old Chilton service manual which had the factory alignment specs.
The alignment shops computer system only went back to 1970 and the tech assumed it was the same.
After the realignment using the alignment specs from the Chilton manual everything was good to go.

Kurt
1969RS 14yrs into it.
383CID Lives
200R4 Trans, 3:42 Posi 12 Bolt Ready

Cold ones in the fridge. Dam, there gone. BRB

Getting closer to my goal.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 08, 07:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

It has been an eternity sit I sat in alignment class or even helped align a car. There are three alignment angles on your car....Caster, Camber and Toe. The most ignored alignment angle is caster. It's greatest effect is on steering stability, steering effort and steering return; so it is often the most ignored angle. Vehicle ride height can also affect caster. From what I can recall Corvette's would have the most positive caster in order to increase steering stability, steering effort and return.

I would question the alignment tech on where your car was at in regards to the alignment specifications.

1) 1969 Camaro RS 396 TH 400, 12 bolt 3:73 sold 1994

2) 1984 Z28, 5.0 H.O. T-Tops, G92 3:73, sold 1994
3) 1988 5.7L IROC-Z, sold 1994
4) 1969 Camaro bought 2006, back on the road in 2010

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 08, 10:17 AM
Senior Tech
Dale

Send a message via AIM to Dale8346

You don't really need to understand all that.
You got a bad alignment. Take it back.
New tires, New alignment. All should be good with a professional shop that checks all front suspension parts also.
Now be suspect of this shop.

Alignment is no good if parts are bad.

Camber set at 0 both sides. Manuals will say 1/2P, but anyone experienced at doing this will know from experience that 0 will be best here in Illinois for sure.
Caster set at 0 also with a range of 1/4N to 3/4P. and 1/2 degree more on passenger side.
Toe 1/8 to 1/4.
If you are a big guy, have the alignment guys put some weights on the drivers seat first IF you pretty much just drive it by yourself. If you are racing there are a lot of different opinions.

Another thing that gets forgotten. These machines require some type of calibration. Old machines, more calibration. If the guy doing the alignment does not understand the calibration or has not done it, you are screwed. Try asking a mechanic about the calibration. It will make you fell like an A** H*** because he does not know how to do his job. Ask the guy his qualifications, that will make you feel the same. There are good shops, you just have to find one. Onfortunately, this is one of those areas that a guy can hide how bad he is for a long time and no one will notice, except when he really screws up. Like on your car.

Has your car ever been in an accident?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode