Should I keep these tires or send them back... - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 08, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eric

Should I keep these tires or send them back...

I decided to go with the American Racing Torq Thrust M wheels for my 67. The fronts are 17/8 with 4.5 " BS and the rears are 17x9 with 6.75 " backspacing ( will run with 1.5" adapters). For tires I ordered the Falken 452's in 275/40/17 for the rears and 235/45/17/s for the fronts. The front wheels are on back order but I received the front tires and rear wheels with tires mounted and balanced yesterday (great looking combination). The problem is they shipped me 235/40/17's for the front instead of the 235/45/17's like I wanted. I'm wondering if I should send them back and get the one's I originally wanted or should I just keep these. The car sits high as it is so the taller tires would help although I plan on lowering it some with the Hotchkis kit. The only benefit I see to keeping the 40 series tires is that being almost an inch shorter in diameter clearance issues would be less. I'm interested in hearing what other think about this. Thanks

my 67' before the carnage!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 08, 07:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Re: Should I keep these tires or send them back...

Unless there's a problem with fitment or clearance, I'd keep the 40's...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 08, 07:53 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

If you don't have to pay shipping return the tires...
It's the small details that set a car off from the pack!

1. the 40 series is .9" - 1" shorter than the 45 series, this will lower your front by .5" and not fill out the wheel well requiring more suspension drop than necessary for desired look and leaving your headers closer to the ground...
2. the 45 series sidewall will be within .1" of your rear tire sidewall, the 40 series is more like .6" shorter. Small details but the closer to the same sidewall height the better for looks and stance...
3. the 40 series has a .2" wider section width, more likely to rub, the .1" on each side could make all the difference...
4. the 40 series tread is .1" narrower, combined with the wider section with it won't look as nice as the 45 series...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 08, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eric

Here are the tires mounted and balanced. I'll be trying them on today so hopefully the fronts fit alright (the rears fit alright but will probably go with a smaller adapter). I really like the look of them but we'll see how they look on the car, hopefully I'll feel the same.

[

IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f163/chevypowerzz4/Picture046.jpg?t=1222783978[/IMG]

My two little turds

my 67' before the carnage!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode