Wheels fit on 69? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 08, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Jake

Wheels fit on 69?

I have a 69 camaro with Hotchkis TVS system on it and disc brakes on all four corners. Would 17x8 with 4.5 BS on front and 17x10 with 5.5 BS on rear work with this set up? I want to go as wide as possible in the rear without rubbing or sticking outside the wheel housings.

Thanks for the help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 08, 11:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Re: Wheels fit on 69?

What size tire are you planning on running??

1) 1969 Camaro RS 396 TH 400, 12 bolt 3:73 sold 1994
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2) 1984 Z28, 5.0 H.O. T-Tops, G92 3:73, sold 1994
3) 1988 5.7L IROC-Z, sold 1994
4) 1969 Camaro bought 2006, back on the road in 2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 08, 12:28 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisincreations View Post
I have a 69 camaro with Hotchkis TVS system on it and disc brakes on all four corners. Would 17x8 with 4.5 BS on front and 17x10 with 5.5 BS on rear work with this set up? I want to go as wide as possible in the rear without rubbing or sticking outside the wheel housings.

Thanks for the help!!!
I have 17x8 4.75 and 17x9.5 5.5 on my '69 ragtop which has the Hotchkis drop springs and 4 wheel disc's on it.

Let's start with the rear, After adding the discs it became necessary to trim about 1/4" off the fender lip to insure no tire scrubbing with 255/45 tires. Your extra 1/2" is all toward the outer fender lip. If you roll or remove the entire fender lip you might get away with the 17x10's. 275/40's fit real well on 9.5" wide wheels and the size difference over the 255 is split 50/50.

The front's you are looking at put 1/4" more wheel toward the outer fender than mine. When I tried 245/45 tires I replaced several fender bolts with button style allen heads and still had a scrubbing problem. I stepped back to 235/45's and eliminated the problem. I don't think I would have with less back spacing...

Every car is slightly different so your mileage may very but generally 17x8 4.75 and 17x9.5 5.5 is the excepted limit on a '69. I know there are others running 18's that have exceeded this, maybe skeeter55 (Skip) will see this and speak up, I think he told me he has a 10" wheel on his car...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 08, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Jake

I have never run anything larger than 17x8's with 235/45/17's on the front and 255/40/17's on the rear. I don't want to roll or cut off any of the car. Just looking for the best combo for the front and rear while going a little wider than normal in the rear. I love the look of 275's on the rear. That's what started this whole mess. I wish I would have mini-tubbed the car but it is what it is now and I don't want to change it. Thanks for the help and keep the info coming if anyone has more.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 08, 05:01 PM
Senior Tech

I'll go as far as to say if your car has factory rear 1/4s I don't think there is any way your getting that combo in the rear. I know on my car which has all original sheet metal I'm in the same boat as Dennis. I could not get a 275 on a 9.5 to work reguardless of backspacing. There is just not enough room. As stated over and over there are exceptions. Muscle Car John for one has gotten 285s on 9.5x17s to work as well as 18x10s and his car sits low. I know that either one of those would not work on my car. When you get to the max sizes it's always best to test fit before you spend your money. Just because someone has gotten it to work on their car doesn't mean it will work on yours.

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode