General Exclaim UHP Tires - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 08, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Garage
General Exclaim UHP Tires

I was lookin at the BFG G-Force Sport... Then I saw the General Exclaim UHP. I like the General's aggressive tread pattern, the ratings are good and the price is right.

http://www.generaltire.com/tires/T1/Exclaim-UHP

Anybody have any personal experience the the Generals ?

Jeff

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
That's gonna leave a mark...."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 08, 09:09 AM
Senior Tech
cave dweller

Re: General Exclaim UHP Tires

I have the General Exclaim UHP on the front of my GTO as skinnies when I race because they are lighter than most tires (plus they are cheap). They seem to be decent tires for the price, but wear a little fast (but most performance tires wear fast because the rubber compound is softer). The main disavantage is the sidewalls. One reason they are lighter and cheaper is because the sidewalls are thin. That's fine for normal cruising or drag racing, but I would not use these tires if you like to do canyon carving. If you do buy them, they like a little higher pressure than most tires. I usually run 40 psi instead of the normal 35 psi.

1968 Camaro - neglected project
2004 Pontiac GTO - lots of mods
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 08, 09:52 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Jeff after reading the reviews I got the impression they are not bad tires but that maybe they were made from a harder rubber compound as some folks were getting 50K miles out of them. That's great for a daily driver but softer rubber would more likely handle better.

I'd recoment the Nitto 555's from personal experience and I find the new Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals intriguing but they run about $40 more than the Generals.

Keeping in the $100 range for say a 255/45/17 also look at Kumho Ecsta SPT, BFGoodrich g-Force Sport and on close out at tire rack for $78 BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDWS

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 08, 06:56 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

Garage

I have a set of these on my daily driver. 2003 Mercedes E500. I replaced the original Continentals with these and the Generals were a huge improvement in both ride and handling. I think the compound is much softer than the Conti's as the ride comfort improved dramatically and they seem to grip quite a bit better too. The conti's were hard as a rock. I've got about 15K miles on the general's. So far so good.

68 Island Teal
383/700r4
Hotchkis TVS with Global West UCA's

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 08, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Garage

Thanks for the info guys, I'll order a set a see how I like them.
I'll do a 275/40 for the rear on a 17x9.5 w/5.5bs
and a 235/40 for the front on a 17x8 w/4.5bs

I'll post some pics with an update in a couple weeks....no turning back now !!

Thanks for all the help...Jeff

"
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 08, 01:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

**former Continental dealer**

I would personally never buy a General or Continental tire. Too many shifted belts, poor wear issues and otherwise lack of performing up to standards, compared to other name brands.

(sorry if I saw this too late)

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 08, 10:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
**former Continental dealer**

I would personally never buy a General or Continental tire. Too many shifted belts, poor wear issues and otherwise lack of performing up to standards, compared to other name brands.

(sorry if I saw this too late)
I completely agree w/ Bonzo. I used to work in the tire & auto industry until early 1998 and let me tell ya General's quality is not much better than it was 10 1/2 years ago. Way too many separated/shifted belts. Continental merged w/ General some years back. Uniroyal Tiger Paw's used to have alot of issues back in the day as well. Sorry but no General's or Continentals for me regardless of whether its a regular car tire, a performance tire or light truck tire.

1) 1969 Camaro RS 396 TH 400, 12 bolt 3:73 sold 1994

2) 1984 Z28, 5.0 H.O. T-Tops, G92 3:73, sold 1994
3) 1988 5.7L IROC-Z, sold 1994
4) 1969 Camaro bought 2006, back on the road in 2010
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 08, 12:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Side Goons & Hitmen View Post
I completely agree w/ Bonzo. I used to work in the tire & auto industry until early 1998 and let me tell ya General's quality is not much better than it was 10 1/2 years ago. Way too many separated/shifted belts. Continental merged w/ General some years back. Uniroyal Tiger Paw's used to have alot of issues back in the day as well. Sorry but no General's or Continentals for me regardless of whether its a regular car tire, a performance tire or light truck tire.
Do they even still make anything branded Uniroyal? I figured MAST was killing that name off.

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 08, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Garage

Thanks all for your input on your experiences.
Are your comments relative to Contential or General Lines? or Both ?

I dont hear many good comments on the Contential line but the General seems to have fairly good reviews...at least now.

It seems only recently that General is getting into the "summer high performance" line of tires.

Just wondering if their trying to better their reputation.....

Thanks again....

"
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 08, 11:51 AM
Senior Tech
cave dweller

Over at the LS1GTO forum where I also post, lots of guys with late model GTOs use the General Exclaim UHP tires. They seem to get decent reviews except for the side walls being a bit thin. Air them up a bit more than normally recommended, that seems to help.

Tires can be a personal thing. Back in about 2000, I had a couple Goodyear Eagles wear out too fast with abnormal wear on my Grand Prix. I have never bought Goodyear since. The Michelins I put on the Grand Prix afterwards went almost 100k, so the car alignment was fine. I've shied away from Firestone after the Ford Explorer diaster. I'm sure they fixed the problem, but it's funny how we get personal grudges against certain tire brands.

1968 Camaro - neglected project
2004 Pontiac GTO - lots of mods
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 08, 06:47 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

I remember my Dad buying a set of Red Stripped General Dominion Uni-Royal Masters for his 65 Pontiac and thought they were top of the line until they went bald after one summers use. Of course I got my license right about that time which didn't help the wear factor but just the same the rubber was very soft on them tires

I had a set of BF TA's on my 72 340 MAG RS Challenger that went coast to coast several times before it rotted out and put the 15 X 8" Dodge Rally Rims on my Dad's 68 2 Dr HT Parisienne (L79/TH400/3.08 12 Bolt Posi), beautiful car man, using adapters, did the car ever look good with them Dodge Rally rims, F60's on the front and G60's on the back. Anyway, he made at least 5 or 6 trips from Sudbury Ontario to St Pete's Florida and back over the next few years with them tires. When he sold the car to buy a Volvo wagon in 76, I sold them TA's for $50 apiece at the Barrie Molsen Auto-Fair and got another $200 for the Rally Rims - which I used to buy a set of 70 Vette 15 X 8 Rally Rims for $200 and $200 down on a new set of Comp TA's for my 70Z that I had just purchased for $1,600. I figure them TA's went around the world 5 times and were still worth $200 - We are a sick lot - LOL

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

Last edited by Z15CAM; Oct 19th, 08 at 07:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode