want to use zr1 wheels - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 08, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question want to use zr1 wheels

I am thinking of using the olders zr1 wheels in black, i have a 68 camaro and am wondering what all I would have to do to fit the 17x9.5 in front and the 17x11 in the rear on the stock suspension.... i mean is it a ton of work and money or would some spacers do the trick thanks for all your info!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 08, 09:40 PM
Senior Tech
Len Barron

Re: want to use zr1 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by badazzbowties View Post
17x11 in the rear on the stock suspension.... i mean is it a ton of work and money or would some spacers do the trick thanks for all your info!!
Only reason to run an 11" wheel with a lot of bs (like the zr1 wheel) would be to get to a 300+mm tire width. Only way to do that properly in a 1st gen is to mini-tub.

Len
67 SS-350 Convert.
406/200r4/12b 3.73's Truetrac

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 08, 05:26 PM
Senior Tech

There is NO way you're getting the 11s to work in the rear without mods as stated above. You're also not getting 9.5s to work in the front without mods. Take a look this thread from the www.pro-touring.com website. http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43322 Tyler (AKA TitoJones) is also a memeber here and there is a tread on that car on our pro-touring forum.

Jack

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 08, 05:37 PM
Senior Tech

Here's the link to the thread on this forum https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=139609
If you really like the "look" of the ZR1 wheels they come in lots of widths (8.5 - 9.0 - 9.5) that would make fitting them on a stock suspension car much easier. You would still need adapters though. Also keep in mind that 17s or bigger look much better on a car with lowered suspension. If the budget is tight and your just worried about looks you can cut the front springs a 1/2 coil at a time to get the desired ride heigt and use (dare I say this but we're talking looks on the cheap) lowering blocks in the rear. Just throwing some ideas out there for you.

Jack
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 08, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Talking Re: want to use zr1 wheels

My Car Is Lowered 2 Inch Up Front And 1 1/2 In Rear I Like The Look But Also Like The Size Of The Wheels For Performance And Agressiveness, I Have No Problem
Mini Tubbing The Rear And Such Since I Have Kinda Wanted To Do That Anyway, But The Spacer Issue Up Front Is There A Downside As In Safety Wise To Running That Big Of A Spacer Or No?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 08, 06:38 PM
Senior Tech
Len Barron

Quote:
My Car Is Lowered 2 Inch Up Front And 1 1/2 In Rear I Like The Look But Also Like The Size Of The Wheels For Performance And Agressiveness, I Have No Problem
Mini Tubbing The Rear And Such Since I Have Kinda Wanted To Do That Anyway, But The Spacer Issue Up Front Is There A Downside As In Safety Wise To Running That Big Of A Spacer Or No?
If you're going to go to all the work of mini-tubbing then I'd encourage you to get custom wheels that fit your car properly. Is there something about using the ZR-1 wheels that is important to your project?

Len
67 SS-350 Convert.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 08, 06:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I like the look of those wheels a lot, I got a 93 vette that will get a set someday.

As was pointed out, that style wheel is available in different widths. All 96 vette LT4's used them, I believe in 8.5" front and 9.5" rear. These are a bit more do-able on a firstgen.

Member mkelcy used these. He used some giant 3" and some thick spacers to make it work. He had them on the car in Billings, summer of '06. They looked good, and didn't fall off running the Beartooth Pass. Search threads started by him spring of 06.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 08, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

nothing really important just like the look and its a very wide wheel i can get fairly cheap.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 08, 09:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
Member mkelcy used these. He used some giant 3" and some thick spacers to make it work. He had them on the car in Billings, summer of '06. They looked good, and didn't fall off running the Beartooth Pass. Search threads started by him spring of 06.
That would be "giant" 2" bolt-on spacers for standard C5 wheels 8.5" front and 9.5" rear.

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 08, 12:16 AM
Senior Tech
Len Barron

Quote:
nothing really important just like the look and its a very wide wheel i can get fairly cheap.
It will be cheaper to spend the money on custom wheels that have the ZR1 look than mini-tubbing and buying good quality spacers. It would be very easy to drop $1500 in just the mini-tub job.

Len
67 SS-350 Convert.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 08, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Talking Re: want to use zr1 wheels

Very True On The Money Disapearing Fast, Maybe I Will Look Into Custom Wheels And Go A Little Bit Smaller Thanks Everyone For Your Input!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode