Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 08, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Tire warning....

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

One at Team Chevelle.... but no accident.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 08, 02:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Re: Tire warning....

I had no idea. Will check all of our familys cars. Thanks.

There are no problems only solutions

68 Camaro, RS/SS, ZZ502, Retrotek Fuel Injection, 4 Speed.

2010 RS/2SS Black, 6 speed trans
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 08, 03:01 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Our Impala got new 60K tires 4 years ago and with 40K on them the tires need replacing. I went back to the place we got them and they refused to honor the pro-rated wear on the tires. Turns out the tires were 2 years old when we bought them and we were told being 6 years old voids the coverage...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 08, 06:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

This really makes me wonder what to do with those four brand new tires I have in the basement. They've been there almost 6 years now and never been mounted.

Jeff
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 08, 06:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Its too bad that the tire industry gets away with this. Lives are at stake and many are not aware how old the new tires are they just bought. The company I work for does forensic examination , product failure analysis which includes tire failure. This is more wide spread than you think....

Kev
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 08, 07:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyAte View Post
Its too bad that the tire industry gets away with this. Lives are at stake and many are not aware how old the new tires are they just bought. The company I work for does forensic examination , product failure analysis which includes tire failure. This is more wide spread than you think....

Kev
Wait until the law suits start now. The tire industry will not be getting away with it for long.

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 08, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
Wait until the law suits start now. The tire industry will not be getting away with it for long.
This will be kind of hard since there is no more registration of the DOT numbers anymore. This action has removed the liability from the manfacturer to the distributor. Its his responsibility to sell a fresh product, or not.

And you know they are going to sell every tire because they don't want to pay for a hazmat disposal fee.

Most tire manf's recommend tire life being seven years, but not written in stone.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 08, 08:38 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

This has been surfacing in the news for several years. There is certainly some merit to the warnings but I have to ask, has anyone seen any statistics? Selling old new tires has to go back to at least the 50's or 60's. I guess I'm just wondering at what point does an old tire really become a risk, is being sold a 2 year old new tire acceptable, how about a 4 year old new tire? I put 40k miles on a set of tires in 4 years, someone else puts 60k or more in a year. I keep my tires properly inflated, do any studys address if the old new tires that caused problems were properly inflated?

If something is done about this are we all willing to wait 6 weeks for custom ordered tires when the tire stores don't stock tires any longer? I certainly don't wish to see folks subjected to needless risks but if the problems with old new tires are isolated to abusive use and conditions or over zellious media and legal system I would hate to see not only an increase in costs but long waits for tires.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 08, 11:58 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Most tyre fitting companies in NZ will not sell 2nd hand tyres...they knife thenm regardless of age or wear
There is talk of regulation also
We have 6 month car warrent of fittness here...every car has to pass...tyrs are checked for tread and delamination and flat spots...these are fails
We have 4 cars between the missus and I, due to low milage on each we seem to have never worn a tyre out...except the camaro...
Tyres open to sun etc do break down, yes 6/7 yrs is about the norm...which is far better than tyres where 30+ yrs back.

In NZ we just basically accept that this is the case.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 08, 01:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
This has been surfacing in the news for several years. There is certainly some merit to the warnings but I have to ask, has anyone seen any statistics? Selling old new tires has to go back to at least the 50's or 60's. I guess I'm just wondering at what point does an old tire really become a risk, is being sold a 2 year old new tire acceptable, how about a 4 year old new tire? I put 40k miles on a set of tires in 4 years, someone else puts 60k or more in a year. I keep my tires properly inflated, do any studys address if the old new tires that caused problems were properly inflated?

If something is done about this are we all willing to wait 6 weeks for custom ordered tires when the tire stores don't stock tires any longer? I certainly don't wish to see folks subjected to needless risks but if the problems with old new tires are isolated to abusive use and conditions or over zellious media and legal system I would hate to see not only an increase in costs but long waits for tires.
Dennis...
From what I understand, 6 years is a standard time frame to get rid of tires. This is a BIG rule in the RV industry where control of a house on wheels is at the utmost importance. The easiest way to tell when tires need replacing is cracking of the side wall. The six year thing seems to work pretty good. Many factors get involved like amount of time in direct sunlight or even day light. Harsh weather, heat and cold also shortens actual safe time a tire should be used. Someone who spends their commuting at highway speeds will need to replace tires sooner than hobbyist drives like most old car owners. Yes, the burden should be on the backs of the tire manufacturer and even the tire dealer however the purchaser should be made aware of what to look for when purchasing and using the tire. Heck...every medication today has dozens of "May Cause" alerts so why doesn't the tire I say everyone should pass the date code info to all they know and warn them about the examination of the sidewall cracks and we can prevent many losses to cars, personal property and lives.

Kev
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 08, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Dennis... some of those tires they bought for the story were 6-12 years old, one was 14.But all were "new" never installed (still had the whiskers). The unsuspecting would most likely never check. I know I wouldn't want my family in or near that car.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 08, 07:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

As someone who worked in the tire & auto industry back in the 1990's; I personally or the employees I managed were told to rotate the older inventory to the front and put the newly received tires in the back. Kind of like you local grocery store or corporate super market.

Many of the clips shown on that video were strips/pieces of truck tires which were re-treads. At least in Illinois and I'm sure other states as well you are not allowed to sell or install retreads on the front steering tires. The problem with retreads is the casing can be 7, 8, 10 years old sometimes.

The worst enemy of a tire is actually heat. Heat causes them to expand and blow out if they are under-inflated or if there is a nail stuck in the tire which will cause it too lose air and blow out. In Texas where it can get really hot & dry at times a tire will dry-rot after 4 or 5 years and become much more of a hazard than lets say in Illinois. Yes Up here we get snow, ice, salt on our roads in the winter etc. But the cooler temperatures actually help tire life if you can believe it or not.

Many of the vehicles shown in the video were Ford Explorer's from the late 1990's. In 2001 there was a MASSIVE recall on P235/75/R15 Firestone Wilderness Radial AT/ATX tires. These were replaced as part of the Firestone Recall back in 2001. Ford & Firestone argued with one another & the P255/70/R16's were also recalled. That was a poorly constructed tire to begin with as the Uniroyal Tiger Paw Plus & XTM.... Alot of General's were garbage too...

The funny thing is with the redesigned Explorer Ford put P235/70R16 on them which was 2 sizes smaller than the P255/70R16 it replaced in the older model. So you had a smaller tire on a heavier vehicle. Firestone blamed the mess on Ford. But it was the poor design of the tire and the age of it as well which caused the tire to fail.

The bottom line is, check your tires every time you put gas in your car or at least once a month walk around and look at the way they are wearing. The tires are the only thing that keep your vehicle in contact with the road. A properly inflated set of tires, rotated every other oil change, and well maintained; will last you 7+ years and 85,000 - 90,000 miles...How do I know? I have seen it and I've personally done it on a set of P255/70R16's as well.

1) 1969 Camaro RS 396 TH 400, 12 bolt 3:73 sold 1994

2) 1984 Z28, 5.0 H.O. T-Tops, G92 3:73, sold 1994
3) 1988 5.7L IROC-Z, sold 1994
4) 1969 Camaro bought 2006, back on the road in 2010

Last edited by South Side Goons & Hitmen; Oct 23rd, 08 at 08:13 AM. Reason: oil
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 08, 05:28 PM
Tech Team
Mike

You guys are scaring me into replacing my BFG's that I bought new in 1993. And to think I took these things past 100+!!!

Mike A. Mesa Arizona
1968 SS clone. Vortec crate 350HO TKO500 vintage air
3.42 Detroit Truetrac rearend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode