Experiences with 17" tires and ride quality? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 08, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Experiences with 17" tires and ride quality?

I am looking at going to the 17" mixed front and rear tires. I am wanting a driver mainly. I am more interested in the quality of ride (comfort & low noise) over performance handling.
With the experience of the guys that have made the change, what tire gives you the best ride with less noise?
(After earlier posts from the forum, I have done the following)
Car has Hotchkis frames connectors, Speedtech front U/A, Hotchikis 1 1/8 bar, new bushings on suspension and subframe. new stock springs and std shocks, new Steering gear from ATS.
Have not yet got it to an alignment shop, but looks like it may not need the G-mod to get the neg camber.....will check that out later.

Thanks for all the help,

1969 Camaro Z-11 Pace Car
350cu/300HP -
Convertible RS/SS- Muncie M20 - posi 3.31, 12 bolt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 08, 04:52 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: Experiences with 17" tires and ride quality?

I'm running nitto 555's 235/45 and 255/45 on 17" wheels and ride quality is much nicer than 235/60's on 15" steel wheels. With the right components you can have a very comfortable car. Here's a thread you started a few months ago that gets into this for review...

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...t=ride+quality

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 08, 06:15 PM
Senior Tech

Decide what size tires and wheels you want to go to and then go to www.tirerack.com and do a tire search by size. Then read the survey results and see what consumers have to say about the ride quality and noise level of the tires your considering. Keep in mind this information is subjective though. This should help you pick out something that you will be happy with. Something else to consider when picking out sizes is the taller the sidewall the better the ride quality should be. For example a 50s series tire should ride better than a 40s series tire just because the sidewall is taller. Good luck with what ever you choose.

Jack

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 08, 10:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

I'm running Goodyear Eagle HP 245/45/17 front and 255/45/17 rear and the ride quality is BETTER than the cheap 15" tires I had before.

I'd get 235 fronts instead of the 245s next time - the 245s slightly rub.

Now, the Goodyear Eagle HP traction really stinks and I'll choose something else next time, but they didn't cost too much. But they ride nice!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 08, 05:36 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

17's are probably the max I would go in wheel size because your tire profile starts getting pretty low and you really start to feel the bumps in the road more. I put 16x8 V45's with 245/50/16 and 255/50/16 tires on my old 68 and it was a great combination. The ride was comfortable and the handling was a lot better than the old 15's that were on it. The tire selection gets a lot better once you get to 16" wheels so you should be fine with either 16 or 17. Cost was really the factor for me. 16" wheels are less expensive and the same with the tires.

Jeff H
69 Z28 Hugger Orange original factory JL8 brakes, being restored
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 08, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks, for the quick response.
Dennis I really like your white wonder's appearance with the 17" wheels. What wheel are you using?
I am trying to stay with the rallye wheel look on the 17s since it is a pace car; I have not found the wheels yet. I am looking at the Vintique steel rallye wheel. (still will keep my original 15" wheels if ever needed)
I also have noticed the price difference on the 17" compared to the 16"; is it worth the difference to go to the 17" ? $ is not a real factor, if it's worth it.

1969 Camaro Z-11 Pace Car
350cu/300HP -
Convertible RS/SS- Muncie M20 - posi 3.31, 12 bolt
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 08, 11:31 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by llpainter View Post
Thanks, for the quick response.
Dennis I really like your white wonder's appearance with the 17" wheels. What wheel are you using?
I am trying to stay with the rallye wheel look on the 17s since it is a pace car; I have not found the wheels yet. I am looking at the Vintique steel rallye wheel. (still will keep my original 15" wheels if ever needed)
I also have noticed the price difference on the 17" compared to the 16"; is it worth the difference to go to the 17" ? $ is not a real factor, if it's worth it.
Thanks, the wheels are Budnik Anvil5's...

For 17" rallys PM Skip (sketter55), he has billet rallys on his '69 and can point you to where he got them. I would stay away from a 17" steel wheel if you want ride quality, it will be too rigid. Good billet wheels are much less rigid or stiff and you can run lower profile tires. The old mind set that less sidewall means harsher ride doesn't really apply if the wheel is quality and intended for low profile tires. As I said my 17" wheels and tires provide a better ride than the 15" rallys and 60 series tires I use to run. Check out any modern luxury car and you'll see big wheels and short sidewalls. Never would have happened if they didn't stand up to the bumps in the road or made the ride worse.

Check the stampings on your 15" rallys, you might be able to make some Z/28 owners day depending on what you have. Your pace car came with 14" wheels from the factory...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 08, 03:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mr. Tibbs

Send a message via AIM to ChevyThunder

I am running 17 inch all the way around on my Z with Hotchkis leafs , springs and sway bars. Have koni shocks and speed tech upper and lower control arms. Global West two piece bushings . I find the ride to be very comfortable .

" Burn rubber not your Soul "
Camaro,Camaro,Camaro,Camaro
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 08, 03:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mr. Tibbs

Send a message via AIM to ChevyThunder

Hurry .. these may be the ticket for you

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=144829

" Burn rubber not your Soul "
Camaro,Camaro,Camaro,Camaro
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 08, 01:06 PM
Tech Team
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyThunder View Post
I am running 17 inch all the way around on my Z with Hotchkis leafs , springs and sway bars. Have koni shocks and speed tech upper and lower control arms. Global West two piece bushings . I find the ride to be very comfortable .
What rims are those?

Also what tire size are you running?

Thanks

69 Camaro
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 08, 05:32 AM

Just wondering.... You guys on this forum seem to have twice the knowledge as I have found on any firebird forums I have found. Do these tire sizes work for Firebirds as well. I would guess both first gen cars would be the same but not sure.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 08, 05:07 PM
Senior Tech
Len Barron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreen67 View Post
Just wondering.... You guys on this forum seem to have twice the knowledge as I have found on any firebird forums I have found. Do these tire sizes work for Firebirds as well. I would guess both first gen cars would be the same but not sure.
Backspacing on the wheels would have to be adjusted for a firebird since the rear ends are an 1" wider, fronts would be different as well due to hubs (drum cars at least) that push the tires out about .500" farther than a camaro hub.

Len
67 SS-350 Convert.
406/200r4/12b 3.73's Truetrac

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 08, 06:04 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCAC_Man View Post
Backspacing on the wheels would have to be adjusted for a firebird since the rear ends are an 1" wider, fronts would be different as well due to hubs (drum cars at least) that push the tires out about .500" farther than a camaro hub.
Len can you provide more on the 1st gen firebird rears being longer? This is the first I have ever heard and when I had a '67 12 bolt with the torsion rod brackets on both sides the thought was it was either added (the weld told the story) or was a firebird rear and nobody ever questioned the axle width...

...Dennis

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 08, 08:17 AM
Senior Tech
Len Barron

The only side by side comparison I ever did was between the 1967 firebird 10bolt and a 1968 camaro 12bolt, the firebird rear was 1" wider, I don't recall the actual dimension but I think it was 60" or 60.5" wms for the firebird rear (my CRS is kicking in...)
Just rechecked this, the firebird 10bolt was 61".

Len
67 SS-350 Convert.
406/200r4/12b 3.73's Truetrac

Last edited by LCAC_Man; Nov 22nd, 08 at 10:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode