TT2's Rubbing - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 08, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

TT2's Rubbing

Finally got my TT2's on, and guess what. They rub. I have 17x9.5 with a 5.5BS. The passenger side rubs on the inside, and the drivers side rubs on the outside. Now, my question is this. Do you think I should go with a 17X8 4.75BS, or what would be the next step down. I have just about had it with this car!!! Any info would be a great help.

Aaron
69 Hugger Orange Z wanna be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 08, 07:43 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Re: TT2's Rubbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggerZ View Post
Finally got my TT2's on, and guess what. They rub. I have 17x9.5 with a 5.5BS. The passenger side rubs on the inside, and the drivers side rubs on the outside. Now, my question is this. Do you think I should go with a 17X8 4.75BS, or what would be the next step down. I have just about had it with this car!!! Any info would be a great help.
Need a little clarification; do you have 17x9.5 on all 4? Or just the back? Your BS is correct for the rear, but I'm afraid I can't see a 9.5 on the front. And...are you talking tires rubbing or the wheel????????? What size tires?

Learning & Relearning about the cars I grew up with.
69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 08, 08:37 PM
Senior Tech
Len Barron

Quote:
Tire size?
Quite a few of us have posted that 9.5" wide with 5.5" bs would not fit on our particular cars. You really need to measure your car. I went with 8" wide and 5.125 bs.

Len
67 SS-350 Convert.
406/200r4/12b 3.73's Truetrac

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 08, 04:13 AM
Team Member
Mark

Quote:
We really need to know your tire size and if it's the front or rear your talking about. I have 17"x9.5" with a 5.5" bs on the rear of my '68 with 275\40\17 tires and have no rubbing at all.

Mark
'68 RS/SS Camaro, 350 c.i./400 hp, Thumper Cam, Hurst shifter, Muncie M-21, Pypes 2 1/2" H-pipe w/Vilator Mufflers, 18" Rushforth Battery Wheels
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 08, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have the 9.5 just on the rear. The tire size is 275/40/17. If I hit a little bump, the right side rubs on the inside wheel well. I have 9 miles on them and the inside of my wheel well looks like a mirror, nice and shiny steel.

Aaron
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 08, 06:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Send a message via MSN to Mike_M

Sounds to me like you might have the exact same issue I have - the rear end is not centered. My camaro isn't on the road yet so I haven't figured out how to fix this, but apparently it is a very common issue, the rear being shifted 1/2" to the passenger side seems to be a recurring theme. It's not particularly evident with narrow original size wheels & tires, but becomes quite an issue with modern wide tires and a low stance. If you do a seach on here you'll find a lot of interesting reading. Some people claim success with unbolting everything and are able to shift the rear end far enough to make it work, this is what I'm hoping for once I get the car back from the body shop. In my case the clearance between the driver side tire sidewall and the inner fender is about 1/8", and on the passenger side it is about 1". I am also using 17x9.5" wheels with 5.5" BS, 275/40/17 tires.

Drivers side: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...Aug_17_08b.jpg

Passenger side: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...Aug_17_08a.jpg

This is a particularly interesting thread on lateral-g.net dealing with the issue:
http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/show...213#post175213

Mike...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Mike_M; Nov 13th, 08 at 06:23 AM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 08, 06:27 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
I have the 9.5 just on the rear. The tire size is 275/40/17. If I hit a little bump, the right side rubs on the inside wheel well. I have 9 miles on them and the inside of my wheel well looks like a mirror, nice and shiny steel.
OK. Again, your BS is correct. You can possibly use a spacer to stop the inside rub, but you'll probably have to roll the lip for the other. Yeah, there are a lot of guys who use 275/40, but some of them had to roll the lips. And there's just as many of us who couldn't fit 275/40's, like me, and we went with 255's just because of this. Hell, my 255's caused me to have to slightly roll the lip, and they barely clear inside rub.

It's just the way it is. All of these 40yr old cars are different. My tire dealer was prepared to exchange 275's for 255's if I had an issue, but after measuring, my gut told me to just go 255....and man was I glad I did.

Learning & Relearning about the cars I grew up with.
69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 08, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_M View Post
Sounds to me like you might have the exact same issue I have - the rear end is not centered. My camaro isn't on the road yet so I haven't figured out how to fix this, but apparently it is a very common issue, the rear being shifted 1/2" to the passenger side seems to be a recurring theme. It's not particularly evident with narrow original size wheels & tires, but becomes quite an issue with modern wide tires and a low stance. If you do a seach on here you'll find a lot of interesting reading. Some people claim success with unbolting everything and are able to shift the rear end far enough to make it work, this is what I'm hoping for once I get the car back from the body shop. In my case the clearance between the driver side tire sidewall and the inner fender is about 1/8", and on the passenger side it is about 1". I am also using 17x9.5" wheels with 5.5" BS, 275/40/17 tires.

Drivers side: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...Aug_17_08b.jpg

Passenger side: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...Aug_17_08a.jpg

This is a particularly interesting thread on lateral-g.net dealing with the issue:
http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/show...213#post175213
Thanks Mike.
I will have to do some more research and measuring. And if all fails, I might have to roll the lip, and straighten the rear end. BTW I an a member of Lateral-G also.

Aaron
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 08, 09:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Thanks Mike.
I will have to do some more research and measuring. And if all fails, I might have to roll the lip, and straighten the rear end. BTW I an a member of Lateral-G also.
Yeah, I don't post there very much, mostly lurk, but there's an awful lot of great information on that site. As Kevin said, a spacer on one side and a rolled lip on the other might be the way we both have to go. I'm hoping to center mine up enough not to need either, but I've already got the spacer to use hopefully temporarily until I get the car home and can work on it. On mine there appears to be LOTS of room for the 275's, if everything were centered. Keep us updated on what you find, I'm interested to know how you make out with it. Good luck.

Mike...

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 08, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Where do you get your wheel spacers? I found some from Mr. gasket, but they look WAY to thick. Also if you use a spacer, Do you need longer wheel studs?

Aaron
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 08, 01:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Where do you get your wheel spacers? I found some from Mr. gasket, but they look WAY to thick. Also if you use a spacer, Do you need longer wheel studs?
I got mine from my local tire & wheel place. They are 1/4" thick. I'm not sure about the longer studs, I would imagine if you were using a thicker spacer you would definitely need longer studs. I'm hoping to just use the spacer to prevent rubbing while I'm moving the car around, and be able to get the rear end centered properly and do away with the spacer by the time I actually get the car on the road. I am very uncomfortable with the thought of wheel spacers, seems at best a temporary fix until the actual problem can be corrected. With the 1/4" spacer I'm going to use the existing studs, but definitely be gentle on the car at all with the spacer in there.

Edit: I just did a quick search at Jegs.com and found this:
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...%2Bmatchallany

They seem kind of expensive, though... I think I paid about $20 for mine....

Mike...

Last edited by Mike_M; Nov 13th, 08 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Add link
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 08, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks Mike,
I think I will wait and see what happens with my 12 bolt. When I put that and my new springs in maybe I can center the housing a little better. I am also a little leary about using spacers. Thanks again for all the advice.

Aaron
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 08, 09:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Just an update, I got the wheels on the car with the spacer on the one side last night, even with the 1/4" spacer I think longer wheel studs would be advisable. There was hardly any stud sticking through the wheel at all. I don't think I'd feel safe actually driving the car like this.

Mike...

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 08, 02:54 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

I put a 1/4" spacer on on my passenger side wheel and 1/2" longer studs about a year ago.
Sure helped my rubbing issues.

[U]1969 cloneish Z28

350,9.6 comp,Vortec heads,Crane 274ho6,rpm air gap,Flowmaster
HEI,Holley 600 DP,4 speed 3.11 first,Hotchkis suspension,3.08 rear... need posi.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 08, 12:09 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

GM also used factory spacers on the front of some 3rd gen Camaros. They are fairly thin and might be good for fine tuning your rubbing issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode