Specific wheel advice - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 08, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Eric

Specific wheel advice

Hi all,

Here are the wheels I would like to get under my car.
http://asp.americanracing.com/dealer...ega/m105MA.jpg

They are American Racing Torque Thrust M (Anthracite) (Series 105MA)
Here is the information from the web site on available sizes.

Part No. Size Offset Backside Bolt Circle Note
105M28592A 20x8.5 20 5 1/2 5x115
105M28561A 20x8.5 0 4 3/4 5x4 3/4
105M7961A 17x9 45 6 3/4 5x4 3/4
105M7861A 17x8 0 4 1/2 5x4 3/4
105M71561A 17x10.5 44 7 1/2 5x4 3/4

Sorry no matter how I try to space this out the numbers all run together.
Here is a link to the web site http://www.americanracing.com/browse_ar.asp
it will not let me like directly to the wheel itself.

I was hoping to go with the 17X 8 in the front
and the 17X9 in the rear.

Is this possible with the sizes they have listed? I am pulling the car apart this winter so now is the time to replace what I need as far as suspension to allow the wheels/tires fit.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

69 Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 08, 06:31 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Re: Specific wheel advice

Your dealer can tell AR what size and BS you want. All you have to do is tell them what year car and they can tell YOU that you'll need 4.75 front BS and 5.5" BS. And yeah, no problem with the size you want.
Just contact the site. AR sells tons of wheels for our cars.

Learning & Relearning about the cars I grew up with.
69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 08, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Eric

So I can get that specific wheel in different sizes and backspacings other than what they have listed on their web sight?

I will give them a call sometime soon and see what they say.

I have no idea what springs/set up is in the front as it was on the car when I got it

The back I took from mono leaf to multiple-leaf, and I am also running a ford 9". I also do not know much about the 9" as it came out of a dirt track nova. I just got lucky that it fit under my camaro w/ no cutting.
My pinion angle is a little down but I plan on either getting shims or cutting off the brackets and re welding them into a better position.
Hopefully that is a project down the road

69 Camaro

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 08, 07:38 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Not all wheels are offered as custom sizes. You need to talk with the company to find out what they do produce in custom sizes. The wheels they mass produce will double in price if they do custom sizing which requires them to build per order. There will also be a 4-6 week delivery time on custom orders.

Not trying to talk you out of a custom size wheel, it's the best way to get the look you are after, just want you to know what you are in for. If you custom order them wrong don't be expecting to return them, they don't stock non standard sizes.

Check the threads stuck at the top of this forum for what fits, 17x9.5 with 5.5" bs out back and 17x8 with 4.75" bs fits on most 69's but brake type effects how they fit.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 08, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Eric

Sorry if this is a dumb question but does this mean that its 5.5 back spacing?

Part No. 105M7961A
Size 17x9
Offset 45
Backside 6 3/4
Bolt Circle 5x4 3/4

I am guessing not. So I may be stuck with 17X8 all around. Not a big deal, but I was hoping for a stagger look

The brakes are just drum brakes but I would have no problems converting to disc in order to make the wheels fit.

I was really hoping to not have to go w/ a custom wheel. I am hoping to just be able to make what they sell stock fit to my car.

69 Camaro

Last edited by Slow69; Nov 13th, 08 at 08:14 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 08, 08:10 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow69 View Post
Sorry if this is a dumb question but does this mean that its 5.5 back spacing?

Part No. 105M7961A
Size 17x9
Offset 45
Backside 6 3/4
Bolt Circle 5x4 3/4

The brakes are just drum brakes but I would have no problems converting to disc in order to make the wheels fit.

I was really hoping to not have to go w/ a custom wheel. I am hoping to just be able to make what they sell stock fit to my car.
No it's 6.75" back spacing which is what they are calling backside... Check the "wheel measurment" thread stuck at the top of the forum then follow the 1st link in the thread for more.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 08, 08:47 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
Not all wheels are offered as custom sizes. You need to talk with the company to find out what they do produce in custom sizes.
True. I assumed the model he mentioned were so common that they'd be available with specs we most commonly use. A call will settle it

Learning & Relearning about the cars I grew up with.
69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 08, 09:30 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Garage

The only thing that concerns me is the Ford 9" rear end.

I would suggest that you measure the length (axle flange to axle flange) of the Ford 9" and compare it to the stock rear end to see if it is the same. Hopefully, it will be ... or very close.....

That will let you drop that variable from the equation and allow you to just size wheels for a 1969 Camaro w/ disk in front and drum in the back.

Steve -
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350, TH350, factory air, factory AM/FM, factory tilt wheel, console w/ gauges - Daytona Yellow
- 1969 Van Nuys Camaro Database
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 08, 09:44 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccorry View Post

I would suggest that you measure the length (axle flange to axle flange) of the Ford 9" and compare it to the stock rear end to see if it is the same. Hopefully, it will be ... or very close.....

That will let you drop that variable from the equation and allow you to just size wheels for a 1969 Camaro w/ disk in front and drum in the back.
Good one. And make sure you buy wheels to fit whatever bolt circle might be on the Ford rear as well.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 08, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccorry View Post

Yes this was one thing that was concerning me as well. I am guessing they are about the same. I am using the same wheels and tires on it now that I had when the stock 10 bolt was in place. Although the wheels did rub just a smidge before I changed to the 9".
I am not sure if this was fixed because I also put multi leaf springs on or if the wheels sit out just a little more.

Dont worry I will be calling you over when I get to the measuring part of the project.
But I bet you knew that already.

I am not in any hurry I still havent even gotten the front apart. But I thought I would put this post up and get opinions in advance.

DJ. I did read the sticky posts, but to be honest, the whole tire suspension geometry thing is over my head. What makes it hard is I am guessing I do not have stock springs in the front. I plan on replacing most of the front suspension over this winter. I am just trying to figure out what to buy in order to get everything to fit.

Right now the only thing I was kind of sure of was the wheel choice. So I thought I would start there and try to make everything else fit around that.

I was on AR website and they seem to mostly use dealers to answer all the questions. I was hoping I could just send them an email or message or something. No such luck.

I did find a phone number I need to call. I will try that and see if I have any other options than the ones listed on their website.

I did their(American Racing) application web page for a 69 Camaro and the wheels I want came up as a choice. But they listed the 17x8 and the 20x8.5 as sizes that would fit.

I do not think I want to mess w/ 20 inch wheels in the back.

Anyways thanks for the help so far. This whole process is kind of overwhelming.

69 Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode