Help-18" Wheel Deal - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 08, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Help-18" Wheel Deal

First, I appologize if I did this picture wrong. It took a while to get this far. I have an oppotunity to get some 18" Foose wheels for my 67. I will say i have stock disc brakes, springs and so on. I am really into having the correct stance on the car. I do not know much about the 18" stuff. They are 18x7 and 18x8. i know I need the backspace info. In reading posts here there is not alot on 18" rims. Are these too big? Will I have to change springs and other stuff? Or is a quick switch from current to new? They were originally purchased for a 68 and never picked up. Any help is really appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 08, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Re: Help-18" Wheel Deal

Actually, i think I found the answer on a previous post. Caught in a daze. I think there is too much mods I will have to make.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 08, 05:40 PM
Senior Tech

The widths are not to wide at all. It's all in the backspace. It doesn't matter what the wheel diameter is. It can be anywhere from 15" to dare I say it 20". It comes down to overall wheel/tire height, width, and wheel backspace. Most guys here use an 8" wheel in the front with a 4.75" backspace and a 235 or 245 tire. In the rear a 9" or 9.5" wheel with a 5.25" on the 9" and a 5.5" on the 9.5" and a 255 or 275 tire. I'm not sure what mods you're talking about but with 18" wheels on these cars look their best a couple of inches lower that stock. If you need more help just ask.

Jack

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 08, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Thanks, i am learning as i go. I found out the backspace on the rims are 4.25"...all of them. I also called a rim place on the West coast to see what they said. Basically it is what you said in the last post. They stated that if the rims are made correctly for the car there is no need to change suspension, springs or anything else to lower it. That would be good. I do not want to blow money on a good deal if 4.25" will not work.
Again opinions from more knowing people is a big help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode