15s or 17s traction - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 08, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

15s or 17s traction

Im looking to buy new wheels and tires for my 67, I cant decide if I should stay with 15 inch(rear 275 60) wheels or make the switch to 17s. Will those 17s hook up? I have 450hp 4 speed 3.73 posi mono springs and caltracs. If I go with the 15s I was looking at a jegs wheel & tire package for the camaro, if I go 17s Im looking at TT's, and want to use a street drag radial. This is a street car but I want to be able to race when needed and not have spinning as a issue. thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 08, 12:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Re: 15s or 17s traction

If this was your daily driver I would tell you go w/ 15's as the wider the tire the worse the wet traction in the winter. Trust me when I say a P215/65/R15 put a 3rd gen Camaro in better shape in the winter than the same car w/ 245/50R16....That being said this car I assume is not a daily driver and you don't drive it in snow & ice.

If you are going to race it you can always get a set of 15x8 Chevy Rally's for the rear w/ some 15" drag radials. BF Goodrich makes an excellent P275/60R15 drag radial http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/overv...dial/1161.html In my past experience 15" tires were always less expensive in a common size than 16 or 17" sizes. That was especially true in P215/65/R15 or P235/60R15 vs P245/50R16 or P275/40R17 which are the +1 equivalents.

You can always buy a set of 17's for cruising and when it's time to race switch to the 15x8 Rally's with the P275/60R15. Good Luck and Be Safe!!

P.S. BFG does make the drag radial in a 17" size which will fit your car. But when you are going w/ 17's you are going to have to measure & re-measure and play around with offset and backspacing more than you would an old school 15x8 Rally. Here's the specs on the BFG drag radial and available sizes http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/specs...dial/1161.html

1) 1969 Camaro RS 396 TH 400, 12 bolt 3:73 sold 1994
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2) 1984 Z28, 5.0 H.O. T-Tops, G92 3:73, sold 1994
3) 1988 5.7L IROC-Z, sold 1994
4) 1969 Camaro bought 2006, back on the road in 2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 08, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for that info, very helpful in making my decision. I think Im gonna stick with 15 inch draglites and change from 275/60 15 to 275/50 15 to get a some what of a wider lower profile if you will. Has anybody got any experiance running both these tire sizes on one car ,if so whitch one do you recommend or prefer? thanks

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 08, 04:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Side Goons & Hitmen View Post
BFG does make the drag radial in a 17" size which will fit your car. But when you are going w/ 17's you are going to have to measure & re-measure and play around with offset and backspacing more than you would an old school 15x8 Rally. Here's the specs on the BFG drag radial and available sizes http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/specs...dial/1161.html
M/T also makes a good 17" DR, as does nitto. I'll be going to nitto's 555r, in 275-40-17, as soon as I find some extra coin.

As for the measuring....

Rim height doesn't matter at all as far as measuring. Typically, as rim ht goes up, aspect ratio goes down, and overall height stays close to the same.

What matters is the overall height of the wheel tire package, overall width at the sidewall, and offset.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 08, 07:25 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

I've run both the BFG and MT drag radial and in my opinion the MT is far better in wear and traction. Don't get me wrong the BFG is good, but the MT's are twice the tire. As for 15's or 17's it 's really going to come down to the look that you want, and what trad-offs in performance your willing to make. 17's are far better handling on the road as far as handling and curves, with a little "feel" for the road as well. This is due to less sidewall flex. Unfortunately it's that same shorter and stiffer sidewall that holds the 17's back at the track. A 275/60-R15 or even 255/60-R15 will have allot more sidewall and therefor more flex or give then a 275/40-R17 or 235/50-R17 although I haven't found the latter size in a DR only street treads. I will tell you however that I do run MT's 275/40-R17 with some spinning to an 11.83 in the 1/4. Keep in mind as well that my suspension is currently more geared to pro-touring than street/strip duty so that's part of my spinning issues for the first 60'.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss
We learn life's important lessons in kindergarten.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
1/[email protected]

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 08, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for that info, very helpful in making my decision. I think Im gonna stick with 15 inch draglites and change from 275/60 15 to 275/50 15 to get a some what of a wider lower profile if you will. Has anybody got any experiance running both these tire sizes on one car ,if so whitch one do you recommend or prefer? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode