Widest Back Tire without Mini Tub - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 08, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Vic

Cool Widest Back Tire without Mini Tub

what is the widest tire I can fit on the back of my camaro, without mini tubing? I have all stock quarters with no flaring and 12 bolt rear with factory drums.

Vic
1969 Camaro SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 08, 12:32 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Widest Back Tire without Mini Tub

Most of your answer is here https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=146928
It depends on what you want to do to get it to fit and how you car has weathered the last almost 40 years. The biggest combination I have seen is 295s on 10s BUT to get them to fit the 1/4 panel lip has to go. On the Foose Camaros they split the lip at the corner of the wheel opening front and rear and rolled the lip up until it was against the inside of the 1/4 panel. Besides that I think they also massaged the inside of the wheel house next to where the top of the tire would be. Other people have used a grinder to trim away most of the top of the lip on the 1/4 panel. If you don't want to force something to fit about the biggest that should work with little to no drama is a 275 on a 9.5 with 5.5 backspace. Sometimes even that combination will rub. I know that sounds like a cop out answer but we get back to all these cars are a little different and time and wear has not been as kind to all of them. Try to test fit something that is close or at the very least measure very carefully BOTH sides.

Jack
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 08, 02:32 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

Actually that about covers it. Safely 275's with some work 295's or maybe 305's (but modifications have to be made)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss
We learn life's important lessons in kindergarten.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1/[email protected]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 08, 02:42 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

You might also want to measure and see how your body is sitting on the rear frame. On mine it was almost 1/4-1/2 difference between sides. This will affect how much tire you can squeeze in as well.

Ed

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 08, 06:24 AM
Senior Tech
erik

I have 315/35/17 on mine with 17x9.5 and they don't rub or anything....fit great
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 08, 10:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumper View Post
I have 315/35/17 on mine with 17x9.5 and they don't rub or anything....fit great
Wow, your car is nice. What is the BS on those wheels?

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 08, 12:02 PM
Senior Tech
erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Wow, your car is nice. What is the BS on those wheels?
I would have to check but the best I can remember it was 5.5"
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 08, 12:26 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

Such a bland question....ride height has as much to do with it as anything. You can run 345's with air shocks(Wise Crack) or if you want it tucked up in the wheel well then that's a different story.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 08, 12:42 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
Such a bland question....ride height has as much to do with it as anything. You can run 345's with air shocks(Wise Crack) or if you want it tucked up in the wheel well then that's a different story.
That is true, I don't see how 315s would fit in the stock wheel wells unless the rear of car is sitting in the air.

Ed

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 08, 03:52 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Depends on what brand tires and the size of the rim to how they fit. The Sumitomo 315's really measure closer to 295's compared to Goodyear 315's. In that situation I could see them fitting.

Jeff H
69 Z28 Hugger Orange original factory JL8 brakes, being restored
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 08, 04:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

For the strip, here's my MT's. They are 26X11.5x16". They fit with no problems. Even clear the 3" exhaust. Sure, the lip is trimmed and the fenders are massaged a little, but it's a hotrod. And the next slicks are gonna be on 15" rims. Yep, messed up. But these are producing 1.65 60's.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 08, 05:04 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumper View Post
Can you give some details? Do you have factory 1/4s? What's the ride height? Would you be able to post a picture taken from a similar angle as Fred Ficarra? I have an all original sheet metal '69 and I can't get the 275s on 9.5s to work.

Jack
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 08, 09:46 PM
6D9
Senior Tech
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff H View Post
Depends on what brand tires and the size of the rim to how they fit. The Sumitomo 315's really measure closer to 295's compared to Goodyear 315's. In that situation I could see them fitting.

Nitto 555R's are the same way...

69 Camaro
491/AFR 315'S/Straub hyd roller
TH400/GV OD
9" 3.50
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 08, 01:00 PM
Senior Tech
erik

The tires are Sumitomo 315's. The car is on jack stands right now so the only pictures I have of it are older ones from in the summer. The car is not "jacked up". It is riding on Hotchkis lowering springs front and rear with their matched shocks! Nothing was done to the fender lips to make them fit either, they are not the originals but are Goodmarks that I didn't alter at all. The rearend is the has not been shortened but is out of a '69 which makes no difference.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 08, 02:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

I have 285/40/18 and my next set will be 275/40/18 the 285 rub the inner wheel well when you go up a big off camber curb drive way. Rims are 9.5x18 with 5.5 back space.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode