c5 Wagon wheels - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 08, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Viktor

Send a message via AIM to yevgenievich
c5 Wagon wheels

i got c5 wagon wheels that i want to put on my 67 camaro to be able to clear new disk brakes i got for the front. I am pretty sure i will need to run spacers but not sure how much. Wheels are 2 17x8.5" and 2 18x9.5"
Anybody have any idea?

EDIT:
i think i would need 2.5" spacers still not sure tho

1992 dodge stealth, base
1989 firebird T/A, ls1/t56
1967 Camaro
1991 V2500 Suburban
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 08, 11:33 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: c5 Wagon wheels

I don't know the answer to your question, but a 2.5" wheel spacer sounds like a train wreck waiting to happen. Measure the backspacing, which is from the back edge of the rim to the mounting pad and post back. A 9.5 rim generally likes 5.5 of BS on these cars in the rear and an 8 in rim likes in the area of 4.75 on the fronts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 08, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Viktor

i don't seem to be able to find the backspace specs for the wheels i got. I found that the front wheel got 56mm offset and the back ones got 61mm offset. I was reading the wheel sticky but not still not sure on how to convert those two into backspace numbers.

1992 dodge stealth, base
1967 Camaro
1991 V2500 Suburban

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 08, 08:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

1.875"-2.0" front; 2" rear - depending on your brakes.

Mike - '68 Camaro with lots of stuff done to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 08, 08:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkelcy View Post
1.875"-2.0" front; 2" rear - depending on your brakes.
kinda brief, Mike?
Poster is kinda new, may not know you are running these on your 68...

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 08, 07:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
kinda brief, Mike?
Poster is kinda new, may not know you are running these on your 68...
Hey, cut me some slack! I'm up in Seattle, facing a drive south on I5 today through about six mountain passes that may or may not want chains on my '68. I have chains, but I seriously doubt there's room for 275-40-18's and chains on the back end of a '68 Camaro.

Anyway, go here for how to convert offset to backspacing: http://www.skulte.com/adapterfaq.html and this is the basis for my suggestions above:

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 08, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Viktor

Nice looking 68 camaro. thanks for the info. I went ahead and ordered some adapters. The wheels are at my friends apartment currently. Here are the pics of them:

1992 dodge stealth, base
1967 Camaro
1991 V2500 Suburban
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 08, 06:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

I just nabbed a really clean set of those for $100.

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 08, 09:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
I just nabbed a really clean set of those for $100.
That's the really nice things about using the C5 wheels: they're cheap, plentiful and easily replaced if needed. I've got one set with Nitto 555's for summer and another set with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season run flat tires for longer trips in possibly dicey weather. Once I wear out the rear Pilot Sports, I'll go with something like a 255/40-18 to have clearance for chains, if needed.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 08, 07:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Chains, lol. Why not snow itres in winter (you drive your camaro in the snow??)?

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 08, 10:10 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

I want to see Mike make a few turns on ACH with snow studs. Notice I wrote "see", not "ride along with."

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 08, 06:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
Chains, lol. Why not snow itres in winter (you drive your camaro in the snow??)?
If you're in Seattle in mid-December when a big winter storm is predicted to hit, you need to be back home in SoCal, and there are six mountain passes you have to go through to get to SoCal, yes you drive your Camaro in snow if you have to. I didn't need the chains (other than to satisfy the requirement that you carry chains) and probably would have just parked the car if it came to that.

I take my car on reasonably frequent, moderately long, road trips (2,500 to 3,500 so far), so I like to be prepared for all kinds of weather. My "long haul" tires are Michelin Pilot Sport all season run flats, but even they weren't up the the snow conditions I was facing.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 08, 07:24 PM
Tech Team

Mike

I think your car looks great. I actually have a post about V40's going right now but am interested in the combination you are running. What wheel size front and rear, what tire size front and rear and how much adapter/spacer are you using front and rear. Also, any concerns about the adapter/spacers as I assume you have run them for awhile.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff
67 RS SS 383 stroker M20 3:73 12 bolt
74 Z28 100% original 58,000 miles 4speed A/C
2001 Corvette convertible red 6sp 20,000 miles
96 Z28 dealer added SLP 315hp LT1 4a 58,000 miles
98 Z28 SS convertible LS1 6m SLP#1300 12,000 miles
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 08, 07:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAD1NHS View Post
Mike

I think your car looks great. I actually have a post about V40's going right now but am interested in the combination you are running. What wheel size front and rear, what tire size front and rear and how much adapter/spacer are you using front and rear. Also, any concerns about the adapter/spacers as I assume you have run them for awhile.

Thanks,

Jeff
The wheels are stock C5 Corvette wheels with the stock Corvette offsets. The fronts are 17" in diameter and 8.5" wide. I run a 1.875" bolt on wheel adapter and 245-45-17 tires. The rears are 18" in diameter and 9.5" wide. I run a 2.0" bolt on wheel adapter and 275-40-18 tires. The adapter sizes may vary a bit based on your brake setup.

I've had no issues with the adapters at all, but many chain tire stores won't work on a car that uses them. That's not an issue for me or most of us who work on our own cars.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 08, 06:37 PM
Tech Team

Thanks for the wheel and tire size info, I copy and pasted it and put it in the Camaro file. Again car has great look.

Jeff

Jeff
67 RS SS 383 stroker M20 3:73 12 bolt
74 Z28 100% original 58,000 miles 4speed A/C
2001 Corvette convertible red 6sp 20,000 miles
96 Z28 dealer added SLP 315hp LT1 4a 58,000 miles
98 Z28 SS convertible LS1 6m SLP#1300 12,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode