tire going low on original wheel - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 08, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

tire going low on original wheel

I changed my tires to the original steel GM wheels a couple of weeks ago. One keeps going low, slowly. I loosened and retightened the stem. I am wondering if the wheel could have a leak? It runs straight and balanced easily so it is not damaged I assume.

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 08, 10:28 PM
Senior Tech
John

Re: tire going low on original wheel

How about where the tire seals on the wheel? Is that real clean? Might just be a bad seal along wheel.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 08, 11:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Gary,

Your best bet is to take it off the car and bring it to a tire repair facility that has a dunking tank. That way you can see exactly where it is coming from. If it wasn't really crazy busy in the shop I would walk a customer to the dunking tank where I worked back in the day and show him or her the leak. A leak could come from a variety of sources such as a rim leak, where the wheel weight is, around the valve stem, valve core, or a small pin hole in the thread that may need to be patched from the inside. If they are not brand new steel wheels and the wheels have some rust around the lip of the rim where the bead of the tire sits that will do it too.....

FWIW during my day I did not like Michelin's due to their propensity for rim leaks and it was much worse on Lincoln's & Cadillac's with aluminum rims (oxidation issues in the winter)or chrome plated wheels (also mostly in winter).

Good Luck and let us know how it goes!

SSG&H

1) 1969 Camaro RS 396 TH 400, 12 bolt 3:73 sold 1994
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2) 1984 Z28, 5.0 H.O. T-Tops, G92 3:73, sold 1994
3) 1988 5.7L IROC-Z, sold 1994
4) 1969 Camaro bought 2006, back on the road in 2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 08, 03:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Ditto the goons...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 08, 07:03 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

What SSG said, dunk tank finds leaks.

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 08, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

The only problem with the tank approach is the leak is very slow. But I will try it!

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 08, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Another at home trick is to fill the tire to max pressure on the sidewall and spray the tire, all of it including the valve stem, off the car, with window cleaner and look for tiny bubbles appearing. Slow leaks do appear after about 2-5 minutes. See the glob of bubbles.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 08, 08:39 AM
Senior Tech
Rex

Yes, small slow leaks can be hard to find. I they are unable to find the leak, I would have them install a new valve stem, clean the bead of the tire and the rim. Then they should put on bead sealer as well.

69 x-11..LS1, 420.88 horse to the tires,750 Holley Ultra DP, Torquer V2, darksides headers, PRC heads, 10.8:1 compression, forged bottom end, 5 speed. 2008 King Ranch F150 4x4.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 08, 09:29 AM
Senior Tech
Jon

Slime it.

http://www.slime.com/product_74_Tire_Sealant.html

I had a couple of tires that gave me fits. Sealed the beads, changed the stems, sprayed everywhere looking for the leaks. Finally put the green Slime in them. No more leaks.....

Just put the valve stem at the bottom, let all the air out, put the slime in and air the tire back up, then drive it to make sure the slime is evenly distributed.

Non flamable, wont explode, washes out with water if necessary.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 08, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Well I found the leak with Windex. It is on the bead about 1" off of the weld seam on the wheel. I sure hope it is not the wheel. I would hate to have to weld it now that it is restored. I guess it could be worse. Thanks guys.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 08, 12:22 PM
Senior Tech
Rex

there are companies out there you can send it to and get it back just like it is supposed to be for around 150 bucks

69 x-11..LS1, 420.88 horse to the tires,750 Holley Ultra DP, Torquer V2, darksides headers, PRC heads, 10.8:1 compression, forged bottom end, 5 speed. 2008 King Ranch F150 4x4.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 08, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Deflated it, cleaned in between the tire and rim. Now it is sealed just fine. I have never had this happen before.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 08, 01:47 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

2 words.. Bead sealer. Should be used on EVERY wheel when mounting tires.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 08, 03:59 PM
Senior Tech
Rex

A, this is my 500th post!!!!!!! I have seen this a few times on newer tires. Seems as if the manufactures have started to add a bar code on the bead, it sometimes it will cause a leak....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode