Need Help Hooking Up - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 09, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Need Help Hooking Up

Hey Guys,
I have a 383/450 horse engine in my 69. I took it up to the track a few months ago with zero succes. Granted, I ran with street tires but I thought it would hook at the track better than it does on the street.
I was dead wrong, my tires spun like I was on ice. I will probably take it to the track 1 time a yr. Currently I run B.F.G. KDW tires (275/35/18).
My question is, if I run the same tires in the street slick version, will that be enough to make me hook or do I need a true slick to hook.

Thanks, Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 09, 02:09 PM
Tech Team
Chris Robertson

Re: Need Help Hooking Up

What do you have for suspension?? There are alot of big HP cars that hook on Drag Radials. Tires are one thing, but proper chassis tuning & components is what makes the car hook at the hit.

Frost Green '68 Coupe (yes they made Camaros that year); Dart Alum headed, dynamically balanced 327; Mighty Demon 750; 4sp; Cal-Tracs Rear Susp; ProCar Rally 1000's seats; 15" Rallys. (pretty plain-jane)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 09, 03:17 PM
Senior Tech

Did you drive around the bleach box at the strip? Anything with tread should stay well away from the water; dry burnouts are the only way to go. Taking a low profile tire with tread though the bleach box would make it real hard to hook up.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 09, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

The suspension has QA1 coil overs front and rear. Moser rear with 373 gears. I did avoid the bleach box but it didn't matter I just sizzled the tires. I just want to be sure the drag radials will hook before I spend $500 for them

Mike
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 09, 04:17 PM
Tech Team
Chris Robertson

Mike, it sounds as though you have very tunable/adjustable suspension. Drag radials have come a long way over the past few years. Mickey Thompson is making one of the best biting DR's on the market right now. Actually hard to find them in stock at some places. I feel confident that DR's would be a safe & necessary investment.

Frost Green '68 Coupe (yes they made Camaros that year); Dart Alum headed, dynamically balanced 327; Mighty Demon 750; 4sp; Cal-Tracs Rear Susp; ProCar Rally 1000's seats; 15" Rallys. (pretty plain-jane)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 09, 08:04 PM
Senior Tech
cave dweller

Yeah, Mickey Thompson Street drag radials are awesome. I went through the same thing in my 2004 GTO. First time to the dragstip, all I did was spin at the line. I got a pair of M/T drag radials and was able to hook solid. M/T makes a 265/40R18, but I would recommend getting a light weight pair of 17" wheels (at least 8" wide, preferably 9" wide) and mount of pair of M/T Street drag radials in the 275/40R17 size. Just slap on the wheels and tires on race night. A word of warning, don't drive on M/T drag radials in the rain (scary stuff).

1968 Camaro - neglected project
2004 Pontiac GTO - lots of mods
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 09, 04:25 AM
Senior Tech

If you're going to have a spare set of sticky tires for your car get some real slicks. You don't need any tread at the strip.

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 09, 06:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

also lower air pressure in the rear tires

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 09, 06:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Michael Gekko

If you have the QA-1 shocks then I would assume you have sub frame connectors and a traction device like slapper bars. You may want to try some Cal Trac bars if the slappers don't help. Guys on 9 inch tires, stick trans, big blocks run high 9's in NHRA stock eliminator with Cal Tracs.

The radials will likely serve you well, but if you find a deal on Hoosier Quick Time Pros give them a try. I had my best 60 foot with them and saw a hint of cords showing after the run .

1968 Camaro NHRA/IHRA SS/C 'Super Stocker' 396/Jerico
1968 Street/Strip Camaro 350 w/PG
1968 Caprice NHRA/IHRA Stock ELiminator O/SA 327-250 HP

Land of the Free Because of the Brave

It Takes a Long Time to Grow Old Friends
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode