space saver tire - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 09, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Keith

space saver tire

Hi guys, I don't no how to post a craigslist listing but there is a space saver tire for a 69 SS camaro on charlotte NC craigslist. Not sure if it is still available or correct tire for 69 Camaro but thought someone might be looking for one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 09, 05:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: space saver tire

Here is the link - http://charlotte.craigslist.org/pts/978140250.html
It is a later production rim and an "EL" code is not from a 69 ...

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 09, 07:58 PM
Senior Tech
Dennis

Re: space saver tire

Where do you find info on space savers?

Never under estimate the extended reach of a woman with a rolling pin !

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 09, 08:48 PM
Senior Tech

Dennis, have you tried the CRG site? I seem to remember a discussion over there at one time on this topic. If you can snag one, they sure are nice for the xtra room in the trunk.

cat

Bumper sticker- I'm not SPEEDING
I'm QUALIFYING!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 09, 08:53 PM
Senior Tech
Dennis

I did look there it shows how many where made but nothing on stampings or maybe I missed something?
It seem like since there where so few built the info is scarce.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 09, 09:19 PM
Senior Tech

Info on this is scarce. Just did a quick search, and there is a fair bit of info... esp on the 2nd page of our own archives. Looks like there were some who tried to get to the bottom of this, and you might want to look back and contact them to see if they ever came up with something definitive.

capt

I'm QUALIFYING!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 09, 10:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: space saver tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 L 89 RAG View Post
Where do you find info on space savers?

Not really to much out there or to 'know' for that matter.
The rim usage is the same for the other types used on a particular vehicle if the RPO was available on that model.
S0 - if the car application called for an "XA" rim, then the Space-saver rim was an XA and the Goodyear sourced collapsible tire was mounted to it and placed in trunk.
If the Space-saver tire was used-up or damaged in future years while being used, the owner could have a standard design tire remounted on the rim for use as a spare and it would/could match the other tires installed on the vehicle. All sorta makes sense if you think about it ...

The dating on the rim should match up closely to the others originally installed on the car as far as dates.
The tires were date-coded also and would be in-line with the common dating of factory installed options, with a few maybe falling 'outside' - towards the earlier side of normal, as is common for some lower ordered options.

Hopefully Kurt or one of the other CRG guys will see this and correct me on anthing I missed or add to the info. Maybe even provide a direct link to some of the CRG info ...

John

1968 Convertible
Some trucks

Other V8 things - some of which float

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 09, 12:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

The use of a 'space saver' spare makes a lot of sense for a car being *used* for the extra room made available in the trunk, but for a 'date matching' (down to the tires) show car.. I doubt very much that 'extra trunk space' is a big deal..

Gary
69Z28-RS
Corvettes (5), Nomads (2), El Camino, etc
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 09, 09:27 PM
Senior Tech

For the show car, you're right, but for a reg car #'s matching with a woofer in the back, wanting to pack a lunch cooler, folding chairs, some cleaning effects, small tool box and a small suitcase for away meets...the extra room is just enough to bring all that about. I just hate to pack things in the back seat. I couldn't do it without the space saver. But each to his/her own.

capt

I'm QUALIFYING!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 09, 10:05 PM
Senior Tech
Dennis

Hey Capt I looked through the old treads in the archives the threads seam to repeat this tread questions with no definitive answers there are plenty of assumptions which some make sense, some don't.
I have two space savers that I removed from very original cars both where 68's both were from Firebirds. Neither of which have any 2 letter codes. Both are gray in color one Has never hit the road the other maybe once. I thought maybe Firebird & Camaro could be the same but I don't know for sure. I was thinking if you have a real deal for sure space saver in your car, or anyone else who does would post some pictures of the markings, who knows maybe we could figure something out? I will take some pictures of the ones I have and post them soon.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 09, 07:56 AM
Senior Tech

Ya Den, I found the same thing with the posts re. the space saver. Guess that's yet another topic for the gurus to attack on CRG. There might be a few who have delved into the Camaro for some time like Dalglish (sp?), Bob Harris from Camaro Specialties (NY), David from David T's (Edmonton, AB), and some of the guys at D&R (IL) who deal with parts on a day to day basis who might have some answers.

capt

I'm QUALIFYING!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 09, 06:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 L 89 RAG View Post
Hey Capt I looked through the old treads in the archives the threads seam to repeat this tread questions with no definitive answers there are plenty of assumptions which some make sense, some don't.
I have two space savers that I removed from very original cars both where 68's both were from Firebirds. Neither of which have any 2 letter codes. Both are gray in color one Has never hit the road the other maybe once. I thought maybe Firebird & Camaro could be the same but I don't know for sure. I was thinking if you have a real deal for sure space saver in your car, or anyone else who does would post some pictures of the markings, who knows maybe we could figure something out? I will take some pictures of the ones I have and post them soon.
So... did you find some pics. I seem to remember pulling a space saver out of an old Camaro (perhaps just another GM car) at the junk yard in early seventies. I know I still have the tire, but not sure about the rim. I am sure it was as you describe, gray.

Lynn
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 09, 07:44 PM
Senior Tech
Dennis

I did take the pictures but got side tracked on downloading them but here's what I have, Anyone else have any for sure originals?

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 09, 02:11 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Could you send me one of those so I can inspect it more thoroughly?

Kevin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode