17 x 10 inch rims to fit in rear? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 09, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Ben

17 x 10 inch rims to fit in rear?

I would like to put 17x10 inch budnik ice wheels in the rear and was curious if they fit and what back spacing to go with? I'm running a full hotchkis suspension (front and rear) which lowers the car 1 to 2 inches, disc brakes in rear and a 8.5 10 bolt out of a 72 nova....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 09, 05:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Re: 17 x 10 inch rims to fit in rear?

Make sure you get measurements from someone with disk brakes, like you have because it makes a diference... I have 12 bolt with drum brakes and rims are 18X9.5 with 5.5 back space.. It rubs slightly in the inner wheel well. But with disk it would help me bump it out to wards the quarter lip a 1/4 inch. Tires are 285/40/18 next set will be 275/40/18 to help it from the little rub.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 09, 05:48 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

You might get it to work but why not go 17x9.5, you won't get a wider tire on the 10" wheel than you can put on the 9.5".

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 09, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Ben

the reason is budnik wheels only makes the flat edge rim in a 10 wide as opposed to the 9.5 inch wide which has a S-shaped edge if that makes any sense... also the flat edge rim gives the wheel a deeper look which is what i'm going for!!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 09, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Ben

here is a picture of a flat edge rim compared to an S-shaped edge rim
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 09, 08:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

I have the same suspension on my 68. Newstalgia recommended 17X8 with 5" BS in the rear and they fit perfect. This is a car for handling and ride and I didn't want any chance of rubbing and it doesn't. The foose legend wheel is smooth and looks great on the car.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 09, 05:15 AM
Senior Tech

In most cases 10s need HELP to fit. The backspace will be critical. Is that rear the same width as the stock rear? A 1/4" of not enough backspace is the tire getting cut up by the outter fender. A 1/4" of too much backspace is a small spacer. It's always better to error on too much backspace than not enough. It's a lot easier to adjust with a small spacer than re-hoop the wheels not to mention the expense.

Jack
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 09, 07:35 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

The Nova rear is the same dimensions as the Camaro. The best bet to fit a 10" wide wheel is split the the extra .5" over a 9.5" 50/50 on each side of the wheel.

The most common 9.5" wheel back spacing on a '69 is 5.5". With disc brakes and 275/40/17 tire it requires trimming the fender lip, I even had to take some material off the lip with 255/45/17's. With drum brakes the 275's and 255's will scrub on the inner fender a little. So if you use 17x10" w/5.75" back spacing you'll still have the same issues with the tires and now your wheels are a .25" closer to the action on each side.

Every car is slightly different and you'll hear a lot of testimony saying they have no problems. Ask them how they use their car, how many passangers they have loaded in it and what they did to to the suspension.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 09, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Ben

Thanks for all the input Guys, much appreciated!! Budnik wheels gave me another option on 17 x 9.5 inch wheels with the flat edge rim. They told me that they would custom cut 2 flat rim edges and reweld and true the wheels for the rear 17 x 9.5 for a small fee of $200 a rim, $400 total for the rear rims!! which would give me that comfort zone.... might be worth the piece of mind!! Also another option is to go 18 inch all around (for about the same price as the reworked 17 x 9.5) which would solve the problem entirely... but i feel that 18 inch in most cases give the car that wagon wheel effect!! somtimes it just does'nt look right on these old cars... but I have seen some I like!! I'd like to hear some opinions if you have them.. thanks a bunch everyone!!!!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 09, 12:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Ben here are my 18" Billet Ralleys.

Fronts 18x7 with 4" back space, Hotchkis 2" lowering springs with stock disk brakes, G-Force tires 245/40/18 (no rubbing).

Rears 18x9.5 with 5.5 back space, Hotchkis 1.5 lowering leafs wth stock 12 Bolt and drum brakes, G-Force tires 285/40/18 (it rubs on the inner wheel well when going up angled drive ways, no rubbing on outer quarter lip but it has been trimmed just 1/16)..

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 09, 06:27 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT69 View Post
Thanks for all the input Guys, much appreciated!! Budnik wheels gave me another option on 17 x 9.5 inch wheels with the flat edge rim. They told me that they would custom cut 2 flat rim edges and reweld and true the wheels for the rear 17 x 9.5 for a small fee of $200 a rim, $400 total for the rear rims!! which would give me that comfort zone.... might be worth the piece of mind!! Also another option is to go 18 inch all around (for about the same price as the reworked 17 x 9.5) which would solve the problem entirely... but i feel that 18 inch in most cases give the car that wagon wheel effect!! somtimes it just does'nt look right on these old cars... but I have seen some I like!! I'd like to hear some opinions if you have them.. thanks a bunch everyone!!!!
The 18s on these cars are fine. They only look like wagon wheels if you think they do. Lots of people running them. Check out www.lateral-g.net and www.pro-touring.com and you'll see plenty. If you go with 18x8s in the front and 18x9s in the rear you can run 40 series tires (which will minimize the wagon wheel look) and you will sleep at night.

Jack
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 09, 08:32 AM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

You guys are prolly sick of seeing my car,lol...but here it is with 18x8 fronts (4.875" b/s) with 245/40's and 18x10 rears (5.625" b/s) with 275/40's.My car is a freak in terms of fitment but is living proof a 10" wide rear will fit...with some work:

A safer bet as has been mentioned would be a 9.5" rear which should fit w/o issues as long as you nail the b/s and right tire.

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 09, 03:08 PM
Senior Tech
Gav

John , i love your car mate , as good as any of these 'star' cars . Im curious about these rear fitments. Is your diff standard width? rear discs etc? What rear massaging was performed? Ive been chasing the rim specs on the 'barry white silver' camaro with no response from his shop. Im sure his rears are easy tens and what tyre im not sure. Im in Australia and am coming to U.S in march for some 'shopping'. hoping to buy some new rims and suspension gear for my 69.

Regards
Gav -Downunder

RHD 69' 8 STACK INJECTED 383,FAST ECU, TREMECT56 6 SPEED, ATS ,SPEEDTECH, QA1s, HOTCHKIS, RUSHFORTHS , MOSER POSI 3.7, MAGNAFLOWS, ETC ETC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode