Time for some new shoes - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 09, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Time for some new shoes

Just sold my old 15 inch rally wheels and tires, its time for a new set. Ide like to get a set of 17's 17x8 up front and 17x9.5 out back. I was thinking about the cragar s/s wheel but im open minded to anything really, chrome or painted. Ide like to get some ideas of whats out there that looks good at an afordable price. I'm really not looking to break the bank, something like HRE wheels are out of the qustion. If you guys any pictures or horror storys to share please do by all means. Ive got the hothkis set up on the car so it sits lower then stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 09, 05:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468
Re: Time for some new shoes

If you are trying to stay low in cost I would have stayed with the Rally's.I like Skips aluminum Rally's that is skeeter55 check them out.I am just old school this is JMO....

PRO.ST69orange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 09, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

yeah I did love the rallys but Im doing a big brake kit, gotta run 17's for it. I myself would like to stay with the old school theme. Im not really big into the whole pro touring thing and would like the " modern modifications " to be there but just under the radar.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 09, 05:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

I like Skips wheels,look at this link and PM him for a price.
https://www.camaros.net/forums/album.php?u=36304

PRO.ST69orange

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 09, 06:51 PM
Senior Tech

American Racing has had issues of late but when you say budget and old school in the same breath I think American 200Ss (Daiseys) or Salt Flats. Please polished TTIIs are beaten to death (but there is a reason - not trying to offend anyone) unless you want to do with the CLs (grey spokes). If you want to spend a little more money Vintage Wheel Works and Team III both have some nice old school wheels. Check them out.

Jack
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 09, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

dude I could not agree with you more TTs's are... let me nice about this and just say if I see one more set of them rolling down my street....I'm going to have a serious anger episode. I do really like Skips wheels they are defiantly unique however I'de like something a bit more open. Im spending all this money on a set of willwoods I would like to see them you know what I mean. The vintage wheel V40's are nice, ebay had a rim and tire package going on them for 1500 bucks not bad but now I cant find it anymore. I guess that's Murphy law for yha.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 09, 02:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Save your money and forget the 17's...17" wheels and tires generally cost alot more money than 16's, 18"'s are even more $$$....People want to complain about the Torq Thrust II's??? I mean no disrespect when I say this but everyone having an erection over 17's or 18's on a first gen and then leaving the old grandma 40+ year old steering gear box in there makes me want to hurl!!

You want it to handle better? Put one of these in there from Detroit Speed http://www.detroitspeed.com/productp..._gear_prod.htm

Then mount some P245/50/ZR16's on it.....FWIW, I have that gear box in my car in the ceramic version....I'm debating the tires now because the car has other issues at this point, so I'm rolling w/ P235/60R15's all the way around on Chrome Rally's.

You will have spent less money putting that set up on your car along with that Detroit Speed third gen steering box than P245/45/ZR17's tire & wheel combo's...That 16" size is what the 5.7L IROC-Z's rolled with and both my third gens would eat either of my first gen's for lunch in a road race with lots of twistys back in the day or even today. Forget the $2,500 + tax 17" tire & wheel packages. I've even heard some guys say they spent $4,500 on 18's....Put a 3rd gen steering box in there with some P245/50ZR16's......That's less money overall for the 16" tires & wheels w/ the 3rd gen steering gear box, and you'll out handle the guy with 18's who spent enough money to feed an entire neighborhoood and wants to be cool, yet still runs the 40 year old gear box.

FWIW, The Tire rack has Z rated BFG's P245/50/ZR16's at $93 per tire brand new right now! The least expensive BFG in a P245/45/ZR17 size is $128 per tire.....I've seen P245/50R16's go for $100 for all 4 tires w/ 9/32" of tread on them that are three years old on craigs list in my area.

FWIW I like the 16" Torq Thrust D in this color..They are $230 per wheel and not $400 like some 17's I see.... (It's not made in a 17" size) http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...All&sort=Brand

Too many guys in my area spend Waaaay too much money on 17" tires & wheels and even more on 18'" combo's and neglect the steering gear box.....The big brake kit will still work with a set of 16" tires & wheels. It did with the 1LE IROC-Z's & 16's. It will with a first gen & 16's.....

I have nothing against 17's...It's just that prices are rediculous on 17" combos and even more outrageous on 18" set ups....The P245/50ZR16's with a 3rd gen steering box will outhandle 17's & 18's and the 40 year old gear box. Now if you can afford the 17's or 18's, the 3rd gen box, tubular upper & lower control arm's, hey more power to ya!..Just trying to save ya a few bucks and I mean no disrespect.

1) 1969 Camaro RS 396 TH 400, 12 bolt 3:73 sold 1994

2) 1984 Z28, 5.0 H.O. T-Tops, G92 3:73, sold 1994
3) 1988 5.7L IROC-Z, sold 1994
4) 1969 Camaro bought 2006, back on the road in 2010

Last edited by South Side Goons & Hitmen; Jan 26th, 09 at 02:54 AM.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 09, 05:12 AM
Senior Tech
Bryan

Moltar,

Use ebay #170122309519 for the Foose 17" Legends and Nitto 555's or visit his website at www.driverzinc.com and contact Jon directly.

When I'm ready - that's what I'm going with.

Bryan
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 09, 08:38 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

I've had 15", 16", and 17" on the car. If you want to push the car in the corners then the 17's are your best bet. 16" have more sidewall to allow for a bit more forgiveness, but their limited sizes and compounds leave much to be desired. If cornering power is what you want then getting the widest 17" tire up front is going to net the best results. I run a 275/40/17 on all four corners with a 17 x 9.5 rim, which requires some minor modifications, all easily reversible and non-cosmetic, but the cornering power is significantly better than 16". 17" tire availability is much better than 16".

17" are also a good balance between a short and tall sidewall. Short sidewalls, such as those found on many 19-20" setups, do not lend themselves well to our cars. Modern suspsension designs do, but for most of us some forgiveness is needed, and very short sidewalls don't provide that. They tend to give very little notice of traction loss (squeeling) before breaking away.

So, if you are not out hammering the turns 16's are a nice choice and can be had relatively cheap if you search out some 3rd gen options and shoot for a maximum 255 section width. If cornering power is what you are after a good 17-18 will work very well.

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 09, 09:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

You can get a 17" wheel/tire setup for $1600 in Vintage Wheel Works. Look at Carl's site for a pic.

Driverzinc on ebay. He's also a site sponsor on pro-touring.com

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vinta...Q5fAccessories

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 09, 09:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Rick, thanks for the link! Great to see the prices have come down on 17" tire & wheel combo's! I'd pay $1,500 all day long for that tire & wheel combo in the link you posted---- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vinta...Q5fAccessories

And that silver/magnesium color will look great on my car; since my car is black w/ white racing stripes. Kudos to ya for that link man! I guess that's what I get for being out of the auto service industry for almost 11 years. $1,500 in 2009 for a beautiful set of 17" tire/wheel combo--now you're talkin!!

Now if I could only trade my May 1968 dated original Camaro 12 bolt w/ c-clip eliminators for that 17" tire/wheel combo I would do it in a heartbeat! Thanks!!

SSG&H

P.S. Carl----Do you have a link to the tire & wheel combo for the P275/40ZR17??? For the most part I like running the same size on all 4 corners. I know Corvette's ran that size (P275/40/ZR17) back in the day and so did the 1991 & 1992 Pontiac SLP 350 Firebird Firehawk.

Thanks guys!

1) 1969 Camaro RS 396 TH 400, 12 bolt 3:73 sold 1994

2) 1984 Z28, 5.0 H.O. T-Tops, G92 3:73, sold 1994
3) 1988 5.7L IROC-Z, sold 1994
4) 1969 Camaro bought 2006, back on the road in 2010
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 09, 10:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Carl's site has alot of great stuff including his VWW 17" wheel setup.

I had VWW 16's on my 69. My goal is to get them in 17's for the 68.

Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv therapy program, Autogear M22, 8-pt cage, with a new 410! SOLD
New therapy program - 68 Coupe. Will be survivor exterior, modern underpinnings! SOLD
67 Belair with perfect floors, pinchwelds and firewall. Hmmm!
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 09, 11:41 AM
Senior Tech
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Street69Camaro468 View Post
I like Skips wheels,look at this link and PM him for a price.
https://www.camaros.net/forums/album.php?u=36304

I don't think those 18 inch rally wheels are cheap. In fact I'd bet they are pretty expensive

John

69 Coupe: Forged Hydraulic Roller 383, Holley HP 750 DP, AFR195s, RPM Air Gap, Borg Warner T-56, Hooker Super Comp 1.75", Ford 9" with custom Moser axels, 3.89 Posi, MSD digital 6, Hotchkis springs, 4WDB, [email protected] on bald Nitto 555's
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 09, 12:01 PM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD View Post
You can get a 17" wheel/tire setup for $1600 in Vintage Wheel Works. Look at Carl's site for a pic.

Driverzinc on ebay. He's also a site sponsor on pro-touring.com

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vinta...Q5fAccessories
Another big vote for Jon Henson @ www.driverzinc.com you CANNOT beat his net specials...LOL on the car he used for display in that ad.

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 09, 12:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

old school look 17 inch cragars!!! now thats cool........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode