dangerous vintage rims?? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 09, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

dangerous vintage rims??

I just purchased a set of original vintage keystone raiders wheels for my second gen. I was told to order a set of inserts to make them fit my application because the rims have oval holes in them. I took them to discount tire and they wouldnt even touch them and they said it would be a liability if they even put tires on them for me. is there something wrong with universal 5 lugs? and anyone know if it is still possible to get the little offset washers or inserts that make em work??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 09, 02:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Re: dangerous vintage rims??

You should be able to get the right lugs for the oval holes... If this is what you are referring to, just call the rim manufacture.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 09, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

I believe there was some kind of insert that would go into the rim to make it fit a chevy or a ford. I was told that keystone was out of business

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 09, 03:35 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Found these on ebay... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...1%7C240%3A1318

Contact the seller for your exact application...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 09, 03:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Send a message via Yahoo to Camaro67_rcl

I had kestone klassic back in the 70's & have them on my 67 now. You need the oval washer with the hole centered. I also got a set of stainless washer as they had both back in the 70's

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BULLE...spagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BULLE...spagenameZWDVW

Rick
67 RS/SS 355, Autogear M21 (w/Overdrive), 8.5w/3.42

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 09, 04:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
Found these on ebay... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...1%7C240%3A1318

Contact the seller for your exact application...
Nice fine Dennis .

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 09, 05:50 PM
Senior Tech

call jegs they have tech support and have in stock exactly what you need for the conversion, also @#$ discount tires, goto sams club or walmart, for mounting/balancing, those rims do look awesone, worth all the hastle.

it about helping others
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 09, 09:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

A buddy of mine had Keystone's on his 1968 Firebird which had a bad @$$ 454 BBC way back in the day (early 1990's) He would shear the studs right off on those wheels. Of course he was running skinny front tires and N-50X15's in the back....Great smoke shows w/ those tires! Wheels were worthless imho and dangerous too!

I agree call Jegs or Summit. They may be able to steer you in the right direction.

1) 1969 Camaro RS 396 TH 400, 12 bolt 3:73 sold 1994

2) 1984 Z28, 5.0 H.O. T-Tops, G92 3:73, sold 1994
3) 1988 5.7L IROC-Z, sold 1994
4) 1969 Camaro bought 2006, back on the road in 2010
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 09, 06:34 AM

Imho, there is NOTHING wrong w/ uni-lug designs, but I would re-torque them over a week DD her until they took a set like my headers do!

And back then, I've seen steel rims w/ 15 holes in them!! 4.5"/4.75"/5.0" stud patterns!

pdq67

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 09, 06:40 AM
Senior Tech
gary

ET unilug, use the correct washers and the lug nuts with a shank and retorque once in a while, should be NO problem. I used them back "in the day" and never had a problem. Sheeze, today's lawyers have everyone so damn paraniod !!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 09, 10:49 AM
Senior Tech
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroboy1077 View Post
I took them to discount tire and they wouldnt even touch them
I don't know if Discount Tire has a written policy about rims, but they do have one for tires. I think if the tire is older than 6 years, they won't repair it.

Rims do weaken with stress (high mileage), so it's not unreasonable for them to not want to service them.

Maybe they have a strict liability insurance policy, maybe they just want to sell new tires and rims, or maybe both.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 09, 12:40 PM

dangerous my butt. Buy a set of new Crager SS rims in 14 or 15 inch and they are unilug. I got a set from summit for my 68 Vert and for what reason I don't know why crager never used the insert wish they had.As far as mounting tires the local Goodyear shop didn't seem to mind.
make sure they're centered they won't do it on their own because your not using a conical lugnut you have to center the wheels on the car This is how a friend of mine and I did it in 1978 to my 69 Camaro and the way I do it on my 68 Convertible:

Just take a Coke bottle fill it with water to make it heavy. take a good ol tie rap used to fasten wiring put it around the top of the neck of the bottle with the part you usally cut off sticking out place it so it just touches the tire ,spin the tire if it touches all the way around your centered if not work with it till it does. If you do alot of driving check them once a week
Hope this Helps
David 68 SS TKO600, 350 HO,15" Crager SS mags
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 09, 07:53 AM

The keystone Classic which was a nice 60's&70's mag wheel uses the insert is carried by Summit They were bought by crager some time ago.I would say the wheels used the same insert sorry i didn't remember it till today or I'd have told you in the last post
Hope this helps David
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 09, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response guys I will go ahead and use them because they look so good on a camaro glad to hear I didnt waste my money thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode