Goodyear E70/15 Speedway VS Goodyear F70/15 Polyglas - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 09, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Goodyear E70/15 Speedway VS Goodyear F70/15 Polyglas

I'm considering a set of four new tires for my 1969 Z/28. The car has the stock 15x7 rally wheels and it only travels a few hundred miles each year. I'm drawn towards the reproduction Goodyear E70/15 Speedway Wide Tread tires and the reproduction Goodyear F70/15 Polyglas tires that are available from Kelsey Tire.

I'm well aware that both those options will make the car's ride quality and handling worse than the modern radials I've used in the past. My question is . . . Do the Polyglas tires hold any noticeable advantage over the Speedway Wide Tread tires as far as ride quality and/or handling?

I'm not planning to drive the car aggressively, just wondering how much difference there might be between those two tires under normal driving conditions. Thanks.
-Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 09, 03:03 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Goodyear E70/15 Speedway VS Goodyear F70/15 Polyglas

I bet not many ( as helpfull as all are here) have had both. Alot seam to have one set of tires for shows and radials for driving around. Thats what I would like to do aswell. I bet there is not a big enough difference to sway your thoughts go with what you feel looks best.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 09, 03:57 AM
Senior Tech
Garry

I run the F70's on mine. I have no complaints. F70's are cheaper!

'69 Z/28 Garnet Red
'66 Chevy II Nova SS L79 (project)
'68 Z/28 Matador red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 09, 03:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Cool for a show driver!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 09, 06:21 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

L50s on the back with a set of Gabriel High Jackers pumped up to 120lbs.. Wait.. never mind, I was having a flashback. Carry on
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 09, 01:10 PM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
I'm considering a set of four new tires for my 1969 Z/28. The car has the stock 15x7 rally wheels and it only travels a few hundred miles each year. I'm drawn towards the reproduction Goodyear E70/15 Speedway Wide Tread tires and the reproduction Goodyear F70/15 Polyglas tires that are available from Kelsey Tire.

I'm well aware that both those options will make the car's ride quality and handling worse than the modern radials I've used in the past. My question is . . . Do the Polyglas tires hold any noticeable advantage over the Speedway Wide Tread tires as far as ride quality and/or handling?

I'm not planning to drive the car aggressively, just wondering how much difference there might be between those two tires under normal driving conditions. Thanks.
-Jeff
If you're trying to be correct,Polyglas tires never came standard on a 1969 Z/28,the Speedway Wide Tread tires is the correct application for that car.

I have a set of F-70 Polyglas tires I run on my stock wheels for my '70 Z/28 and they are a pretty cushy riding tire but they do like to find grooves in the road and wander but all things considered,they do offer the period-look...

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 09, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Thanks for posting those photos, John. I know that the Speedway Wide Tread tires are technically correct for a 1969 Z/28 (along with the Firestone Sport Car 200), but to my eyes, the Polyglas tires are close enough.

The photos of your '70 have got me wondering if I could shoehorn a set of F60-15 Polyglas tires underneath my '69. I'm currently running P245-60x15 radials at all four corners, and there's no rub because the coil springs and the leaf springs are fairly new. (Car sits pretty high.) However, it seems like the square edges on the F60-15 Polyglas tires might rub on the front wheelwells and/or the subframe.

The best choice for me is probably the F70-15 Polyglas tires, but I'd be curious to hear results if anybody has stuffed the F60-15 Polyglas tires onto 15x7 rally wheels on a '69.

Thanks for all the good advice. And John, that is one beautiful Camaro you've got.
-Jeff

Last edited by JeffD; Feb 12th, 09 at 02:12 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 09, 10:50 AM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Thanks for posting those photos, John. I know that the Speedway Wide Tread tires are technically correct for a 1969 Z/28 (along with the Firestone Sport Car 200), but to my eyes, the Polyglas tires are close enough.

The photos of your '70 have got me wondering if I could shoehorn a set of F60-15 Polyglas tires underneath my '69. I'm currently running P245-60x15 radials at all four corners, and there's no rub because the coil springs and the leaf springs are fairly new. (Car sits pretty high.) However, it seems like the square edges on the F60-15 Polyglas tires might rub on the front wheelwells and/or the subframe.

The best choice for me is probably the F70-15 Polyglas tires, but I'd be curious to hear results if anybody has stuffed the F60-15 Polyglas tires onto 15x7 rally wheels on a '69.

Thanks for all the good advice. And John, that is one beautiful Camaro you've got.
-Jeff
Jeff,
They are pretty square but then again,they're also tall so I'm not certain if they would work inside a '69 fenderwell...I could measure them for you if that helps,they are currently off the car.

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 09, 01:18 PM

"L50s on the back with a set of Gabriel High Jackers pumped up to 120lbs.. Wait.. never mind, I was having a flashback. Carry on "

RIGHT!!

Cheap, off brand E-60 and L-60/14's rule!!

He, He!!

Mine's up on the shelf out in the garage, still mounted on my Fenton slotted 7" and 9" wide mags!

pdq67

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 09, 02:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Why would you go to those 'old school' tires, and pay *repro* prices, and NOT use the correct ones?????? If you are going to do that, then put on the Speedways...... and get a second set with decent Radial T/A's for driving (which also look fantastic on the classic cars)....

Gary
69Z28-RS
Corvettes (5), Nomads (2), El Camino, etc
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 09, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Thanks for the offer to measure your tires, John, but I've already got all the dimensions from the Kelsey Tire website.

I'll go with the Polyglas F70-15 tires just to be safe. I really don't want to get into a situation where rubbing starts to happen.

My car looks largely original on the outside, but it has headers, Flowmaster exhaust, modern battery, Pertronix module, no smog pump, non-original carburetor, etc. If I ever take the time to correct all those details in the future, then I'll need a set of Speedways. In the meanwhile, the Polyglas tires give off the same vintage vibe that I want and they're a little cheaper, so I'll go that route.

Thanks for all the excellent input.
-Jeff
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 09, 09:07 AM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Thanks for the offer to measure your tires, John, but I've already got all the dimensions from the Kelsey Tire website.

I'll go with the Polyglas F70-15 tires just to be safe. I really don't want to get into a situation where rubbing starts to happen.

My car looks largely original on the outside, but it has headers, Flowmaster exhaust, modern battery, Pertronix module, no smog pump, non-original carburetor, etc. If I ever take the time to correct all those details in the future, then I'll need a set of Speedways. In the meanwhile, the Polyglas tires give off the same vintage vibe that I want and they're a little cheaper, so I'll go that route.

Thanks for all the excellent input.
-Jeff
Makes perfect sense to me Jeff...

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 09, 02:08 PM
Senior Tech
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Z28-RS View Post
Why would you go to those 'old school' tires, and pay *repro* prices, and NOT use the correct ones?????? If you are going to do that, then put on the Speedways...... and get a second set with decent Radial T/A's for driving (which also look fantastic on the classic cars)....
X2 on that

69 R/S Z/28 302 X33 D80 late 09C
69 T/A clonification LS6-6speed under construction
15 ZL1
64 Chevelle wagon 6.0l planned sons toy
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 09, 02:24 PM
Senior Tech
Garry

'69 Z/28 Garnet Red
'66 Chevy II Nova SS L79 (project)
'68 Z/28 Matador red

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 09, 03:52 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecarjohn View Post
Makes perfect sense to me Jeff...
X2.
I have had both, and the F70 polyglass are way more forgiving as to darting and following the ruts in the road, I would never personaly drive on the Wide Tread E70 Repo,s Again. JMO .
The F70,s are $280 cheaper ( for 4 ) as well off the Kelsey Website.

2002 Jerry Bickle Cavalier, 446" Small Block, Brodix Canted Valve, lenco 5 speed, 7.54 @ 180. mph,1.06 60', 2235 lbs for 2014. GM Canada Docs, Highly Optioned 69 RSZ28 , Hugger Orange, White Stripes, 42,000 mile survivor, owned since 1973.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode