Rear "Fender" Rolling on 67 Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 09, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Question Rear "Fender" Rolling on 67 Camaro

Hey guys, I have searched the forum before posting this, but I am looking for a direct answer to some questions.

has anyone used a Eastwood fender roller tool, to roll the Rear Wheel wells, on a 67 Camaro?

if anyone out there has used one, or one like it.. how well did it work? how flat were you able to get the lip? any tips?

I worry because I see most people using them on import, or newer thinner sheet metal cars.

-John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 09, 03:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Re: Rear "Fender" Rolling on 67 Camaro

This was here last nite wilh a 69, I have never seen the Eastwood tool have used an
old baseball bat rocking car back and forth, on flat fendered cars, Ie 69 Camaros and old
Novas, a 2X4 and a house jack worked great. Passed NHRA for stock class cars.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 09, 04:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Here is some info and pics,,,,,

http://www.rollyourfender.com/

http://www.rollyourfender.com/gallery.html

Kev

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 09, 05:09 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

I bought the Eastwood Fender roller for use on my 69 Camaro. It takes a bit of time on your first fender to get the hang/trick of it. Once you figure it out, it actually goes pretty fast. Definitely a good tool, makes nice and even roll, seems like a lot of people resell them as well, you might be able to pickup a used one.

Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 09, 03:43 AM
Tech Team
Paul Church

Is there any benefit to rolling the fender lips rather than just cutting/trimming them back? Seems like rolling them might put a lot of stress on the fender and it might crack the paint or any filler that might be at that edge. Either way, it's pretty much non-reversible, so it's not a question of retaining $ value right?

I think I can get more tire clearance by cutting almost all of the lip edge off, just at the top where it's not very noticeable. Are there any photo's of cut off fender lips rather than rolled?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 09, 04:17 AM
Senior Tech
Larry

the inner and outer fenfers are spot welded together in that lip. remove the lip and you have essentially separated the two, and the resulting problems should be obvious.

Sometimes it's better to let someone think your an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 09, 04:11 PM
Tech Team
Paul Church

^ Understood, thanks for the info.

I was only planning on cutting the very upper part that contacts my tires on large bumps in the road (maybe 1/4 or 1/3rd at most of the total area spot welded) so if I put some sealer in that area I don't think I should have any problems with seperation.

My chrome trim rings will also be cut there. I'm not sure how the guys who roll their fender lips keep the rings? Do they roll the chrome also? Seems like the chrome rings would bend and get a distorted fit too easily.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 09, 07:56 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

I rolled the chrome lips with them on, protected the paint a bit more. My chrome in that area was kind of worn and scratched up. They do deform a bit, but I bent them to conform with the rolled lip.

Ed

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 09, 12:01 PM
Senior Tech
sako

hey Poul,
I had the same problem with my 69.Iam running 15x8.5.They were rubbing alot.i cut the fender about .25 and that fixed it. i would not risk rolling it cuz if you have filler or bondo that will f thing up.

1969 SS camaro,emerald green with white hockey stripe.383 stroker with weiand supercharger.12 bolt 373 gears. 4 speed.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 12, 08:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Randy

old thread but I am in this position now, wide tires, slight rubbing on the fender lips when under compression. I think if I lost .25 of an inch it'd be fine.

Anybody think that is a bad idea?
would it be better to roll them?

Thanks

Randy
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 12, 08:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Randy,

Cutting can lead to many problems. As stated if you roll them its best because the fact that the inner and outer wheel house are attached. It will prevent water,sand and whatever getting behind the panels, keep the wheel area strong also.

Kev
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 12, 06:32 PM
Senior Tech
Al

I cut mine and the 1/4 panel hasn't fallen off yet. I also needed about 1/4", and had more than enough sticking out past the spotwelds and they weren't disturbed. I used a reciprocating air body saw and left the chrome trim in place and cut it at the same time. If you do happen to cut into a spotweld there are about 6,000 others still holding that QP in place.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 12, 03:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
I cut mine and the 1/4 panel hasn't fallen off yet. I also needed about 1/4", and had more than enough sticking out past the spotwelds and they weren't disturbed.
Nobody said the "Quarters would Fall Off" and he needs atleast a 1/2 " cut off but to me that is a minimum based upon his tire post. Rolling leaves the quarter and wheelhouse full strength and no sharp edges to cut tire on a rub. I don't think anyone whats to spend $600 on two rear tires only to cut the edges up. ....but to each his own.

Kev
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 12, 08:49 PM
Tech Team
Lyndon

I trimmed the lips on my 69. I removed a full 1/2 inch without disturbing any spotwelds. I remember reading somewhere that Foose says they always recommend cutting vs. rolling to avoid distorting the quarter panel.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 12, 11:25 PM
Senior Tech
Pete

I cut mine then rolled it in the rear. It chipped the paint. BUT it does not rub at all anymore and Im running 275's with 3" lowering springs.

Pete
1968 Camaro
2009 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode