17x8.5 On Front of 67 - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 09, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

17x8.5 On Front of 67

Hey, I just found out the wheels I want to order only come in 17 x 8.5 's..

this kind of sucks becuase I wanted to run 8's in the front and 9.5's in the back...

I still want the wheels, but I am worried about the front.. do you guys think they will fit without rubbing, and what BS should I run?
I have Eibach 2" drop springs. even though it doesn't really look that dropped. maybe its because they sit so tall when they are stock.

-John

Here is a pic

Last edited by 67electro; Feb 26th, 09 at 03:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 09, 03:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage
Re: 17x8.5 On Front of 67

What rim, backspacing / tire size are you running now?

Vince
69 Base Coupe "The Wrecker" Project -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 rs/SS L48 4spd Convertible -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- SOLD
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 09, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I dont know, I need to look it up, they are crappy discount tire wheels. and the rear backspacing is WRONG. I get horrible wheel rub on the rear lips, with 255 tires.

they are 15's though if that helps.

17x8.5s with 245/45's will be a different animal (for front).
I am planing on 4.75BS on the front..

for the rear it looks like those same wheels, but 5.5BS with 255 or 265/40s.

I'm not sure 265's will fit on 8.5"W wheels.

-John

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 09, 07:06 PM
Senior Tech
Darko

i am also interested to know the answer. I'm looking at a set of newer corvette wheels and the fronts are 17x8.5. I plan on using adapters to make the backspacing good, but I was wondering if the fronts would fit at all

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 09, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

yeah, I am looking at vette wheels too. they only come in 8.5's so I am not wanting to make an expensive mistake.

-John
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 09, 08:23 PM
Senior Tech
Darko

i found this pic on another thread, looks sharp

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 09, 08:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

That's my blue car. 17" x 8.5" factory C5 wheels on the front with 1.875" bolt on adapters, and 18" x 9.5" factory C5 wheels on the rear with 2" bolt on adapters. The rear wheel lips are rolled, but I probably could have fit the wheels without the roll. I get some slight rub on the front when I'm going fast in a turn (with the outside wheel loaded) and then also hit a bump with the outside wheel. The rub is probably caused as much by the caster I run as the wheels.

I've got all weather Michelin Pilot Sport run flats on the wheels in the picture now and another set of the wagon wheel wheels with Nitto 555's for summer use. They are the best cheap wheel solution I've found.

Mike - '68 Camaro - aftermarket or modern pretty much everything.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 09, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I like your car a lot hmm so you're running 18's in the back.. I have the eastwood rolling tool, Im about to roll mine just in case. how hard was it to roll, and how tight were you able to get the lip? do you have, or can you take a photo of your rear lip for me?

where does the rubbing happen in the front?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 09, 09:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67electro View Post
I like your car a lot hmm so you're running 18's in the back.. I have the eastwood rolling tool, Im about to roll mine just in case. how hard was it to roll, and how tight were you able to get the lip? do you have, or can you take a photo of your rear lip for me?

where does the rubbing happen in the front?
I had the rear wheel wells rolled while some other work was being done on the rear. I'll be rolling them on my '67, but haven't done it yet. Check your rear wheel wells carefully with a magnet to make sure you've got good metal (and not bondo) around the wheel well. Metal rolls, bondo cracks. I'll try to get a picture.

The fronts rub on the outer back portion of the inner fender well. I think it's mostly because of the caster I have in my suspension with stock LCAs. The stock LCAs with the caster tend to put the front wheel toward the back of the wheel well and (I think) produce the rub.

Mike - '68 Camaro - aftermarket or modern pretty much everything.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 09, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkelcy View Post
That's my blue car. 17" x 8.5" factory C5 wheels on the front with 1.875" bolt on adapters, and 18" x 9.5" factory C5 wheels on the rear with 2" bolt on adapters. The rear wheel lips are rolled, but I probably could have fit the wheels without the roll. I get some slight rub on the front when I'm going fast in a turn (with the outside wheel loaded) and then also hit a bump with the outside wheel. The rub is probably caused as much by the caster I run as the wheels.

I've got all weather Michelin Pilot Sport run flats on the wheels in the picture now and another set of the wagon wheel wheels with Nitto 555's for summer use. They are the best cheap wheel solution I've found.

Thanks again for the info, I was wondering if you could tell me the size of tires you are running. (Front and Back). most guys run 275/40's in the back and for the 17" in the front they run 245 or 255/40's .. to avoid your tire rub problem, do you think you could run maybe a 35 series tire if you are already not doing that?

I am probably going to try and save some money on the tires, I have found Nexen brand to review pretty high ( the N5000 tire) for the money. they have some 275/35/ZR18's that are priced low. and I will need to decide what I am going to do about the front.

I first wanted to see what you are running, and also what you thought.

Thanks for the heads up on the rolling with bondo, my car has new goodmark quarters so no bondo there
if you could get me a picture or two of your rolled lips that would be very helpfull.

Thanks again!
-John
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 09, 09:00 PM
Senior Tech
Darko

i am not a big fan of 35 series tires, i think they look terrible. I'd go with atleast a 40 and I have 275/45 on my 18's right now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode