17/18 AR Hopsters or 18's - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 09, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

17/18 AR Hopsters or 18's

Hey guys. I have an oportunity to get a couple of 18x10 Hopsters for a stellar price. I wonder if a 17/18 combo like the C5 Vettes would look ok. I like the way 18's all around look aside from the fact that a 245/40/18 looks a little skinny up front and wonder how it would hold up to crappy roads. A 245/45/17 on a 8" wide rim and 275/40/18 on the 10" wide rim would have the same profile. The 18's are from a tire shop that custom ordred them and have been sitting around for a while. I test fit them last Winter with brake dust and all. At the time thay were sporting huge 295/45/18 Goodyear F1 rubber and still fit with loaded suspension although they surely would have rubbed driving around. The price for the wheels has come down considerably from when I tried them, so now I'm interested again. I like the Hopsters they look a little Evil. Curruntly I'm installing new Hotchkiss 1.5" lowering spring and some slide a links. My old leafs were pretty low, but were really tired. The 18x10's only have 5" of backspace and I still need to run a .25" spacer

John

69 Coupe: Forged Hydraulic Roller 383, Holley HP 750 DP, AFR195s, RPM Air Gap, Borg Warner T-56, Hooker Super Comp 1.75", Ford 9" with custom Moser axels, 3.89 Posi, MSD digital 6, Hotchkis springs, 4WDB, [email protected] on bald Nitto 555's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 09, 07:01 PM
Senior Tech

Re: 17/18 AR Hopsters or 18's

I don't think 4.75" of backspace (5" + the .25 spacer) is enough. Most 1st gens need 5.75" of backspace to run a 10" wheel in the rear. I read you had them on there already with 295/45s but didn't they stick out past the lip of the fender?

Jack
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 09, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV69z/28rs View Post
I don't think 4.75" of backspace (5" + the .25 spacer) is enough. Most 1st gens need 5.75" of backspace to run a 10" wheel in the rear. I read you had them on there already with 295/45s but didn't they stick out past the lip of the fender?
No they didnt stick out. Look at the pics. I have a 9" rear with custom moser axels. My rear end is 58" as oposed to 60" in width. 4.75" of backspace would actually be perfect for me.

John

69 Coupe: Forged Hydraulic Roller 383, Holley HP 750 DP, AFR195s, RPM Air Gap, Borg Warner T-56, Hooker Super Comp 1.75", Ford 9" with custom Moser axels, 3.89 Posi, MSD digital 6, Hotchkis springs, 4WDB, [email protected] on bald Nitto 555's

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 09, 04:26 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny5 View Post
No they didnt stick out. Look at the pics. I have a 9" rear with custom moser axels. My rear end is 58" as oposed to 60" in width. 4.75" of backspace would actually be perfect for me.
I read your original post over and I still haven't found where you said the rear end was narrowed. I also didn't find where you said that THE wheels in the picture are the ones you were asking about. Now that I have a better understanding of what you are working with I will tell what you already know. All these cars are a little different and you have to check both sides and on and on.............but there are 1st gens on this site that have gotten 10 wide wheels with 275 tires in the rear to work. If you have a rear that is narrowed 1" on each side - yes as you said 4.75" backspace would be "perfect" for your car. You may have to clearence the inner wheelwell or the outter 1/4 lip to gain a little extra room but it all should work. Good luck if you decide to pull the trigger on these wheels.

Jack
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 09, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV69z/28rs View Post
I read your original post over and I still haven't found where you said the rear end was narrowed. I also didn't find where you said that THE wheels in the picture are the ones you were asking about. Now that I have a better understanding of what you are working with I will tell what you already know. All these cars are a little different and you have to check both sides and on and on.............but there are 1st gens on this site that have gotten 10 wide wheels with 275 tires in the rear to work. If you have a rear that is narrowed 1" on each side - yes as you said 4.75" backspace would be "perfect" for your car. You may have to clearence the inner wheelwell or the outter 1/4 lip to gain a little extra room but it all should work. Good luck if you decide to pull the trigger on these wheels.

Thanks Jack. I guess I didn't really say the rear was narrowed. It actualy is the stock width, which is I guess 2" narrower than a stock Camaro. The first pics show the wheels I'm thinking about. What I really wanted was some guys to chime in regarding 17/18's or 18's all around. I realize most on this site are probabby running 17 max. I just feel a 25.7" tall tire doesn't really fill out wheel wells especially the rear. If anyone has pics of 17/18 combos it would be great.

John

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 09, 09:36 PM
Senior Tech

Go over to www.lateral-g.net and check out the 1st gen Camaros. There is an overload on that site. I like the same size front and rear if you go with 17s or 18s. If you go bigger than I think staggered diameter works a little better. That's just me. I don't think 17s and 18s look bad. Actually I think it looks fine - it's just not my 1st choise. If you really like the wheels and the price is really RIGHT then go for it. The only time it looks bad is when you have more tire sidewall in the front than in the rear. If you go with the 245/45-17s in the front and the 275/40-18s in the rear the sidewalls will be the same. It will look fine. You will just have a very slight front to rear rake. Are you OK with that?

Jack
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 09, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

I'm okay with a little rake, it is what I have now with my 15 inch Torq Thrusts. 26.1" dia in the front and 27" dia. in the rear. I've looked at all the pics in the- post your tire wheel specs sticky- and only fotund a few 17/18 cars, I don't think any were 69's. I think Lat g for the most part guys are running 18's or 18/19's combos. I like a little more sidewall thats why I was leaning to the 17/18 combo and my car is far from pro touring. That plus the fact that the 17's wouldn't be a custom shop order and the entire price for a new set of wheels would be reasonable. Then I could start saving for that TKO 600.

John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode