Foose Legend backspace and tire question? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 09, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Foose Legend backspace and tire question?

I have decided on the Chrome Foose Legends for my 69 Camaro SS. I have the Hotchkis TVS system that lowers the front 2" and the rear 1.5". From what I can see from other posts is that typically I would use the 18x8 with 4.75 BS and a 235/40/18 tire in the front and 18x9 with 5.5 BS and 275/40/18 tires in the rear. The problem I am seeing is that the 18x8 fronts only come in a 4.5 BS or 5.0 BS and the 18x9 rears only come in a 5.25 BS or 5.75 BS? So what setup should I go with and not have clearance issues? Also can I use a 245/40/18 tire on the front?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 09, 09:26 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Foose Legend backspace and tire question?

I think I would go with the 18x8 with 5" backspace in the front and the 245/40 tire. In the rear I would go with the 18x9 with the 5.25" backspace and the 275/40 tire. Of course you can always go with the 18x9 with the 5.75" backspace and use a 1/4" spacer if you think you're going to be too close to the lip of the 1/4 panel. I don't think that would be the case though.

Jack
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 09, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV69z/28rs View Post
I think I would go with the 18x8 with 5" backspace in the front and the 245/40 tire. In the rear I would go with the 18x9 with the 5.25" backspace and the 275/40 tire. Of course you can always go with the 18x9 with the 5.75" backspace and use a 1/4" spacer if you think you're going to be too close to the lip of the 1/4 panel. I don't think that would be the case though.
I would think that the 5 BS on the front would make it rub for sure? Have you used that size? Thanks

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 09, 06:11 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Z View Post
I would think that the 5 BS on the front would make it rub for sure? Have you used that size? Thanks
Yes and for what it's worth I ONLY answer these qustions from hands on experience. That doesn't mean that it's a GUARANTEE that what I say works on EVERY car. Back to that.... all these cars are a little different, 40+ years of wear and tear, accident damage, replacement panels, production tolerance, and lets not forget RUST keeps these cars from ALL being the same. Another thing to think about is because all these cars ARE a little different it's always better to error on too much backspace than too little. I'm not advocating the use of spacers but a 1/4" spacer is a lot better than re-hooping a wheel. Think about the cost to re-hoop as well as the time it takes and the hassel to send a wheel back to the manufacturer. I hope this helps. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Jack
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 09, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Re:backspace and tire question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV69z/28rs View Post
Yes and for what it's worth I ONLY answer these qustions from hands on experience. That doesn't mean that it's a GUARANTEE that what I say works on EVERY car. Back to that.... all these cars are a little different, 40+ years of wear and tear, accident damage, replacement panels, production tolerance, and lets not forget RUST keeps these cars from ALL being the same. Another thing to think about is because all these cars ARE a little different it's always better to error on too much backspace than too little. I'm not advocating the use of spacers but a 1/4" spacer is a lot better than re-hooping a wheel. Think about the cost to re-hoop as well as the time it takes and the hassel to send a wheel back to the manufacturer. I hope this helps. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Was your car lowered in the front also when you used the 5" BS?

Last edited by Black Z; Mar 1st, 09 at 11:10 AM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 09, 03:20 PM
Senior Tech

Re: backspace and tire question?

Quote:
Was your car lowered in the front also when you used the 5" BS?
We actually fit a 18x8.5 with 5 and 1/8" backspace and a 245/40 tire. The car was lowered about 3+ inches in the front and rear and yes it was a '69.

Jack
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 09, 06:57 PM
Senior Tech
Frank

On a 8" front you need to have at least 4.75 BS, 5" works and tucks the tire a bit more.

On the rear, up to a 9.5 and 5.5BS is safe
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 09, 07:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms View Post
On a 8" front you need to have at least 4.75 BS, 5" works and tucks the tire a bit more.

On the rear, up to a 9.5 and 5.5BS is safe
This is the set up i have with Hotchkis front drop 2" lowering springs and rear Hotchkis 1.5 drop lowering leafs with my fronts with stock disk brakes are 18x7 with 4" back space and NO rubbing. So yes front 18x8 with 4.75 and the rears with drums brakes and 12-bolt are 18x9 with 5.5 back space.... Front tires are 245/40/18s and rears are 285/40/18s...

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Skeeter55; Mar 1st, 09 at 07:16 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 09, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

What about going with a 275/35/18 in the rear? Reason I am asking is because I already have a 4 new 275/38/18 BFG KDW NT tires that I could use on the rear. I think there is about an inch less sidewall then the 275/40/18 so it might look like there is not enough tire for my taste and make the ride a little more harsh.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 09, 04:47 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
What about going with a 275/35/18 in the rear? Reason I am asking is because I already have a 4 new 275/38/18 BFG KDW NT tires that I could use on the rear. I think there is about an inch less sidewall then the 275/40/18 so it might look like there is not enough tire for my taste and make the ride a little more harsh.
I think it would look like a forklift wheel and you'd have to match the front sidewall height to it - my opinion of course.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 09, 06:07 PM
Senior Tech

Lightbulb Re: Foose Legend backspace and tire question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
I think it would look like a forklift wheel and you'd have to match the front sidewall height to it - my opinion of course.
Well yes your are right (I don't know about a forklift though - ricer maybe??? ). You wind up with a tire that is about 25.6" tall in the rear and are kind of limited to a 235/40 tire in the front unless you want more front tire sidewall in the front than the rear (I hate that look - my opinion of course ). If you're concerned with ride quality that sure won't help. My concern would be with such short overall tire height would be getting the tires tucked up into the wheelwells so the car doesn't look like a 4x4. When you use low profile tires with large diameter wheels if the car is not lowered down on top of the tires the car looks a little strange.

Jack
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 09, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Well they are on they way, I hope they fit:

Chrome Foose Legends
18x8 5.0 BS w/ 245/40/18 Nitto NT555 Extreme on the front
18x9 5.25 BS w/ 275/40/18 Nitto NT555 Extreme on the rear
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 09, 04:37 PM
Senior Tech

We do the 18x8 and 18x9 with a 5" and a 5.25" all day long. Fit great!

Jon
Driverz Inc.com
"The Custom Wheel Experts"
1-866-694-5940
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 09, 11:52 AM
Senior Tech
Jeoffery J

Jon is that with discs front and rears??

Jeoff J.
Buffalo , NY...Brrrr

MY RIDE:

project "semi precious metal"
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 09, 05:12 PM
Scott

Quote:
Well they are on they way, I hope they fit:

Chrome Foose Legends
18x8 5.0 BS w/ 245/40/18 Nitto NT555 Extreme on the front
18x9 5.25 BS w/ 275/40/18 Nitto NT555 Extreme on the rear

Send pictures when you get them on your car. I'm thinking about the same size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode