New wheel choice if you like Torq Thrusts - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 09, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steiner

New wheel choice if you like Torq Thrusts

Thought I'd share this. First off, thanks to those hundreds ahead of me who posted Q&A about the best tire/wheel sizes.

Discount Tire Direct has a new wheel by MB Motoring (Voxx) called the "Old School". They don't have pictures of it anywhere, not even in stores. It is basically a Torq Thrust II knock-off (heck, even American Racing has three or four knock-offs of their own rim) and is available in gunmetal, black, and chrome. I finally found the right combo of terms to use in google to find a picture. Here's a link:

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums...-school-10926/

I just purchased a complete tire and wheel set mounted and balanced for $998 shipped with:
Two 17x8 chrome, 7 offset (4.75" backspace)
Two 17x9.5 chrome, 7 offset (5.5" backspace)
Two Hankook 235/45-ZR17
Two Hankook 275/40-ZR17

Ordering the complete disc brake upgrade from Matt's Classic Bowties tomorrow....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 09, 12:09 AM

Re: New wheel choice if you like Torq Thrusts

i like those. what kind of car do you have? i wonder if they make sizes to fit my 67 camaro...?
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 09, 01:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Nice looking rims. I second that on the fitting a 67.

67 Vert RS/SS 350 4 SP

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 09, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadedSS View Post
i like those. what kind of car do you have? i wonder if they make sizes to fit my 67 camaro...?
I have a '69 Camaro. By reading through pages and pages of the sticky post at the top of the forum, the best looks and fit seemed to be the sizes that I listed and purchased. If you go through that post, you can probably find out what will fit yours as well. After looking all over the web, I was shocked to find the exact size I wanted within my price range without having to order direct from the manufacturer. I had just about resigned myself to going with a "close but not ideal" set off ebay.

Once you find what size you want, go to discounttiredirect.com and you can search wheels by either bolt spacing, diameter, width, or a combination of all three. They list their wheels with offset, not backspacing, but there is a handy conversion chart here:
https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 09, 03:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Good looking rims
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 09, 04:03 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Nice. They're kind of a modern update to the TT D's.

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 09, 07:37 AM
Senior Tech
Timothy

Once you get your wheels please let us know how well they fit and if anything rubs. Maybe post a pic or two. Thanks in advance.

My 69 RS/SS 396 Project -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I may be dumb but I aint stupid"
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 09, 08:18 AM

thanks steiner, what a great deal I just ordered a set to, they are accually having a $50 special today I got the same set up for my 67 for $914 shipped to vermont. Ill bet those prices dont last to long.thanks alot for the info, I was in a bit of a bind as I just did my disc brake upgrade, and my 14'' ralleys dont fit anymore so i was going to get a couple of junkyard wheels to move it around, but that price is to good to pass up. again thanks alot.
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 09, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT67 View Post
thanks steiner, what a great deal I just ordered a set to, they are accually having a $50 special today I got the same set up for my 67 for $914 shipped to vermont. Ill bet those prices dont last to long.thanks alot for the info, I was in a bit of a bind as I just did my disc brake upgrade, and my 14'' ralleys dont fit anymore so i was going to get a couple of junkyard wheels to move it around, but that price is to good to pass up. again thanks alot.

Cool! *cough* finder's fee *cough*

Discount sent me a pic of the chrome Old School which is what I have on order.

post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 09, 06:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
JB

Talk about surprises...I was finally about to pull the trigger on buying a set of rims and tires and had narrowed my choices to Foose Legends (chrome) or Torq Thurst II's (polished).

I saw these wheels (thanks to your post, Steiner ) and immediately fell in love with the gun metal gray (anthracite) version...I can't explain why I like them so much, especially since they're not even chrome or polished "shiny"!!! So next thing you know, I ordered a set through Brad at Discount (a great guy to work with) and they'll be here next week! Here's what I got for my 67 RS:

Front:
17x8 with +7 offset (4.75 bs)
Hankook 235/45/ZR17 tires

Rear:
17x9.5 with +6 offset (5.5 bs)
Hankook 275/40/ZR17 tires

This will be the first time since I had the car that the wheels and tires were anything but "rollers"...I'm pretty happy!!!

1967 Marina Blue RS Coupe:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 Red Jewel Tintcoat RS Convertible:

1967 Madeira Maroon Coupe (barn find):
post #11 of 71 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 09, 06:16 PM

nice, I went with the gun metal, my 67 is silver I think it will look nice, Im acually thinking of changing the bumble bee stripe too gun metal to accent the wheels. I think I was looking at the same wheels you were on ebay about $1226 shipped. I allmost pulled the trigger on them last night, glad I didnt.
post #12 of 71 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 09, 06:19 PM

nice john thats the same setup I got
post #13 of 71 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 09, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT67 View Post
nice, I went with the gun metal, my 67 is silver I think it will look nice, Im acually thinking of changing the bumble bee stripe too gun metal to accent the wheels. I think I was looking at the same wheels you were on ebay about $1226 shipped. I allmost pulled the trigger on them last night, glad I didnt.

If they were the ones that were 17x8 with 4.5" backspacing than I bet we were looking at the same ones. The good thing about getting these is that they are better than "just close" and I have several Discount Tire stores close to me. I ordered them online though since they didn't charge sales tax, shipping was free, and they didn't list the Hankook tires on the site for the local stores.

Everyone else will have pictures and fitment info waaaayyyy before me. My car has been in storage for about six years and I'm still working on getting it running. I also went ahead and blew my bonus on the complete four-wheel power disc brake set, front and rear springs and shocks, complete poly suspension rebuild kit, tie rods and other front suspension stuff, and front and rear swaybars. So, there is a lot of crap that needs to happen before I mount the wheels and I only get to devote about a half day or so a week to my personal interests. I'm a little bit of an impulse buyer so I got hot in the crotch about going ahead and getting everything at once. Now that I've got it all, I'll probably get it started next week and it'll throw a rod across the street.
post #14 of 71 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 09, 04:48 AM

yup, those were the same wheels. Ive pretty much just done everthing your getting ready to do, I still have my front end apart as im waiting on my upper adjustable control arms & tall balljoints.hopefully its all here by the end of next week so I can put it back together, although theres still 2' of snow here so it will be a wile yet before I can get it out. I will try to post some pics for ya as soon as I can .
post #15 of 71 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 09, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steiner

They're heeerrreeee. And they look schweet.

Gotta do the suspension rebuild and disc brake upgrade before I even bother mounting them though. Just need the wife to go visit her parents for the next, oh, eight weekends and I should be cool. If she hadn't been gone last weekend, the thing probably wouldn't even be running right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode