Does anyone make z rated 15" performance tires? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 09, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
DHH
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Question Does anyone make z rated 15" performance tires?

In the wheels and tires sticky I really like the silver SS about 3/4 way through with the 383 badges wheel/tire combo. He is running 235/60/15 front and 275/60/15 rear. I've searched here and the web and I can't find a tire like the BF Goodrich G-Force Sport in this size. I'd like a Z rated tire (maybe that's overkill) but I can overpower my current 14" TA's at will. I could live with a 17" wheel and tire, but the 15's and 60 sidewall just look righteous to me. Anybody know of a 15" performance tire? And I do understand that less sidewall = less defelection, but I live near Chicago, the land of potholes.

Some videos I'v made for youtube

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 09, 07:40 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: Does anyone make z rated 15" performance tires?

Using the Tire Rack sites search feature I found that the 275/60 & 235/60 15's highest speed rating is "S - 112 mph". It came back with 3 tires out of the hundreds they sell.

Tire Rack doesn't sell every brand made but they are a good cross reference for what's available.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 09, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
DHH
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Hi Dennis, I tried them too. Discount tire so on. I may have to go with 17" just in case I get a little happy with my right foot.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 09, 10:49 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

Jeg's is listing some Mickey Thompson T-rated/118mph performance radial tires (15" sizes) in the rear of their latest catalog.

'69 SS X66 Camaro
454, TH400 & GearVendor, 12 bolt
'82 Corvette.
stock
'81 Camaro Pro Bracket car.
406, TH350, 10 bolt, NHRA #3148
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 09, 11:40 AM
Senior Tech
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHH View Post
I'd like a Z rated tire (maybe that's overkill) but I can overpower my current 14" TA's at will.
Why stop at a Z rated tire, they make even higher speed rated tires now, like 99W, 99Y and (99Y)!

Maybe what you need a high traction tire, not a high speed tire.

Where do you need the tire to perform, sustained high speed and load, or traction during acceleration?

Ever consider a drag radial?

And that is a very nice looking factory wheel, it will look great on your car.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 09, 04:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHH View Post
In the wheels and tires sticky I really like the silver SS about 3/4 way through with the 383 badges wheel/tire combo. He is running 235/60/15 front and 275/60/15 rear. I've searched here and the web and I can't find a tire like the BF Goodrich G-Force Sport in this size. I'd like a Z rated tire (maybe that's overkill) but I can overpower my current 14" TA's at will. I could live with a 17" wheel and tire, but the 15's and 60 sidewall just look righteous to me. Anybody know of a 15" performance tire? And I do understand that less sidewall = less defelection, but I live near Chicago, the land of potholes.

I know the feeling!! It's like a Playstation game trying to dodge the potholes out here. Unless you plan on taking turns at a very high speed you don't really need a Z speed rating....The P225/60R15 was OEM on 5.0L Mustang GT's & LX's back in the 1980's & early 1990's and this tire size could be had in a V speed rating up to 149MPH......An H speed rating is good to 130MPH (at least it was in the 1990's when I sold tires until 1998).....P275/60/R15 rarely came on anything OEM so it's hard to find a speed rating over "S" 112 MPH...

The higher speed ratings keep the tire from becoming oblong under greater centrifugal forces & stresses and "growing" which is why you see the highest speed ratings on high end sports cars. That and the sidewalls are stiffer to handle turns & stop the car on a dime.

If you are going to drag race the car the drag radials will be just fine, but something like that (drag radials) will compromise your vehicles handling on the street if you like to get on your car around turns/expressway off ramps/ through some forest preserves, etc.

If you want the best of both worlds a 16" wheel with the correct offset & backspacing with a P245/50ZR16 tire which is what the IROC-Z 3rd gen or 4th gen Z28's came with will work for blasting out high top ends on I355 with no one around or takin' Da car to Da Grove in WI or RT 66 in Joliet. Some 4th gen's came with 17's...Perelli & others made H, V & even Z rated P235/60R15's back in the day for Jaguars I think, but I have't seen them in years....Ok, now I really gotta get back to work on some things in the office so I can get home before dark.

Just my 2.2 cents

P.S. If you don't want to switch the wheels, you can go with P225/60/R15 in the front in a "V" speed rating which is still plentiful in availability and then stick drag radials on the back of it.... you can even find the P225/60R15 on www.discounttire.com in an S, V or H speed rating.....That size will work all day on the front of a first gen!!

1) 1969 Camaro RS 396 TH 400, 12 bolt 3:73 sold 1994

2) 1984 Z28, 5.0 H.O. T-Tops, G92 3:73, sold 1994
3) 1988 5.7L IROC-Z, sold 1994
4) 1969 Camaro bought 2006, back on the road in 2010

Last edited by South Side Goons & Hitmen; Mar 15th, 09 at 04:25 PM. Reason: P.S.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 09, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
DHH
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

I don't think the drag radials would survive the roads near me and I asked about the Z rating because I have been North of 115 a time or two when the roads were deserted.

Last edited by DHH; Mar 16th, 09 at 09:59 AM. Reason: redundant
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 09, 10:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

short bursts of speed up to 120 or 130 do not require a high speed rating. It is sustained HIGH speeds (beyond what most early camaros are capable of) that require high speed ratings. It's a temperature thing.. . as the flexing of the tire generates inner heat, and for long periods at high speed, that heat can build up to the point of the tire coming apart.

Gary
69Z28-RS
Corvettes (5), Nomads (2), El Camino, etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode