anybody use the little do it yourself wheel balancer's ? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 09, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

Question anybody use the little do it yourself wheel balancer's ?

I am alway's needing tire's balanced and I just ordered me one of those trick little old style balancers that has the bullseye in the top of it , anybody else use one like that ? nowaday's most place's want $30 buck's to balance 4 tire's , the floor model balancer was only $14.95
I know that a computer spin balancer is better but I wonder how close it will be with the one like I am talking about ?
thank's

1967 RS 327
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 09, 06:32 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Re: anybody use the little do it yourself wheel balancer's ?

I think it will work good for a low speed operation like a truck tire or Farm/Ranch equipment. If it's anything other than that I think the money spent on computer balancing it worth it to keep vibration out and prevent ware on the suspension.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 09, 08:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Properly balanced I think you should be good to about 60 or so. If you like to travel faster than that I think you need spin balance. This is such old technology I'm not sure about how to properly balance with it any more. I started with one of these but then the Boss decided it was faster and cheaper to just spin everything.

Jeff

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 09, 08:48 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
I know that a computer spin balancer is better but I wonder how close it will be with the one like I am talking about ?
You answer your own question balance them up then get them balanced on a KNOWN electronic balancer that has just had the calibration checked.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 09, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

Talking Re: anybody use the little do it yourself wheel balancer's ?

OK , I got my little jiffy backyard balancer and took my wheel's off and balanced them up THEY WERE OFF BAD !
took a drive and at 65 you can drive it with one finger ! AWESOME !

I did this for two reason's
#1 I did this myself for less than it would cost to pay someone to do it
#2 I have to admit I have a FOBIA I guess you could say in that I can't stand the thought of letting someone else work on my car ,
I do my own engine's and transmission's , I do my own bodywork and paint , my own exhaust , interior , ALL OF IT !
and now I balance my own's tire's

1967 RS 327
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 09, 03:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

I recommend the spin balancers. FWIW I have used the bubble balancer but it was for large heavy truck tires that would have sheared the cone, bar and motor right off the spin balancers during the period of 1989 - 1998 when I worked in the tire & auto service industry.....The bubble balancer was ok for big heavy bias ply tires on box trucks in that era or even radials on the drive wheels of semi truck tires but not for car tires.....With the bubble balance the ground it sits on has to perfectly level otherwise it's off.....If you are outside on a windy day it will be a bit off....Trust me I have seen it and experienced it first hand....

Nowadays they have dynamic spin balancing on the car to check for vibrations...In my day we always took 'em off the car.....I'm not sure how the new stuff works...In the old days I would put it on the spin balancer and zero it out 100% of the time...If the tire was dry I would then roll it to a spin balancer without a cover and check for run-out/out of round while I spun it; which you can't always do with the naked eye when the tire & wheel sit still, sideways & flat on the bubble balancer....FWIW, I hated comebacks and our customers loved us no matter where I worked....The coats mag wheel machine was also fairly new as well back then.

1) 1969 Camaro RS 396 TH 400, 12 bolt 3:73 sold 1994

2) 1984 Z28, 5.0 H.O. T-Tops, G92 3:73, sold 1994
3) 1988 5.7L IROC-Z, sold 1994
4) 1969 Camaro bought 2006, back on the road in 2010
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 09, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Side Goons & Hitmen View Post
Nowadays they have dynamic spin balancing on the car to check for vibrations...
I did this in the '60's with Bear equipment. Instead of holding the knobs, I used a accelerometer and a strobe light. Damn good balance --- be sure to mark the axle stud as to where the valve stem was at when removing the tire.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 09, 04:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
I did this in the '60's with Bear equipment. Instead of holding the knobs, I used a accelerometer and a strobe light. Damn good balance --- be sure to mark the axle stud as to where the valve stem was at when removing the tire.
So that's what that thing was called???????? An accelerometer!! I would see the semi truck tire guys use the strobe light to balance new tires & even when they completed repairs on old tires. That thing looked like a timing light kind of...They would jack the front end up, do their thing on 11R24.5 or whatever..... It's been over a decade since I last saw one used and I forgot...The spin balancers I used could take 8.75x16.5 load range D or E all day...The truck tire guys in the 1990's would use that timing light thing over in the corner on semi's aka tractor trailers away from us "lightweight" car & suv guys and I forgot what that do-hickey was called. Thanks!!!

1) 1969 Camaro RS 396 TH 400, 12 bolt 3:73 sold 1994

2) 1984 Z28, 5.0 H.O. T-Tops, G92 3:73, sold 1994
3) 1988 5.7L IROC-Z, sold 1994
4) 1969 Camaro bought 2006, back on the road in 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode