17 x 11 American Racing wheels - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 09, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

17 x 11 American Racing wheels

Hello guys,
I'm looking for help or photo of anyone running 17x11 ARE 200s or similar wheel (TT, etc). I'm running 17x8 front with 5" backspacing and the edge of the wheel center or spokes of the wheel is right where the wheel rim "steps up" or goes to a smaller diameter. It is the same on a 17x9.5 with 6.5" BS - that is, both wheels have 3 inches of "frontspacing" if you wanna call it that. I want my 17x11's to have slightly more dish (about and inch) than the fronts but do not want a "double step" in the wheel rim. The BS I would need is about 7" and I am mini-tubbing and probably shortening the rear-end. I know this may be difficult to visualize and it is certainly hard to explain. There are some photos of ARE 17x9.5's with 5.5 BS in the sticky's with the "double step", maybe that can help.

Here is a link to a photo of a "double step".

http://store.summitracing.com/largei...=are-420_w.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 09, 02:07 PM

Re: 17 x 11 American Racing wheels

David,
I just got my 200 s 17 x 11's last week. I went with a 5.25 BS so I could get the deep look. The distance from the first lip to the second is probably 1" then I have about 3" of smooth lip to the edge of the spoke. I don't think you are going to get a deep look with 7" of BS. I went through wheelsforless and got the custom BS for $300 delivered to my door in seven weeks. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 09, 03:11 PM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Those are called "step-lipped" wheels versus the "soft lip" where there is no step.
Obviously a soft lip will look deeper because it has no step,making the spokes longer and giving the appearance of a deeper dish to the wheel.

68Hugger: I'd love to see those 200S wheels,that's probably a pretty cool look,especially that wide.Here's my 17x8/17x9.5 combo that I sold recently:

Always loved the look of the 200S wheel...

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 09, 04:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

I have a set of 200S' Mine are only 14" But the spokes look wide on the new ones.
,bought them in 73 been on the car since
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 09, 04:47 PM
Tech Team
steve

go to protouring.com on page 6 in for sale forum there is a 67 with 17x9.5 and 17x11 tt2take a look at those.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 09, 07:09 PM

I have pictures for you but don't know how to put them on the site. Is posting pics just for users with more history?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 09, 08:39 PM
Senior Tech

You really don't want 7" of backspace on an 11" wheel. Here's why http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...s-pics-13.html Take a look at the red Corvette. Those are 11" wide wheels in the rear with about 7 1/4" of backspace. What do you think?

"Always loved the look of the 200S wheel..." Me too John

Jack
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 09, 09:49 PM
Senior Tech
Rex

I just installed 17x11 ttII on my 69 after mini tubbing it. I kept the rear end stock length. I followed franks advice at prodigy and went with 7.00" back space...they look great....I do not know how to upload pictures here, but if you get me you email address, I will end you some pics...

69 x-11..LS1, 420.88 horse to the tires,750 Holley Ultra DP, Torquer V2, darksides headers, PRC heads, 10.8:1 compression, forged bottom end, 5 speed. 2008 King Ranch F150 4x4.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 09, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for the info and pics guys. What I'm looking for is a slightly deeper dish than the front wheels but not necessarily "deep". What I would really like is for the first "lip" to be about 2 - 2.5 inches and then step up to where the spokes are welded. My 8" front and my 9.5" rears both are about 1 - 1.25" width of the first lip. The fronts are 5" BS and the rears are 6.5" BS, both have the same 3" 'frontspacing'. I guess I want 4 to 4.5 "frontspacing" (a little more than the front wheels, but not necessarily deep). Hence the 7" BS on 17x11 wheel.

The corvette forum says the rears are 45mm offset or 7.7 BS. The spokes appear to be very close to the second lip, which would make sense - a little over a 3" frontspace.

vox and hugger - I would love to see pics of your wheels. If you can't upload, send to: [email protected], or [email protected]. First is obviously work, second is home. Most uploaded pictures to the site are blocked on my work computer but I can see them at home. If I can run a 7" BS and get the look I want, and not have to shorten the rear end - that would be awesome and save me some $$$

musclecar john - that is an awesome car - love the look and the rough cast spokes of your 200s. Mine are polished but really like the rough better. How much is that car lowered??

I found an old post that said the blue '69 of Craig Boone in CHP a few years back ran a 7" BS on a 17x11 rear. It looked like he had the same dish front and rear.

Does anyone know if running a large BS is harder on the wheel or rear axle bearings?? Just a thought.

Thanks for all the help - david
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 09, 10:54 AM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk68 View Post

musclecar john - that is an awesome car - love the look and the rough cast spokes of your 200s. Mine are polished but really like the rough better. How much is that car lowered??
Car sits 22.75" from center of front wheelwell to the ground and 23.75" in the rear.
No issues except for the front c/f spoiler which is about 3/4" taller than a stock piece,I have to be careful there.
My Koni shocks are set on kill so no wheel rubbing anywhere.

Don't mean to hijack this thread but here is my current wheel combo,they are 18" Rushforth Superspokes in a smoked titanium finish w/exposed hardware:

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 09, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

hugger, I would still like to see a picture of your 200s's if you could post it - or send me a pm or just email. I'm probably going to go with more BS but I'd still like to see how yours look. Thanks for you help.

john - love your new wheels too!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 09, 10:42 AM
Senior Tech
Andy

Send a message via AIM to 67SS&99SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidk68 View Post
hugger, I would still like to see a picture of your 200s's if you could post it - or send me a pm or just email. I'm probably going to go with more BS but I'd still like to see how yours look. Thanks for you help.

john - love your new wheels too!

I know its not a 1st gen, but this a pic of my friends 02 SS with 17x9.5 and 17x11 Polished 200S Americans.

1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc, 522hp/514 ft lbs, Doug's 1 3/4" headers, M20, posi, 3.73's, vintage air gen IV, IROC steering box, Comp Eng. weld-in sfc's & traction bars, chrome US Mags

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 09, 07:10 PM

David,
Sent PM, camera,computer,my skills....not working to well...still trying.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 09, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

67 SS, Do you know what the backspacing is of your friends rear wheels, that's a nice car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode