Rear Wheels Not Fitting! - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 09, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Josh

Rear Wheels Not Fitting!

Hi All -

I just got a set of 17x9 5.5" BS V40's from Jon at Driverz Inc, and the wheels are hitting the lower shock mounts and the tires are rubbing against the inner fender on the top near the backseat kickdown.

Has anybody had this problem? Jon ensured me that multiple people have put these wheels on their cars in this size and had no fitment issues.

The car has multi leaf springs (still standard mono leaf shock mounts), a 9" ford (stock camaro length), and ECI brakes (Ralph tells me that the rotors are about 3/16" thicker than stock drums). Other than that, the back of the car is stock.

Does anybody know (or can speculate) on why I'm having these clearance issues?

Thanks,
Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 09, 08:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Re: Rear Wheels Not Fitting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusamson View Post
Hi All -

I just got a set of 17x9 5.5" BS V40's from Jon at Driverz Inc, and the wheels are hitting the lower shock mounts and the tires are rubbing against the inner fender on the top near the backseat kickdown.

Has anybody had this problem? Jon ensured me that multiple people have put these wheels on their cars in this size and had no fitments issues.

The car has multi leaf springs (still standard mono leaf shock mounts), a 9" ford (stock camaro length), and ECI brakes (Ralph tells me that the rotors are about 3/16" thicker than stock drums). Other than that, the back of the car is stock.

Thanks,
Josh
I don't know other then you could run a 1/4 spacer in the rear to help kick out the rim/tire from the inner fender well and shock mount... Sound like you were just a little off on the fitments how dose it clear on the outer fender lip.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 09, 08:13 AM
Senior Tech
Todd

It's possible your rear end isn't stock width. Either way skeet has it figured out. Jon will take care of you.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 09, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Josh

I put some washers in there to check clearance and 1/4" isn't going to do it. I threw the fronts (8" w/4.75" BS) on the rears and they fit great. I'm thinking of just ordering another set for the rears that are the same size
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 09, 08:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
I put some washers in there to check clearance and 1/4" isn't going to do it. I threw the fronts (8" w/4.75" BS) on the rears and they fit great. I'm thinking of just ordering another set for the rears that are the same size
Well that would work and you would be able to rotate your tires, but if you use that 4.75 back space and check to see if they make a 9.5 rim with a 4.75 back space it sure would look tuff and in the end when you stand back to look and admire your ride i think you would be pleased.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 09, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Josh

I threw some washers in betweeen the rotor and the wheels and I think they stick out a little bit too much. I'm okay with an 17x8, but I'm trying to find a tire that fills up the hole. The 235 40 17 doesn't really fill up the wheel well like I want...I may have to throw some lowering blocks in the car, or get the tallest Nitto 555's in a 17 that they make...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 09, 11:02 AM
Senior Tech
Ted

Quote:
Hi All -

Has anybody had this problem? Jon ensured me that multiple people have put these wheels on their cars in this size and had no fitment issues.

Thanks,
Josh
Josh, change your lower mono shock plates to multi plates. I have a 69 with17x9.5 w/5.5bs. I had this issue when I first switched from my old 10 bolt mono rear to a 12 multi leaf rear. The mono lower shock plate shock ears are about 2" lower then the multi plates shock mounting ear. The multi plate will give you the clearance you need. It will bring the shock mount ear up and away from your inner wheel. You might then have to drill out you shock rubber bushing to put the larger stud needed to install the shock. Or by some multi leaf shocks. I have some extra shock studs if needed. I too have the slight rub on the inner fender but that is only when going at an angle up a driveway.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 09, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Josh

Would I need to upgrade to a stagger shock setup too? Does anybody make mulit-leaf shock plates for a non-stagger car?

I actually already have a set of multi shocks so that's not an issue.

To get rid of the rub, I would probably need a wheel spacer...it mounts up flush, but would probably not be something one could live with.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 09, 02:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
Would I need to upgrade to a stagger shock setup too? Does anybody make mulit-leaf shock plates for a non-stagger car?

I actually already have a set of multi shocks so that's not an issue.

To get rid of the rub, I would probably need a wheel spacer...it mounts up flush, but would probably not be something one could live with.
Josh what year Camaro is this...

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 09, 02:41 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Assuming you have a 67? If so, DSE sells multi shock plates for non staggered. Notjing wrong with a wheel spacer - get a good quality one and don't forget longer wheel studs.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 09, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Josh

Sorry guys - It is a 67 convertible. I suppose I'm not against doing a conversion to stagger...what's another weekend or two not on the road...ugh...Has anybody done this before?

Thanks for all your help thus far,

Josh
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 09, 04:22 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Why do that? There is no need.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 09, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Josh

True enough...is anybody running the DSE plates? Are they truly going to give me 2" more clearance than the stock mono-plates?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 09, 05:10 PM
Senior Tech
Frank

Jon selected the correct back space. 5.5BS on a 9.5 with a 275 tire works on 99% of car that are stock. I would check you overall width of your rear make sure it is 60" brake hub to brake hub. Also verify the back space on the wheels and make sure they are indeed 5.5 and not 6".

The fact that your car has a 9" and the wheels are rubbing on the inside tells me is it not 60".
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 09, 07:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Send a message via MSN to Mike_M

Hey Josh, I had the same issue with mono leaf shock plates on my '68, although for me it wasn't a problem until I installed 1" lowering blocks. I changed the lower shock plates to the DSE ones, and that solved the issue. The DSE shock plates are very nice pieces, much heavier duty than the stock ones. I'm not sure if they gave me a full 2" more clearance, but it's probably very close to that.

Here is the link to the DSE shock plates, I think you'd need part number 040302L and 040302R: http://www.detroitspeed.com/productp..._prod_test.htm

Here is my thread on the same issue: https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=148258

Lots of pictures for your reference in my thread. I can't offer any advice on the fender well issue, but it sounds like Frank has that one covered. Good luck with it!

Mike...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode