Will these fit, any help is appreciated - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 09, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Brad

Question Will these fit, any help is appreciated

I'm going to buy some wheels for my 69 Camaro and wonder if anyone sees any problems with them fitting.

My Camaro hasn't been lowered or modified and I'm thinking of getting Foose legends:
17x7 in the front with 245/45/17 with 4.25" backspacing and 17x8 in the rear with 255/45/17 with 4.5" backspacing. I've got drum breaks.

Will these work. Any info is much appreciated.

I put my brothers wheels on the rear which were 17x8 with 5.5" with 245/45/17 tires and we had to put a 1" spacer so it would be away from the inner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 09, 03:08 PM

Re: Will these fit, any help is appreciated

heres the maximum you can go with 17s

17-inch: 17x91/2 with 6-inch back-spacing up front; you’ll need to modify the steering stops or the lower control arm to prevent contact. Camaros use 17x10 rears, Firebirds use 17x11, both with 6-inch backspacing. As mentioned in the 15-inch recommendations, you’ll need to remove the seatbelt retractor and bulge. Use tires with an aspect ratio of 40 or less with widths of 275 front, 295-315 rear. This is a really tight fit, so success will vary car-to-car.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 09, 03:23 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

I think you will find for a '69 anything larger than 17x8 with a 4.75" back spacing up front and 245/45's on them will require removing the inner fenders or greatly modifying them. For the rear 17x9.5 with a 5.5" back space (maybe 10 with 5.75") and 275/40 tires is max before a mini-tub becomes necessary.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 09, 06:50 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotred81 View Post
heres the maximum you can go with 17s

17-inch: 17x91/2 with 6-inch back-spacing up front; you’ll need to modify the steering stops or the lower control arm to prevent contact. Camaros use 17x10 rears, Firebirds use 17x11, both with 6-inch backspacing. As mentioned in the 15-inch recommendations, you’ll need to remove the seatbelt retractor and bulge. Use tires with an aspect ratio of 40 or less with widths of 275 front, 295-315 rear. This is a really tight fit, so success will vary car-to-car.
Yes these sizes ARE a really tight fit. Do you have any pictures of lowered '69 1st gen f-bodies with 17x11 with 315s IN the stock wheel wells? If so could you please post them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
I think you will find for a '69 anything larger than 17x8 with a 4.75" back spacing up front and 245/45's on them will require removing the inner fenders or greatly modifying them. For the rear 17x9.5 with a 5.5" back space (maybe 10 with 5.75") and 275/40 tires is max before a mini-tub becomes necessary.
Based on my experience You are going to find what Dennis suggested will have a much better chance of fitting without extensive modifications. Always keep in mind all these cars are a little different and rust and sheet metal replacement has an effect on what fits. Another thing to consider is that 17" and up wheels "look" a lot better when the car is lowered a little. Good luck with what ever you decide.

Jack
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 09, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Brad

Thanks for the advise everyone. I'm going to do some more measuring before I order just to be safe. Have a good day!

B-Rad
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 09, 08:30 AM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
spot-on advice there...

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 09, 09:19 AM
Tech Team
Steve

Send a message via AIM to fixdaserver

put on a set of foose legends on my 69, 235/40/18 & 275/40/18. no fender mods and no rubbing. picked them up from jon at driverzincorporated.

Steve - (fixdaserver)
'69 Restomod.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 09, 11:10 AM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixdaserver View Post
put on a set of foose legends on my 69, 235/40/18 & 275/40/18. no fender mods and no rubbing. picked them up from jon at www.driverzinc.com.
Fixed it for you...

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 09, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Brad

Quote:
Can I go 17x9 with 275/40/17 for rear. If so what back spacing.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 09, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Radfire69 View Post
Can I go 17x9 with 275/40/17 for rear. If so what back spacing.
this is what I can get in the foose legends

17x9 5/4.75,
+7mm Offset, 5.25" Backspace

What are your thoughts?
Thanks, Brad
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 09, 07:25 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Brad start with the 9.5" wide wheel and 5.5" of backspacing and work down. Split the width difference like this. A 9.5" wheel has 5.5" from the mounting surface (the pad) to the inside edge of the rim (as mounted on the car). That means there is 4" from the pad to the outer edge of the rim (outer fender). Any smaller width wheel that fits between those 2 numbers should work. Some examples that work:

9" width with 5.5" of bs has 3.5" from the pad towards the outer lip.

9" width with 5.25" of bs has 3.75" from the pad towards the outer lip.

9" width with 5" of bs has 4" from the pad towards the outer lip.

The better you center the wheel and tire in the wheel well the better off you are but in theory if a 275 tire fits on the 9.5" wide wheel with 5.5" of BS it should fit on the 3 examples above. If you have rear disc's expect to have to roll or trim the fender lip if your wheel has 4" from the pad to the outer rim lip.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 09, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Brad

Quote:
Brad start with the 9.5" wide wheel and 5.5" of backspacing and work down. Split the width difference like this. A 9.5" wheel has 5.5" from the mounting surface (the pad) to the inside edge of the rim (as mounted on the car). That means there is 4" from the pad to the outer edge of the rim (outer fender). Any smaller width wheel that fits between those 2 numbers should work. Some examples that work:

9" width with 5.5" of bs has 3.5" from the pad towards the outer lip.

9" width with 5.25" of bs has 3.75" from the pad towards the outer lip.

9" width with 5" of bs has 4" from the pad towards the outer lip.

The better you center the wheel and tire in the wheel well the better off you are but in theory if a 275 tire fits on the 9.5" wide wheel with 5.5" of BS it should fit on the 3 examples above. If you have rear disc's expect to have to roll or trim the fender lip if your wheel has 4" from the pad to the outer rim lip.
I've got drum breaks in the rear.
I just ordered Foose legends, 17"x9" width with 5.25" backspacing and 275/40/17 BF Goodrich tires for the rear.

I'll let you know how they fit and upload pictures.
Thank you so much for your help!
Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode