drag radial ? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 09, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

drag radial ?

does anyone know if a 325-50-15 drag radial will fit with a 10" wheel under the back of a 68 camaro with stock tubs or am I limited to the 275-60-15 on an 8" wheel.I want to try and keep it all under the car not sticking out,any of you guys got pics,I also talked to moser and they said they could narrow a rear 1"to 1.5" for me because I'm looking to get as much dish as possible,any help will be appreciated,Thanks Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 09, 04:28 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

Re: drag radial ?

Mini tub is your only option with a 325.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 09, 06:06 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

A 325 tire is almost 13" wide.... your stock wheelwells are 12"

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 09, 06:40 PM

i have a 69 and a 325-50-15 fits with a 8inch rim
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 09, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc69 View Post
i have a 69 and a 325-50-15 fits with a 8inch rim
you got any pics by chance?you do have the rear shackle moved in i'm sure right?how bad does the 8" wheel bring the sidewalls in since that tire usually uses a 10" wheel,Thanks Chris
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 09, 07:00 PM

sorry no pics right now but i had to do a little massaging they rubbed a little when i turned but the shackels were in stock location the rims are eights with 4inch backspacing
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 09, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

allright thanks bbc69
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 09, 07:23 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

MT DR 325/50 x 15(11" tread width x 26.1" dia) is recomended to be on a 9-12" rim. A tire that big on a small 8" rim will be sucked in too much and the full width of the tread will not contact the ground. You would be better off using a 275/50 x 15(10" tread width x 26.1" dia) on the 8" rim IMO, still a lot of tire. Not sure if the 325 mounted on a 10" rim will fit in the stock 1st gen wheel well, seems like it would be too much to me. I tried to run a 275/60 x 15 on a 7" rim(recomended 7.5-9.5) and I can clearly see where the tire was making contact with the ground and about 3/4" on each edge was not. I am switching to 8.5" rims right now which should work much better. Narrowing the rear end and custom wheel offsets will certainly get the look you want but at a greater cost.

Tom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 09, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

hey bowtie1Z28,he 325-50-15 has 11" tread and 27.9 dia.I dont think it will fit from what everyone says so I will probably just use an 8" rim with the 275-60-15 cause they are 28" in dia. and thats what i"m trying to use I just wanted as much tire as possible UNDER the car but it will be ok I hope.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 09, 07:47 PM

you could also go with the m/t et streets they look like slicks but have 3 grooves and are dot approved you could go with a 11.5x28 the tread width is only like 10inches should fit with no problem
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 09, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc69 View Post
you could also go with the m/t et streets they look like slicks but have 3 grooves and are dot approved you could go with a 11.5x28 the tread width is only like 10inches should fit with no problem
yeah they are nice but the road manners of the radial are so much better than the E.T streets.I will probably try the radials first when the car is finished and if they dont hook with the big block then maybe some et streets.Thanks for the help though I appreciate it as this is my first stock wheel tubbed camaro to mess with so I'm just trying to figure it all out ahead of time so I know what I need to buy.Thanks Chris
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 09, 07:58 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

CMQ - My bad on the 325 diameter, you are definitely right it is 27.9"............eyes must be getting tired. The 275 on an 8" rim would be a better fit and is still a good bit of tire!

Is this a manual or auto trans car? I have done a great deal of reading on another site dedicated to manual trans racing and they all pretty much say that drag radials are really not very good for manual trans cars. If you are running an auto they work great but for a manual trans ride you should consider the ET Streets or ET Drags or something similar. I am using MT DR's because I bought them before I did this research and I don't have the $$ to replace them right now.

Tom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 09, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Tom,my car will have a glide in it to begin with cause that is what I have right now and to much other stuff to buy but one day it will probably have a stick.I have also read the same type of info like you on the radials being no good with a stick but work with an auto pretty well.once I get it all together I will see how the radials do behind my BBC and a little spray,hopefully not to bad but maybe I can find out later this year as I have to get a good bit of stuff still to finish my car up,Thanks Chris
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 09, 10:14 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Keep in mind you don't need a 325 to hook on the track, there are cars going well into the 7's on a 275-60/15. Unless you are going for the look of the wider tire they are not always necessary.

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 09, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68rs406 View Post
Keep in mind you don't need a 325 to hook on the track, there are cars going well into the 7's on a 275-60/15. Unless you are going for the look of the wider tire they are not always necessary.
yeah I know I dont have to have them to hook but the look is kinda what I was after but it will still look good with the 275,Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode