Help me refine my wheel/tire setup before I order - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old May 10th, 09, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Help me refine my wheel/tire setup before I order

To start I’ve spend anywhere from 8-10 hours over several days doing nothing but reading wheel/tire posts here. I've read them all (I think) including the 67, 68, 69 stickies, etc and compiled tons of info. I went as far as cutting out close to 100 photos from all the great posts and building a first gen wheel colage to help me decide on the wheel style and brand. (see below if you don’t believe me). I have decided on the following:

Wheel Brand: Foose Legends
Size: 18x9 rear, 18x7 front

What I need is refinement/help with the backspacing and tires.
First my setup: 68 RS, 2 inch drop GW front coils, 1 1/2 inch drop rear multi-leafs, Koni adj shocks front/rear, Wilwood Dynalite disc brakes with 12.19 inch rotors, Moser 12 bolt.

Backspacing available for the front 18x7 are 4.0 or 4.25.
Backspacing available for the rear 18x9 are 5.25 or 5.75

What I think is my best shot and need advice/help on:
Front 18x7, 4.25 BS with 235/40 tire
Rear 18x9, 5.25 BS with 275/40 tire

Also, I went with 18x7 up front instead of something wider (18x8) as I have manual steering and a narrower tire helps a bit. Last, I read that the Moser rear is 58 inches versus the stock 60 inch. I need to verify this but if this is a fact then I would be better of with less backspacing on the rear rims.

Please fire away - good, bad, anything in between…

Thank you all, Matt.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zlek131; May 10th, 09 at 06:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old May 10th, 09, 05:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Re: Help me refine my wheel/tire setup before I order

Awesome i see my picture in there.

I would have to agree with your rim/tire sizes. The only thing i would suggest is the front tires run a 245/40/18 on that 7" rim like i do, but my back space is 4". The rear is perfect stick with the 275/40/18 it wont rub.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old May 11th, 09, 05:40 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

See mine too

I'd agree 245 should fit in the front. I have a 245/45/17 on the front. A 245/40/18 should fit the same as long as you nail the backspacing. I'm sure you have seen lot of people running these sizes so you can be sure they will fit. I have 5" backspacing which I think works better for really low cars but 4.75 or 4.875 might be better for higher ride height as I had to shim my steering arms to get the tie rod ends to clear the tire sidewall.

If you want to be sure I'd measure on both sides and see if there is any difference in how your front clip/frame is sitting. Sometimes on our old cars they are offset a bit (lower tolerances back then) which could cause issues when mounting the largest tires that can fit. Just pickup a suspension point and measure out to the center of the lip of the front fender or something. Should be pretty consistent from driver's to passenger's or know you have to be more careful. When I did this in the rear I found almost a 1/2 difference between the passenger's and driver's side which necessitated rolling the fender lip.

Ed

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old May 11th, 09, 09:09 AM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

cool board...see me up there a couple of times.

Just for your info,I have manual steering and currently run a 18x8 w/245/40 rubber...no problem once you get used to it.

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old May 11th, 09, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Well I placed the order. After hooking up with Jon from Driverz Inc.com who is a member here I decided on the following sizes:

Front 18x7, 4.25 BS with 225/40 tire

I stuck with the 7 inch up front. I considered going to an 8 inch with a 245/40 tire but 18x8 Legends are only offered in 5 inch backspace for this size. As reported by Ed and confirmed by Jon people have run into the tierod/rim clearance issues having to shim the steering arms or simply remember not to turn all the way. I also went with 225/40 tire as it will give me more of the "square" look in respect to the rim. Also will match the square look on the rear setup. Jon advised to use the 8 inch wheel with the 235 or 245 tire. No changes to the initial rear setup as most folks here and Jon agree hands down this is the one.

I will post pics here when I get them on. I must say I am pretty excited at this point in time as this is my first wheel buy ever. Thank you for all your help and advise...

Matt

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old May 11th, 09, 07:56 PM
Senior Tech
Dan

Cool. Deciding on wheel & tire size is so hard to figure out.

Cool board.
See my pic up there too. Here's a link to a shot I like better....the car looks so much cooler on the track.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...bringShot3.jpg

Dan

1968 RS - Black
408 w/ Muncie 4 speed & 12 bolt rear
Deluxe Houndstooth Interior
Dropped 2" with TeamIII Mini-Lites

Click for Picture:

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old May 12th, 09, 10:06 AM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

You're in great hands w/Jon Henson...tell him I said hi.

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old May 14th, 09, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecarjohn View Post
You're in great hands w/Jon Henson...tell him I said hi.
Yes, Jon seemed like a very nice guy and more importantly very knowledgeable. The prices were great too. I shopped around all over the place and got the best deal through him.

Matt

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old May 15th, 09, 09:14 AM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlek131 View Post
Yes, Jon seemed like a very nice guy and more importantly very knowledgeable. The prices were great too. I shopped around all over the place and got the best deal through him.
Excellent to hear...

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 09, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlek131 View Post
Well I placed the order. After hooking up with Jon from Driverz Inc.com who is a member here I decided on the following sizes:

Front 18x7, 4.25 BS with 225/40 tire

I stuck with the 7 inch up front...
They're here, I love them and wife is worried cause I am acting like a little kid on Christmas morning!

One minor correction.
Fronts are 18x7, 4.25 BS with 225/45 tire.

I'll post more pics once I get them on the car which should be this weekend.

Matt

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 09, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

The wheels are on but I have question regarding the rear fender lip and potential rubbing. A little background first. I have a 2+ inch gap (see pics) between the top of the fender lip and top of the tire. If the suspension was to compress enough the top of the tire would just clear the fender lip but the wider part of the tire would make contact hence rub. I loaded the trunk with weights and tried to push/bounce the rear to see how much suspension travel there is or if could make the tire go deep enough into the upper fender well to make it rub. I was not able to do it as there is hardly any travel as things seem pretty stiff. It would take a pretty big bump to make it compress over 2 inches.

Should the tire clear the fender lip regardless?

Having said that I think my options are:
Leave it as is and not worry about as it doesn't appear it's going to be issue.
Go to narrower tire like 260-265 instead of the 275 I have now.
Roll the fender lip.
And the last one I really don't want to mess with...exchange the wheel for a 5.75 backspace instead of the 5.25 I have now. 5.75 is the only other one that's available. That's 1/2 inch more that I have now and that would be too much backspace as I have about 1/4-3/8 inch of rear room to play with before I start rubbing the inner part of the fender. This option would require a 1/4 spacer to shim the wheel back out. All this would result in the wheel/tire moving in 1/4 inch or a 5.5 backspace. As always thanks in advance for any input/suggestion.

Matt

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 09, 10:32 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

I'd roll the lip, not that hard to do and should give you peace of mind. But you could always just drive it and if you feel it rubbing then go back then roll the lip.

Wheels look awesome btw

Ed

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old May 24th, 09, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Thanks Ed....I guess there is another option I forgot to mention and that would be to trim the lip. I did some reading about it yesterday on here and some say it may the way to go as rolling the lip can cause damage to the quarter panel. But as you say, I'll drive it first to see if there is a rubbing problem. Of course once I start driving it, exchanging the wheels for another set is not an option anymore.

Matt

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old May 24th, 09, 10:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mark

how much room is there on the inside of the tire to the car?

from those pics i think you would have a hard time getting it to rub. maybe a couple of fat chicks and a hard corner over a dip would do it

Don't stop now!!!

67 camaro driver
383 10:1
Horsepower:
515 @ 5,500 rpm
Torque:
499 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old May 24th, 09, 12:56 PM
Senior Tech
Jeoffery J

Talking Re: Help me refine my wheel/tire setup before I order

2 fat chicks,corner and a dip. now thats priceless.

Jeoff J.
Buffalo , NY...Brrrr

MY RIDE:

project "semi precious metal"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode