Opinion on my wheels - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 30th, 09, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Satatic
Opinion on my wheels

I bought the cheapest wheels i could find i know the answer to make things perfect is to use some math and buy custom wheels. For now i am interested in some opinions on making these look descent in the (very distant) future.

All 4 tires are 275/40/r17 on 17x9 wheels

This is the front which i think looks good and actually does fit and turn without hitting but i think it would rub somewhere under real world conditions. Has 1.5 inch adapters. I would change it to 245/??/r17 What middle number would keep it looking the same as the 275s?

This is the rear. I have the trunk loaded to hold the car down otherwise i would have about 8 inches of gap. As you can see there is a lot of space between the body and tire. I think there should be less space. How would i achieve this? do I do something like 275/60/r17? That makes the sidewall bigger right? Still need to add 1.5 inch adapters to the rear to make it even with the front.

Here is how it stands right now, if i were to lower the rear more it would start to look stupid, like a cadillac with blown rear air bags. I think the rear axle is out of square right now because i used makeshift bushings in the rear of the leaf springs so the rear axle is able to slide at least and inch either way.

I know what i really need is 315/??/18 in the rear and 245/??/17 in the front. Maybe some day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 30th, 09, 10:09 PM
Senior Tech
Pat

Re: Opinion on my wheels

go to a tire calculator and plug in some different sizes so you can see the sidewall height etc that may help with filling up the wheel well.The wheels dont look bad...kind of remind me of the old American Racing wheels like the Gen. Lee had on it in the Dukes of Hazzard. I had a set on my camaro back in the 80's but the inner part of it was blacked out and only the "turbine" part of them was silver...I liked them they were pretty cool looking,especially for the time!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 30th, 09, 11:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Wow, you are actually running 275 in the front. I didn't think that would fit. Are you sure you can turn lock-to-lock with bumping anything? If you want to change the front tire to a 245 then the middle number would have be 45 in order to keep the same sidewall as on the rear tire. FYI, the first number is the width of the tire in mm while the second number represents the height of the sidewall as a percentage of the first number. So 275/40 tire is 275 mm wide with a 110 mm sidewall (275x.40=110). If you are thinking about going to 245 tire upfront than 245/45 tire would get you a 110.25 mm sidewall and that would match your rear sidewall.

Regarding the rear...
8 inch gap between the fender lip and tire with 17 inch wheels on there just doesn't sound right. What is your current shock and spring setup back there? Several ways to lower the rear. One would be to go with lowering leaf springs. Another way is to use lowering blocks. I used lowering springs on my 68. Checkout my signature pic/link. The pictures on top are before I lowered the car, while the pictures on the bottom are after I lowered the car. I am running 18 inch wheels, 275/40 in the rear and 225/45 in the front. Before I lowered that car I ran airshocks that really had my *** high but never had a 8 inch gap…

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zlek131; May 30th, 09 at 11:42 PM.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 30th, 09, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I think the 8 inch gap is because there is no weight. Its all sheet metal and frame right now. No shocks, its sitting on 5 leafs in the back and in the front i have a 2x4 and a deck board 1x6? sitting between the frame and the lower a-arm. Its looking like 275/50/17 (27.8 inches overall diameter) for the rear and 245/45/17 (25.7 inches diameter)in the front.

If i lift the car and let the front suspension drop all the way the wheel hits the upper a-arm when turning it. I am going with the sc&c adjustable upper a-arms to avoid that but the suspension should never really drop that far.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 30th, 09, 11:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

I see...that would do for the big gap in the rear. Just keep in mind that if you go with 275/50 in the rear, that will give you 137.5 mm sidewall. 245/45 will give you 110.25 mm sidewall in the front. That's a big of difference between the rear/front sidewall, a little over an inch...

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 31st, 09, 06:34 AM
Senior Tech

STOP! Read this before you do anything. http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/sho...ighlight=tyler
You need to do something with the rear ride height before you do anything with tires. You will NEVER close that gap with a taller tire. Don't forget for ever 1" of tire height you add you only close the gap in the fenderwell a 1/2" but you're raising the rear of the car another 1/2" off the ground. A 17x9 is a tuff fit in the front but you can get it work with some patience. In the rear you should be fine with a 275/40. Get the ride height correct in the rear and then center the rim/tire combo you have and order the size adapter you need. In the front it will be more difficult but if you drop down to a 245 tire you will get it to work. Read that thread. Tyler (formerly from ATS) knows what he's doing and he's done most of the work for you. Good luck - you will get it all worked out.

Jack

Last edited by JV69z/28rs; May 31st, 09 at 06:52 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 31st, 09, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

So what you are saying is the time is not right to worry about wheels and tires.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 31st, 09, 04:32 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satatic View Post
So what you are saying is the time is not right to worry about wheels and tires.
If you're refering to me what I'm saying is you CAN get the 17x9s to work. The 275/40 tire will work in the rear and you should be able to get a 245 to work in the front. By the time you are done you should end up buying 4 adapters and 2 tires. 1st you need to get the ride height then you can figure out what size adapters you will need. You need to check the backspace on those wheels. After you do that you will need to get an adapter to give you the backspace you need to get the wheel/tire combination where it needs to be inside the wheel well. I'm guessing you will wind up with adapters that are somewhere between 1.75" and 2.25" but that's just a guess.

Jack
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 31st, 09, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Yeah i actually have 1.7 inch on the front. The rear the adapter is just for looks. i got lots of room back there. I Just wanted something in the rear to fill in the area i have about 3 inch gap all the way around right now but the front fits nice in the wheel well. I figure that if i went with the sizes that fill the wheel well i can always lower the rear with blocks 1 inch or so. But i will just wait and see because maybe with an engine and interior and all that it might already be low.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode