Best method to sand/polish scuffed Mags - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 09, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
David

Best method to sand/polish scuffed Mags

I recently aquired some slot mags for my 68. I have always loved these wheels and I got a great deal on them, but they have some scratches and it looks like someone put them on a tire changer face down .

Do any of you guys know the best method to remove these scratches, gouges and polish the wheels? Is there a specific type of sandpaper or would sandpaper even work?

Thanks again for any assistance,

David

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 09, 12:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: Best method to sand/polish scuffed Mags

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffgeek View Post
... Is there a specific type of sandpaper or would sandpaper even work?

Thanks again for any assistance,

David

Sure, sand paper works great for removing the bigger pits and scratches - you want to use a 'wet-dry' automotive type with a good backing material

I usually start with something @220~320 to get them smoothed out and remove the 'age' from them if they are pretty rough.
Then go to @400 - then @600 - then judge the surface and go to @1000~1200 until you have it all smoothed out.

Then start your mechanical polishing - I sometimes start with a 'Brown" tripoli if there is quite a bit of dullness and age still or go right to a 'Red" (Rouge) polish if the last sanding left a pretty good surface to shine up.
I use cotton wheels on my drills and air-tools for this step. Again, depending on the amount of work needed to bring up the shine and size of the pieces.

Next step is to use a Mother's "Power Ball" (or you can use the soft-cotton 'puffs' and 'cones' found at many car swap meets) and either Mother's 'Billet", Eagle !'s 'Nano' or any of the other popular paste aluminum/metal polishes you can get at auto paint and supply stores.
Use this polish on the Power-Ball to go over the whole wheel and you will be amazed at how good it will start to look (truthfully, better than most of them look 'new' ) ...
I really don't use the Power-Ball for much other than this type of work and have really been impressed with how well they work and last

Last step is really easy - go to the store (or you wifes baking supplies) and get "Corn Starch" - yes the regular old stuff sold in stores.
Pour a small amount on a VERY CLEAN - NEW soft rag (the 'Micro-fiber" ones work great) and wipe the whole wheel with it - re-loading the rag with new powder as you work.
This last step picks up all the micrscopic 'black' aluminum dust out of the pores of the metal and really make s the wheels "Bling"

You will need to work with Gloves, Safety Glasses and a Mask to protect yourself - things will get messy FAST !!!
Oh, wear 'old' clothes you don't mind throwing away when do with the work - your wife (or ??? ) will NOT appreciate you throwin' your things into the wash and turning Everything 'black'

Hope this helps and other chime in with their processes.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 09, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
David

Re: Best method to sand/polish scuffed Mags

This is exactly the info I was looking for! Thanks again so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode