My 18's Finally!! - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 09, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

My 18's Finally!!

Finally got the front wheels, I think 11-12 weeks so long I forget. Anyway went with the hopsters, I like the retro look to them and I got the rear wheels for a lot less than the dealer paid for them ( his loss). They were ordered with the wrong backspace and because I have a Ford 9" and Moser Chevy bolt pattern axels they work for me and have a nice deep stepped lip. I sold my old 15" TT2s which needed rubber to help finance the new tire and wheel combo.

Hard to get custom wheels around here and was getting a little worried reading past posts about American Racing. My old TT2s weremade in the USA and were really nice wheels. The backspacing on the fronts was a litle light and would rub. The new wheels don't rub anywhere at all. One wheel took 1.5 oz. to balance, one 3/4 of an oz. one a 1/2 oz. and one required no weights at all. I think the tires also play more of a role on balacing the wheel than people think.

18x10 with 4.75" bacspace. Nitto 555 275/40/18. Ford 9" with Chevy b.p. axels.
18x8 with 5" backspace. Nitto 555 245/40/18

Track tires

Old 15x8 TT2s with 255\60\15 and 235/60/15. Front 4.25 b/s rubbed. Rear 3.5" b/s no rubs.

John

69 Coupe: Forged Hydraulic Roller 383, Holley HP 750 DP, AFR195s, RPM Air Gap, Borg Warner T-56, Hooker Super Comp 1.75", Ford 9" with custom Moser axels, 3.89 Posi, MSD digital 6, Hotchkis springs, 4WDB, [email protected] on bald Nitto 555's

Last edited by johnny5; Jun 15th, 09 at 03:56 PM. Reason: add info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 09, 01:21 PM
Senior Tech
Jeoffery J

Thumbs up Re: My 18's Finally!!

John,
They look awsome...!!! When you put the 2 pics next to each other you tend to think
"what was I thinking with those 15's"..!! The 18's look great, I love the color of your car too..!! One of many colors I wouldn't choose but when you see it on a car your like dam that looks sweet.
Question for you, I see the rears are 10" did you mini tub her?? I thought you could only run 9.5" on the rear.
Thanks, Jeoff J.

Jeoff J.
Buffalo , NY...Brrrr

MY RIDE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

project "semi precious metal"
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 09, 01:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Re: My 18's Finally!!

I like!

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 09, 02:36 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Sweet!!!

1967 RS convert 88,000 original miles numbers matching 327 powerglide
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 09, 02:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

also forgot to mention...make sure you add the pics, sizes and any (or not) rubbing issues to the 69 wheels/tires thread...
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=153274

Matt

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 09, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboy7 View Post
John,
They look awsome...!!! When you put the 2 pics next to each other you tend to think
"what was I thinking with those 15's"..!! The 18's look great, I love the color of your car too..!! One of many colors I wouldn't choose but when you see it on a car your like dam that looks sweet.
Question for you, I see the rears are 10" did you mini tub her?? I thought you could only run 9.5" on the rear.
Thanks, Jeoff J.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlek131 View Post
also forgot to mention...make sure you add the pics, sizes and any (or not) rubbing issues to the 69 wheels/tires thread...
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=153274

Thanks Matt, I think that thread is locked maybe DJD can add it for me.

As far as the 10 inch wheels go I have plenty of room the passenger side has the original 1/4 and the driver side has a patch panel. The floors and pan are all original and solid. The passenger side was already rolled and I rolled the driver side myself. The 10s sure do fill out the wheel wells I don't know if there would be that much or a noticeable difference between 9.5 and 10" rims. I would have went either or but the 10s were available and I got the chance to test fit them before buying otherwise I'd be pretty nervous.

John

69 Coupe: Forged Hydraulic Roller 383, Holley HP 750 DP, AFR195s, RPM Air Gap, Borg Warner T-56, Hooker Super Comp 1.75", Ford 9" with custom Moser axels, 3.89 Posi, MSD digital 6, Hotchkis springs, 4WDB, [email protected] on bald Nitto 555's
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 09, 08:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Oh, didn't realize the thread was locked. Let's see what the admins say...

Question...So what is the visual difference between a 9 inch wheel with 275/40/18 tire (what I'm running) and a 10 inch wheel with same (275/40/18) tire? Do I simply have more rubber "roll" on the side????

Matt

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 09, 10:40 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Those look absolutely bad a$$ on there. Very beautiful car you have.

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 09, 12:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Hey John the wheels look great.Where are you located? did I ask you that already? Merritt?

Grandma, 69.5, Z/28 Finally Done! Well almost...

My Build Thread

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 09, 05:52 AM
Senior Tech

Looks great! I personlly love AR Hopsters on a first gen Camaro.

1969 Camaro Convertible SS Replica
Blue/black, ZZ4, M-20, 12-bolt posi
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 09, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Thanks for all the nice coments guys. I'm in Maple Ridge BC

Matt, I think you will have a little more buldge with a 9" wheel, but it doesn't look like you have much buldge to begin with.
I believe most of the 274/40/18 tires have a design rim of 9.5". So anywhere from 9-10 inches is good, with a 10 inch rim the tires are more square with no buldge.

The Legends looks great. I looked at them but they didn't have the backspace that I required plus I really like the look of aluminum (if you don't mind giving them a polish once and a while.) They really are not that hard to keep clean if you only drive in fair weather.

John

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 09, 07:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny5 View Post
Thanks for all the nice coments guys. I'm in Maple Ridge BC

Matt, I think you will have a little more buldge with a 9" wheel, but it doesn't look like you have much buldge to begin with.
I believe most of the 274/40/18 tires have a design rim of 9.5". So anywhere from 9-10 inches is good, with a 10 inch rim the tires are more square with no buldge.

The Legends looks great. I looked at them but they didn't have the backspace that I required plus I really like the look of aluminum (if you don't mind giving them a polish once and a while.) They really are not that hard to keep clean if you only drive in fair weather.
That makes sense and in-line with what I was thinking...I think my "bulge" or "roll" is less showing as the Nitto tires are designed to have a more "square" look than most other tires. That's what Jon (Driverz inc) told me when I bought them. He also mentioned that 275 is the biggest tire you want to mount on a 9 inch wheel which would agree with what you mentioned on the sizing. Anyway, chrome or polished - I think both look awesome especially at 18's.

Matt

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 09, 07:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Looks good!!
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 09, 09:25 PM
Senior Tech

Great choise on your car. The wheels compliment it well. Enjoy!

Jack
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 09, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John

Not Crazy about Photobucket. Not quite sure what happened to the first pic in the post. I can't even upload it again. Oh well here is a different shot similar to the first in case you missed it.

Anyone interested in a shot looking at the width of the wheels from the rear, I can post it.

John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode