Front tires rubbing - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 09, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Barry J

Garage
Front tires rubbing

I have a 67 Camaro, I have up front.. Progressive Rims (Pro 64) with BF Goodrich Radial TA P185/70SR14....And on the back P245/60SR14.
I remember That I had to put smaller tires on the front because od the rub...now it's time for new tires up front, because they are worn on the outside edges.
I wanted to put a little wider tire up front so that it would look better. So, I tried my P245/60SR14 tires up front.
The drivers side looked like it would not rub...but the passenger side rubbed without driving, just turning the wheel back and forth...It rubs in the back, as the tire goes into the wheelwell.
Why would I rub only on one side????
and any suggestions on tire sizes???
I would post pics but did not find that option in my post.
Thanks
Barry

"Kids in backseats dont cause accidents.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..accidents in backseats cause kids!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 09, 05:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Re: Front tires rubbing

Barry,

In my experience with first gen's you can usually get more tire on the front of a 1969 vs a 1967 or 1968 and more tire in the back of a 1967 & 1968 vs a 1969. That being said I ran stock 14x6 Rally's w/ P245/60/R14 on the front of my first 1969 Camaro and they did not rub. If I'm not mistaken the original equipment size on your 1967 Camaro may have been E78x14 or probably F78x14. In a radial size that comes out to be P195/75R14 which was OE by GM for many years once radial tires came into play in the 1970's. Some may have had P205/75/R14's. But the 195's were much more common. FWIW in 1969 Chevy also put larger tires on teh front of a Z28 and that trend continued in 1970 albeit the 1970 Z28 is a completely different car.

Remember these first gen cars were designed & built over 40 years ago. the tolerances were much looser. On both my 1969's there was a bit more lean on passenger side by like a 1/2 inch - 3/4 inch. That was the case 20 years ago and it is today.

The + series equivalent of an F78x14 is P225/60/R14....Here's a helpful link http://www.turbinecar.com/tires.htm On your 1967 you can try P235's but I would go w/ P225/60/R14's. If you wanted to go w/ P215/65/R15 that was OE on many GM cars during the 1980's & early 1990's including Camaro's and that will also clear just fine.

Stick w/ P225/60/R14's in the front. I hope this info helps you out. Good Luck & Happy Motoring!

SSG&H

1) 1969 Camaro RS 396 TH 400, 12 bolt 3:73 sold 1994
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2) 1984 Z28, 5.0 H.O. T-Tops, G92 3:73, sold 1994
3) 1988 5.7L IROC-Z, sold 1994
4) 1969 Camaro bought 2006, back on the road in 2010
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 09, 08:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Sounds like it may be a backspacing issue. Perhaps too much backspace hence the tire is fitting too deep into the well. Have you tried a 1/8 or 1/4 inch spacer to shim the wheel out and see if that resolves the issue? Seen some run 245 successfully on the front but others have reported issues with rubbing and rim making contact with outer tie rod on lock to lock turns. As to why only one side rubs...It could be related to front clip not being perfectly centered. Measure the horizontal gap between end of outer tire and beginning of fender lip and see if it's exactly the same on both sides.

Matt

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 09, 10:20 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Barry, on my 67 my 235 60r 15 rub on the drivers side only. Both sides rub on the frame rails when turned all the way. I am useing rally wheels at the moment. Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode