New 18" Boss 338 Wheels on my '67 - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 09, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Brian

New 18" Boss 338 Wheels on my '67

I have been running a set of Polished 17" American Racing Torq-Thrust II's for about 2 years after swapping the rallys that came with the car when I bought it. I love the Torq-Thrusts, primarily because they were cheap and they look great, but I hate the fact that everyone has them. I was running 17x8 front with a 5" BS and 17x9.5 rear with a 5.5" BS. My car is lowered using the Hotchkis rear Leafs and a 1" lowering block, and the Hotchkis front coils with about 3/4 of a coil removed. Here is what the car looked like:

Well my friend works for one of the local Boss Motorsports warehouses and suggested I consider the Boss 338 for my Camaro. I finally caved and bought a set of the 338's in the grey center in 18x8 front with 4" BS and 18x9.5 rear in a 5" BS. The kicker is that he got me a complete set of rims with 235/35 and 275/40 Nitto tires for about $750 less (his cost) than I paid for my complete set of Torq-Thrusts with tires (that includes a fifth matching spare). So, at the fear of other people making these popoular, I am posting pics of what the car looks like now. Some will probably still like the Torq-Thrusts, but as a younger generation owner of a classic muscle car I love the modern look of these in a flat -ip design. They also stick out a bit more than the TTII's but are flush with fenders which makes the car look more aggressive. The pics don't really do the wheels justice, they look much better in person as the finish is very metallic. Now I am on to doing the big brake kit...

1967 Camaro SS
350/ 4-Speed
Lemans Blue/ Black Bumblebee
Black Interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 09, 05:32 PM
Team Member
John

Re: New 18" Boss 338 Wheels on my '67

Looks sweet

1969 Camaro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 09, 07:17 PM
Tech Team

I have always liked these wheels since they came out. I was unsure whether the backspacing would work on a 67 that was lowered. Other than the hotchkis springs have you done any other changes? Love the look of your car

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 09, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Brian

I was worried about the offset too, but I figured the wheels had enough material on the rear of the hub to machine about 1/4" down if need be. Actually the positive offset makes the wheel package more aggressive looking, but if I went any lower I would probably catch the wheel trim (although the Hotchkis set up is pretty stiff).

When I bought the car it was just a nicely restored '67 SS 350 clone with standard black interior about 2-1/2 years ago. I liked the color, the cowl hood and the front and rear spoilers.The good thing about it was it had a 350 4-bolt main block, roller rockers on a nicely sounding cam with 2.02 heads, a 4-speed and 12-bolt posi, but no power steering or brakes. It now has power steering with a quick ratio box, a CPP power front disc conversion kit and has front and rear Hotchkis sway bars in addition to the springs. I also did new KYB shocks front and rear, Autometer Phantom gauges, a Be Cool aluminum radiator with electric fan and a full stereo system with Alpine deck and Infinity speakers. Like I said, the last things I plan to do is the big brake kit front and rear, probably the CPP kit, maybe next year a set of CPP tubular A-arms in black, and probably some Hotchkis subframe connectors in the future.

1967 Camaro SS
350/ 4-Speed
Black Interior
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 09, 09:27 PM
Senior Tech

I love grey centered wheels on blue cars and the flat lips look great. Nice job!

Jack
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 09, 08:39 PM
Tech Team

I picked up a set of these wheels today in 18x8 and 18x9.5 but Black Centers from a vendor in Columbus Ohio. He has great prices and is very helpful and easy to deal with. If you want information his website is jdwheels.com. If I ever get the car ready I will post pictures
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 09, 11:34 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

What a huge diffence in the attitude of your car now. Very good choice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 09, 11:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Garage

Wow that really looks great.

Jeff

- 400 Dart Little"M", SRP 10.2:1, 4340 Scat rotating Assy, Solid Roller, AFR 210 Eliminators, Jesel shaft rockers,Super vic, Prosystems 847CFM, Tko600, 12 bolt 4:10 Eaton posi W/ Strange Hy-Tuf race axles and eliminators.
Best E.T. (11.96 @ 118.06) N/A

Classic Copper 4 Spd

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 09, 02:01 PM
Tech Team
jeremy

18x8 front with 4" BS and 18x9.5 rear in a 5" BS. are you sure that is the back spacing on the front, i have the same front disk brake kit as you and was wondering if i could run a 8 inch wide rim up front with a 4.5 bs, it looks like i can and tuck inside the fender alil more than you
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 09, 04:52 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

I lov'em !!!

1967 RS convert 88,000 original miles numbers matching 327 powerglide
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 09, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Brian

Front wheels are 4.517" BS and rear are 5.031" BS.

Hugger, get some pics up when you get them on...

1967 Camaro SS
350/ 4-Speed
Black Interior
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 09, 05:22 AM
Senior Tech

Looks good, I like the wheel lip. Wish you lived closer so I could buy your old TT II wheels & tires!

1969 Camaro Convertible SS Replica
Blue/black, ZZ4, M-20, 12-bolt posi
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 09, 10:13 AM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Thumbs up Much better...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slck6t9 View Post
What a huge diffence in the attitude of your car now. Very good choice.
+1,000,000,000...HUGE improvement,fricking night & day difference.
I have never understood the shiny wheel look,sell those TTII's and don't look back man...

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 09, 02:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Looks awesome! I was just about to go another route when I saw your Camaro. Also, I followed the link Hugger67 provided and spoke with Jeff and Kim there. They're awesome and real easy to work with. I went with black 18x8 (upgrading from 15x7) all around. Black wheels should work well with my butternut paint & black top.

'67 383
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 09, 03:22 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

Very nice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode