67 15 inch wheel and tire size and backspace help please - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 09, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

67 15 inch wheel and tire size and backspace help please

Well after what seems a lifetime of searching a for a wheels and tires to buy I have finally made up my mind. The 67 is sitting at Ramairdaves shop waiting for paint. We talked about bolting up some rollers they have which are 15 inch Torque Thrust D's. They are 15x7 and have a BFG 235/60/15's on them.

After seeing 17 inch wheels and wanting them I have decided that 15 inch and BFG's are what I really want, they just have that classic look to them.

Here are some possible combos I am looking at. Let me know what you know works or what your running and your opinions on the wheels. I like the T70R myself but the D's just look awsome!!

On the front I am thinking of running this combo:
The torque thrust D wheel is 15x7 with a 3.76 inch back space.

The torque thrust orginal or TTO wheel is 15x7 with a 4.24 inch back space.

American T70R 15X7 with a 4 inch back space.

The BFG 235/60/15 secs out at tread width of 9.5 inchs on a 7 inch wheel and is 26.1 inchs tall

For the Rear:
The torque thrust D wheel is 15x8 with a 3.77 inch back space.

The torque thrust orginal or TTO wheel is 15x8.5 with a 5.69 inch back space(only other choice for this wheel is to go down to a 7 for the same back space for the front)

American T70R 15X8 with a 4.03 inch back space.

I have a few choices in mind:

The BFG 255/60/15 secs out at tread width of 10.2 inchs on a 7.5 inch wheel and is 26.8 inchs tall

The BFG 275/60/15 secs out at tread width of 11 inchs on a 8 inch wheel and is 28 inchs tall

Here are pictures of the wheels.

Torque Thrust D

TTO

T70R

The 67 at a Daves shop with the Torque thrust D's on with 15x7 and 235/60/15 tires front and rear. As a note the car does not have anything in it at all except a 327 and trans so it's sitting high. I have hotchkiss rear springs for it and it has QA1 coil overs installed on the front with stock upper and lower control arms. Don't pay attention to that paint on the hood, it's going away!!

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 09, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Re: 67 15 inch wheel and tire size and backspace help please

The only other option I did not post was Vintage wheels works

15x7 with 3 7/8 back space wich is very close to 4 inch and the 15x8 with the same back space.

here is the vintage 45

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 09, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

ohh by the way just for the info what ever choice i make will not run the wheels center caps. I will run no caps or blank plates. Got a PM about that one.......

The stinger hood is a home made metal and glass one made from a stock flat hood. not as nice as most but it was worth a try and I have less than $300 into it for the entire job, it also takes stock hood springs and looks stock whe open it up.

-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line

Last edited by Joe Harrison; Jun 21st, 09 at 11:05 AM.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 09, 02:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Garage

Looking good Joe. I know what ya mean about trying to decide what wheels to buy.
I do like the torque thrusts d's.

I am sticking with 15 also, I think I am going to pull the trigger on Billet Specialties street lites. 15x8 4.5bs for the rear and 15x7 4.5bs on the front. I am going to use my tires 255 60r15 rear and 235 60r15 front.

I like the hood what are you changing on it? the black?

Jeff

- 400 Dart Little"M", SRP 10.2:1, 4340 Scat rotating Assy, Solid Roller, AFR 210 Eliminators, Jesel shaft rockers,Super vic, Prosystems 847CFM, Tko600, 12 bolt 4:10 Eaton posi W/ Strange Hy-Tuf race axles and eliminators.
Best E.T. (11.96 @ 118.06) N/A

Classic Copper 4 Spd

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 09, 02:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

I'm sure you'll get some expert opinions soon, Joe. In the meanwhile, here are my thoughts:

Front wheels: From your photos, it looks like you might eventually get into a fender-rubbing situation using the TT-D wheels with their 3.76" backspacing unless you run tires that are narrower than 235/60. The TT-O wheels are available with a deeper 4.24" backspacing, and that extra 0.48" of backspacing might be very helpful for avoiding fender-rub. However, you could be flirting with frame-rub when turning 235/60 tires to full lock with 4.24" backspacing.

Back wheels: If you run TT-O's up front with 4.24" backspacing, then your TT-O sizing options for the back are: 1) Run the exact same size (looks undersized) or 2) Jump all the way up to their 15x8.5 with 5.69" backspacing. That second option doesn't seem very workable to me. With so much backspacing, I imagine that just about any tire might rub on the inside near the frame rails.

I wish that American Racing offered a 15x8 TT-O with 4.24" backspacing or something similar. To my way of thinking, that's a big gap they should cover for us old school guys who are still running stock-width rear differentials and no mini-tubs.
-Jeff
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 09, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdubs View Post
Looking good Joe. I know what ya mean about trying to decide what wheels to buy.
I do like the torque thrusts d's.

I am sticking with 15 also, I think I am going to pull the trigger on Billet Specialties street lites. 15x8 4.5bs for the rear and 15x7 4.5bs on the front. I am going to use my tires 255 60r15 rear and 235 60r15 front.

I like the hood what are you changing on it? the black?
Entire top of the car is going black, witha sigle and much thinner flat black stripe on the cowl part of the hood, basicly as wide as the front opening.

Have you run 15X8 with 4.5 inch back space and the 255/60/15? If so how did it work out. Got any pictures?

-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 09, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
I'm sure you'll get some expert opinions soon, Joe. In the meanwhile, here are my thoughts:

Front wheels: From your photos, it looks like you might eventually get into a fender-rubbing situation using the TT-D wheels with their 3.76" backspacing unless you run tires that are narrower than 235/60. The TT-O wheels are available with a deeper 4.24" backspacing, and that extra 0.48" of backspacing might be very helpful for avoiding fender-rub. However, you could be flirting with frame-rub when turning 235/60 tires to full lock with 4.24" backspacing.

Back wheels: If you run TT-O's up front with 4.24" backspacing, then your TT-O sizing options for the back are: 1) Run the exact same size (looks undersized) or 2) Jump all the way up to their 15x8.5 with 5.69" backspacing. That second option doesn't seem very workable to me. With so much backspacing, I imagine that just about any tire might rub on the inside near the frame rails.

I wish that American Racing offered a 15x8 TT-O with 4.24" backspacing or something similar. To my way of thinking, that's a big gap they should cover for us old school guys who are still running stock-width rear differentials and no mini-tubs.
-Jeff
The TTO is one I put up but that backspace is wierd and your right i don't think it will work. I was thinking a 1 inch spacer to bring it back out????

Running the same size front and rear like you said is going to look undersized.

I am thinking the T70R might be a good all around choice possibly. It might get that tuck under the front fender and allow enough room in the rear for hopefully a 275.....that would be a big wish though. Trick is to find a shop that will let me order and buy wheels/tires and see what fits. That could be very hard though.

-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 09, 09:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

I don't think that one-inch spacers will work safely with those 15x8.5 TT-O wheels.

I agree that the T70R might be a better choice than the TT-O due to the available sizes. You could run 15x7 in the front with 4.0 backspacing and 15x8 in the back with 4.03 backspacing. However, the T70R wheels don't have those five little cast-in flanges that receive the screws for the center-caps. In my humble opinion, those flanges add a lot of personality to the wheels when the center caps are absent or the flat sheet-metal caps are installed. (You mentioned that you plan to use either flat plates or no center caps.)

The TT-2 wheels have more size choices and they can be ordered with custom backspacing but I'm not sure what time and money hits would be involved with the custom sizes. Also, the TT-2's don't have as much vintage "vibe" (just my opinion) as the 1-piece wheels such as the TT-O and the TT-D.

As you know, there are many other wheel manufacturers that make wheels similar to Torq Thrusts. I have spent some time browsing outside of the American Racing site, but I haven't yet found an option that combines the right look with the right sizes.

I guess that the "dream wheels" for my '67 would be TT-O 15x7 up front with 4.25 backspacing and 15x8 in back with 4.25 backspacing. I'll be happy with my rally wheels until I stumble across something like that.

Best of luck with your research, and I hope you'll share some photos and spec's once everything is mounted up.
-Jeff

Last edited by JeffD; Jun 21st, 09 at 10:02 PM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 09, 10:00 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Send a message via AIM to RamAirDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Harrison View Post
ohh by the way just for the info what ever choice i make will not run the wheels center caps. I will run no caps or blank plates. Got a PM about that one.......
Word

I'll turn 'em lock-to-lock to see how close they are or if they rub. I'll also try one of the rears on Chris' 73 on it. Doubt it'll fit and it won't be an accurate trial with the rear sitting so high right now, but might give some sort of reference. Then again, we could always set a SB in the trunk

Driving a #s-matching Z in the rain..... and lovin' it....
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 09, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Well this just got more intresting. The TTO wheel in the polished version comes in different back space options than the painted one? Go figure that one out......

The torque thrust orginal or TTO Polished wheel 15x8.5 is 3.81 vs a 5.69 inch back space for the painted.

The torque thrust orginal or TTO Polished wheel 15x7 with is 3.76 vs a 4.24 inch back space for the painted.

This makes it very close to the "D" which is the same for the 15x7 and 3.77 for the 15x8.5

That could make a differance when it comes to a rub. I hope someone will see this post that has 67-68 with 15x8.5 of eiather wheel and can tell me what size tire they have also.

I never even noticed the tab delte on the T70R wheels.

I will be calling American and see if they can custom make a the TTO or the "D" since it's a 2 piece wheel. I saw on the web site you can order the 200S or daisy style wheel in a custom. I also need to call vintage wheel works and see if they have custom backspaces.

-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 09, 07:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Garage

these are my rally wheels, front:235 60r15, 5x7 4.25bs.
rear:255 60r15, 5x8 4.25bs.
Everything fits great no rubbing.
My 4.5bs rallys fit with no rubbing on rear with 275/60r15 drag radials.

Jeff

- 400 Dart Little"M", SRP 10.2:1, 4340 Scat rotating Assy, Solid Roller, AFR 210 Eliminators, Jesel shaft rockers,Super vic, Prosystems 847CFM, Tko600, 12 bolt 4:10 Eaton posi W/ Strange Hy-Tuf race axles and eliminators.
Best E.T. (11.96 @ 118.06) N/A

Classic Copper 4 Spd

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 09, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

well it looks like a 4.25 inch back space is whats needed at both ends. That fit looks very nice. On your 275/60/15 drag radial is that tire have the same profile as a regular street tire? Do those seem to fit with room to spare in the back? Do you have a picture of how it looks with those back there? Is there reason why you don't run the 275 instead of the 255?

-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line

Last edited by Joe Harrison; Jun 22nd, 09 at 09:21 PM.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 09, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Just had an intresting talk with Vintage Wheel works. They are possibly coming out with a 15x8 with 4.5 inch backspace, problem is not until this time next year or maybe sooner. He did say they should have offered it at first but they replicated what others were selling. He did tell me his 15x7 with 3 7/8 or 3.875 and a 235/60/15 should not be a problem in the front. He told me the 15x8 with 3 7/8 and a 255/60/15 should fit but it could be close.

It was intresting to hear him say that wheels are about the look and that the 4.5 inch back space does not provide that deep dish look that we all like with this style of wheel. He told me that when you put them side by side people will always pick the deeper wheel. They offer the 4.5 inch back space in 16x8 and 17x8.
I have to agree that the deep dish look that the 15 inch wheel provides is why I am going 15 inch on my car, also not to mention I am going with BFG Radial T/A's with the raised white letter, you just can't find that deep dish look and raided white letter on the bigger wheels. Well you can bu then your mini tubbing and spending big $$$ on other stuff also. Something I don't have.......
I guess the lucky thing is the people at vintage are very helpful, I am yet to be able to speak to a person at American.

-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 09, 07:36 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Send a message via AIM to RamAirDave

Driving a #s-matching Z in the rain..... and lovin' it....
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 09, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Found these in 15x7 4.25 back space and 15x8 4.5 back space. They come in black centers, gray centers, chrome and polished is pictured. Wondering what you think of this wheel. I will say one thing Jegs has them cheap!! $140.00 each. I am willing to spend more that's not an issue but if anyone likes them go look there.

-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode