American Racing Wheels - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 09, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
juice

American Racing Wheels

Hello Folks, Could someone tell me if this is the norm from AR? I ordered some Hopster from Les Schwab Tires, (a huge tire outfit in the nortwest) great customer service and an all around great store. I love these people. I was told it will be about six weeks for my wheels to get here. Because of the size and backspacing. 17" 255 and 235 tires, (what alot of guys are running on an 69). I'm at week five today, and a call to AR and was told it will be another six weeks. Maybe they cut staff or make to order like Burger King. A sign of the times. But three months for wheels.. I seen Chip Foose make and install wheels in an hour tv show. What ever happened to good customer service?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 09, 11:35 PM
Senior Tech
Richard

Re: American Racing Wheels

I bought my Hopsters about a year ago from this place, http://www.newstalgiawheel.com. I received them in about a week mounted and balanced with 255/50/17's and 245/45/16's both with 4 3/4 back spacing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 09, 01:29 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

The boat has to sail from China with the wheels.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 09, 09:16 AM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Harrison View Post
The boat has to sail from China with the wheels.
Sad but true...then you have to hope the welds don't leak.

Cancel your order and buy some Vintage Wheel Works V-40's or V-45's and don't look back,american quality built in the US...!
Jon Henson usually has a sale on them,contact him @ www.driverzinc.com

www.vintagewheelworks.com

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 09, 09:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecarjohn View Post
Sad but true...then you have to hope the welds don't leak.

Cancel your order and buy some Vintage Wheel Works V-40's or V-45's and don't look back,american quality built in the US...!
Jon Henson usually has a sale on them,contact him @ www.driverzinc.com

www.vintagewheelworks.com
I second that. Jon is great guy, knows his stuff and certainly hooked me up.

Matt

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 09, 11:18 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

I agree. The V45s are the nicsst 5 spoke out there. They have a real vintage look and are not painted centers. Excellent quality.

I have owned 3 69 Z/28s: Garnet Red 30,000 mi unrestored.
Glacier Blue, documented Canadian Z
Rallye Green purchased new in 1969
1968 Camaro Coupe L30 275 horse. ]
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 09, 12:42 PM
Senior Tech

Thanks for the props you guys.

American Racing is still sorting out a lot of things on their end... there has been a lot of things to overcome with their merger with WheelPros, and, then moving their manufacturing facilities from Kansas City to California, and now with a shortage of outers. It's been one nightmare after the next.

Vintage Wheels Works is still delivering their wheels in about a week in most cases. We're running a 10% off deal over at Pro-touring.com right now, that I'll extend to you. The sale is good until the end of June. And, we mount, balance, and ship sets with tires ready to install. Let me know if we can help.

Jon
Driverz Inc.com
"The Custom Wheel Experts"
1-866-694-5940
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 09, 12:56 PM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Wink And with that...

...the expert has spoken.

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 09, 06:51 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

So Vintage wheels works wheels are made in America!! I thought so.....the little more money required is worth it for the nice wheels and supporting American jobs. I have been looking at American, But I think the made in the USA has sealed the deal for me!!

15x7 in the front with 235/60/15 and 15x8 in the rear with 255/60/15. I would hope to squeeze a 275/60/15 back there but I don't think I can. Vintage is coming out with a 4.5 inch back space 40's and 45's next year around this time. I think the old 3 7/8 back space 15x8 will be easy to sell so I can increase the foot print in the rear!!

Joe

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 09, 07:11 PM
Senior Tech
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Jon View Post
Thanks for the props you guys.

American Racing is still sorting out a lot of things on their end... there has been a lot of things to overcome with their merger with WheelPros, and, then moving their manufacturing facilities from Kansas City to California, and now with a shortage of outers. It's been one nightmare after the next. .
I got my Hopsters in 11- 12 weeks. My old Torq Thrusts IIs were made in the USA. My new wheels don't say where they were made. Foose are made in China as are Coys and if you don't trust anything from China I would suggest you don't travel over any bridges any time soon. Why do they have a manufacturing facilitiy in Ca? I'm not sure how much if any of the parts are from overseas. AR is a pretty big company with many different lines such as Boyds and Weld .

Anyway, very happy with my wheels, they still have a retro look even if they are 18s

John

69 Coupe: Forged Hydraulic Roller 383, Holley HP 750 DP, AFR195s, RPM Air Gap, Borg Warner T-56, Hooker Super Comp 1.75", Ford 9" with custom Moser axels, 3.89 Posi, MSD digital 6, Hotchkis springs, 4WDB, [email protected] on bald Nitto 555's
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 09, 08:02 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny5 View Post
I got my Hopsters in 11- 12 weeks. My old Torq Thrusts IIs were made in the USA. My new wheels don't say where they were made. Foose are made in China as are Coys and if you don't trust anything from China I would suggest you don't travel over any bridges any time soon. Why do they have a manufacturing facilitiy in Ca? I'm not sure how much if any of the parts are from overseas. AR is a pretty big company with many different lines such as Boyds and Weld .

Anyway, very happy with my wheels, they still have a retro look even if they are 18s

I personally love the look of AR Hopsters on a 69 Camaro!

1969 Camaro Convertible SS Replica
Blue/black, ZZ4, M-20, 12-bolt posi
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 09, 12:26 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

It's not a matter of being afraid of stuff made in China for me......it's a matter of I can support American jobs and buy an American a product that is just as nice or better. I can also get customer service that is very good also. I have called American over the last few days and I can't get a human on the phone and waited on hold for 10 minutes or more. Vintage was right on it for anything I needed to know and being made in America sold me on my choice. Americans lack of customer service had me on the fence anyway and other posts of poor quality and long wait times for custom made wheels was another.

-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 09, 10:13 AM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Harrison View Post
It's not a matter of being afraid of stuff made in China for me......it's a matter of I can support American jobs and buy an American a product that is just as nice or better. I can also get customer service that is very good also. I have called American over the last few days and I can't get a human on the phone and waited on hold for 10 minutes or more. Vintage was right on it for anything I needed to know and being made in America sold me on my choice. Americans lack of customer service had me on the fence anyway and other posts of poor quality and long wait times for custom made wheels was another.
That says everything right there...

Why would I want to buy something from China that everyone else and their mother has when I can get a product that was forged and assembled in So Cal from people who are truly knowledgeable and stand behind their product...for the same price or maybe a little more?

Try balancing an American Racing wheel and a VWW wheel and see what kind of weights are required.I've seen both brands spin @ 7,000 rpm on a chassis dyno and let me tell you...it's pretty evident right there which one you'd rather have on your classic American musclecar.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 09, 03:49 PM
Senior Tech
John

I don't disagree with trying to support your own Country only problem is that there are not too many if any custom wheel builders this side of the border.

One day I'll have a set of 18/19 Rushforths and an LS7 and T-56 but for now these will do since my car is far from Pro-Touring. They still must support some American jobs since I believe they were polished in Ca. also not sure if the custom shop wheels are from overseas. I liked my old made in the USA TT2s and decided to do a different style.I got all 4 wheels for just over $ 1500 Can. which is at least $1300 US less than a set of Rushforths. They only took 1.5, 3/4 and 1/2 oz. to balance and one wheel required no weights at all.

So until the kids are out of the house and I have more $ to spend on the toy these wheels and tires update the look and performance and I'm Happy with tham for now.

I'm sure that will change one day, I know you yourself have had at least 3 different sets of wheels on your car John. If the VWW 18s were ready I may have went that route as well.

John

69 Coupe: Forged Hydraulic Roller 383, Holley HP 750 DP, AFR195s, RPM Air Gap, Borg Warner T-56, Hooker Super Comp 1.75", Ford 9" with custom Moser axels, 3.89 Posi, MSD digital 6, Hotchkis springs, 4WDB, [email protected] on bald Nitto 555's
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 09, 04:05 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny5 View Post
I don't disagree with trying to support your own Country only problem is that there are not too many if any custom wheel builders this side of the border.

One day I'll have a set of 18/19 Rushforths and an LS7 and T-56 but for now these will do since my car is far from Pro-Touring. They still must support some American jobs since I believe they were polished in Ca. also not sure if the custom shop wheels are from overseas. I liked my old made in the USA TT2s and decided to do a different style.I got all 4 wheels for just over $ 1500 Can. which is at least $1300 US less than a set of Rushforths. They only took 1.5, 3/4 and 1/2 oz. to balance and one wheel required no weights at all.

So until the kids are out of the house and I have more $ to spend on the toy these wheels and tires update the look and performance and I'm Happy with tham for now.

I'm sure that will change one day, I know you yourself have had at least 3 different sets of wheels on your car John. If the VWW 18s were ready I may have went that route as well.
In these forums things can seem as they are not. I just wanted to let you know I was not disrespecting your wheel choice or where they come from. I think your 69 looks great!! I would have bought those too and belive me I looked at them but they just were not for me and my 67. I think American has gone down hill the last few years in regard to quality and customer service. Maybe they have grown to big, I don't know? Even if the Vintage wheels were made in China or someplace other than the states the guys at Vintage have some great customer service and are very helpful.
I am sad to say I have found that very hard to get from American. I really like the TT "D" and TTO wheels and needed some info on them, when I could not get answers Vintage helped me out and they were even able to help me with the questions I had for American. They were more concerned with my choices fitting my application; selling me wheels was second. It hard to find that these days.......very hard!! They even offered a direct price with shipping I think will be hard to beat.

Joe

-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode