Rim and tire choice HELP - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 09, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Don

Rim and tire choice HELP

Hello all,
I'm trying to pick a set fo rims and tire to fit my 69Z. The more I look at different websites and owners car's the more I'm confused with the sizing. I just recently purchased the car. First off the 14in Western slotted mags and 245 60R/14 rears rub like hell in the drivers side rear with more than 1 person in the car and forget having the whole family! the Rear rub real bad on the driver's side and a little on passengers side. no rub iin front with the 225 60R14. The car has stock ride height and springs (rear springs are new and correct for the car) Any suggestions on rim and tire sizes that won't rub give 4 passengers and stock set up? I like the Crager SS and American Racing torque trust II's.

Thanks, Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 09, 03:58 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: Rim and tire choice HELP

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=153274

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 09, 12:59 PM
Senior Tech
Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donno151 View Post
Hello all,
I'm trying to pick a set fo rims and tire to fit my 69Z. The more I look at different websites and owners car's the more I'm confused with the sizing. I just recently purchased the car. First off the 14in Western slotted mags and 245 60R/14 rears rub like hell in the drivers side rear with more than 1 person in the car and forget having the whole family! the Rear rub real bad on the driver's side and a little on passengers side. no rub iin front with the 225 60R14. The car has stock ride height and springs (rear springs are new and correct for the car) Any suggestions on rim and tire sizes that won't rub give 4 passengers and stock set up? I like the Crager SS and American Racing torque trust II's.

Thanks, Don
You should be running a stock Rally rim if its a 69Z....15 x 7...your choice if your picky and want it correct AD Code if its an early build and YH if its a late build or if your not picky and dont have have a lot of glue ($$) 15 x 7 FW Code are identical...these wheels have the proper backspacing and you could run 245 60's in the rear no problem and 235's up front....good luck in your choice and search.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 09, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Don

I'm not trying to run a period correct with correct #'s, I just like something that won't rub with 4 people in the car and a cooler in the back. Anyone else with a 69 and stock springs out there???
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 09, 11:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

I like to help ya but my rear is modded too much to compare.
you might buy a tire sizing tool to help ya.
they are kinda cheap and youll get the proper fit the first time.
summit has em and i would loan ya mine but someone hasnt returned it yet.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PHP-01201/
you should be able to fit a 15" 60s tire on the rear with no problem as long as you have correct back spacing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 09, 06:33 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Rubbing tires usually means that the tires are too wide or the backspace is putting the tires to far outboard, and close to the body sheet metal. If your car is a real Z and you have the correct springs you should be running at least a 15 inch wheel and tire.
I have owned 3 69 Zs and they sit way lower than other Camaros. 15" Rally wheels will fit well because they have the correct backspace. I had 235 60s on the front and 245 60s on the rear with only the occasional rub on the front right corner when turning into a driveway etc. You can get lots of aftermarket wheels in various backspaces for the Z.
You should do some homework on backspace and tire width here. There is a ton of info already dicussed on this site.

I have owned 3 69 Z/28s: Garnet Red 30,000 mi unrestored.
Glacier Blue, documented Canadian Z
Rallye Green purchased new in 1969
1968 Camaro Coupe L30 275 horse. ]
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 09, 07:56 PM
Ric

coys all the way
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 09, 02:56 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

I have a 69 with 15x7 FW code rallys , 235-60-15 on the front and back with no rubbing issues. Stock suspension. I could go with 245s on the back and still have no problems. The FW is the same as the YH back space. You should be running 15 inch. Please check your back spacing if you buy after market tires and rims. It will be important that you have the correct backspace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode