touchless tire mounting - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 09, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

touchless tire mounting

i just got my new wheels in and they have a sticker on the mounting hub that say these wheels should only be mounted on a touchless tire mounting machine. not many places use a touchless machine and apparently using any other machine will void the warranty. now im pretty sure this is only to avoid scratching but im curious who else has run into this, did you just mount them on a standard machine or find someone with a touchless??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 09, 08:49 AM
Senior Tech

Re: touchless tire mounting

In this day and age of "high end" wheels you shouldn't have a problem finding a touchless machine. Even the older machines have plastic covers that keep the mounting from being metal to metal.

Jack
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 09, 10:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Garage

I mounted mine by hand, a little lube and a buddy helping me they went on pretty easy. The back bead goes right on easy the outer bead is a little harder, we got most of it on then used a small pry bar with a rag on it.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 400 Dart Little"M", SRP 10.2:1, 4340 Scat rotating Assy, Solid Roller, AFR 210 Eliminators, Jesel shaft rockers,Super vic, Prosystems 847CFM, Tko600, 12 bolt 4:10 Eaton posi W/ Strange Hy-Tuf race axles and eliminators.
Best E.T. (11.96 @ 118.06) N/A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Classic Copper 4 Spd

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 09, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

i thought about mounting by hand but the side walls are waaay to stiff.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 09, 12:17 PM

Find someone that is runflat certified if the can do runflat tires they can do yours without damaging the wheels
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 09, 07:26 PM
Senior Tech

I'd recommend finding a tire shop that has a road force balancer as well. A lot of places don't. This is the balancer that pushes a roller against the tire as it spins it. It identifies problems with the tire mount that can easily be fixed by turning the tire 180 degrees and rebalancing again without using a lot of weights. Whatever you do, find a good place, preferably an independent store not a chain. I normally drive 50 miles to my tire place of choice. Last time I decided to give the local large chain store a try. ( Hint, they may brag about a "Discount" ). They put two 1/4 inch divits on the inside of my aluminum rims. They told me that the mounting machine has to grab the rim somewhere. Never again. Pay the extra for the good shop even if its an inconvenience to get there.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 09, 08:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

At least by me, most all modern shops, including Wal-mart, have "no touch" mounting machines.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 09, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

well i called a couple tire shops today and no one had this machine and recommended i call discount tire. when i called discount tire he said he had never heard of the machine and said they only use the clamp style
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 09, 03:10 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Call your local shop equipment retailer and ask him/her what store has bought the machine you're talking about.

As a last resort, call either a GM dealer, Corvette wheels are the same, or your BMW dealer for independent retailer.

Might do a locator at www.tirerack.com

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 09, 04:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

what kind of rims and tires did you buy?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 09, 06:55 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

"No Touch" isn't necessarly in every machines advertising brochure so the shops you are calling may have just not heard the term... Ask what they use to mount modern alum wheels without damaging them and maybe try asking for the machine brand and model when you call, then get online and google it...

Where are you located and what shops have you called?

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 09, 07:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

What Dennis said... The old machine clamped the wheel down, and spun an arm to push the bead down, the arm was removeable and did rub the rim of the wheel.

The modern machines have a giant clamp that comes down from above and pushes the tire down, and then they spin the rim. These do not touch the edge of the rim.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 09, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

i live about 30 minutes south of dallas and ft worth. the wheels are billet specialties street lites. the problem is that everyone uses the style that clamps to the inside of the wheel i think what i really need to find is a shop that uses a euro machine that clamps to the front lip and mounts the tire from the back side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode