275/40R17's in Rear are Rubbing - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 09, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jonny

275/40R17's in Rear are Rubbing

Not sure of my current rim backspace but it's very tight on both sides of the tire.

Outside of the tires are rubbing the inside of the wheel opening molding during suspension travel (straight up and down).

Inside of the tires are rubbing the tubs during slow turns over speed bumps, driveways, etc. (axle tilt).

Anyone else have this problem? Wondering how I solve without limiting the suspension travel. My tires are getting pretty chewed up! Yikes!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 09, 09:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Re: 275/40R17's in Rear are Rubbing

Johnny what year any lowering done and do you have any pics.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 09, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jonny

Hi Skeeter,

69. Yes, should have mentioned the lowering. Not sure exactly how much as it was done before I got the vehicle. I'd estimate 2" drop using drop shackles on the leaf springs. The car sits level as shown in my profile pic.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 09, 10:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Nice ride and puppy... I also have a 69 with 1.5 lowering leafs from Hotchkis, but i am running 285/40/18 with a stock 12-bolt and drum brakes... My rims are 18x9.5 with 5.5 back space and it also rubs very little. But we did trim the outer wheel well before paint and rolled the wheel molding. Next set of tires for me will be 275/40/18...

I would measure your back space to get a better idea, also if you have soft rear suspension may contribute to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 09, 10:17 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beerboy View Post
Wondering how I solve without limiting the suspension travel. My tires are getting pretty chewed up! Yikes!

Smaller tires, possibly?

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 09, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jonny

Trimming would have been the way to go before paint! It may be time break out the grinder..! I'm also running a stock 12 bolt and drum brake setup. Thx for the info.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 09, 10:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
Trimming would have been the way to go before paint! It may be time break out the grinder..! I'm also running a stock 12 bolt and drum brake setup. Thx for the info.
If you do this do NOT trim past the welds the hold the inner and outer quarters together. But take off the tire first and look at its rubbing location and only trim that area. But you can always get smaller tires to.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 09, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by onovakind67 View Post
Smaller tires, possibly?
I need to measure out my rim width, but how much less wide can I go for tire size on the same rim?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 09, 11:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
I need to measure out my rim width, but how much less wide can I go for tire size on the same rim?
It all depends on the brand of tires..

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 09, 11:53 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

I went with 255/45-17's after trying to fit 275/40's Nitto 555's out back. Here's the comparison;

255/45ZR17 Section Width = 10.08", Height = 25.95
275/40ZR17 Section Width = 11.02", Height = 25.59

Before disc's the 275/40's scrubbed the inner fender fairly hard but didn't touch the outer lip. The 255/45's fit well but still scrubbed the inner fender some. After installing the rear disc's I needed to trim the outer fender lip some, inner scrubbing didn't completely go away.

Every brand tire measures out a bit different...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 09, 12:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Inside of the tires are rubbing the tubs during slow turns over speed bumps, driveways, etc. (axle tilt).
275/40R17's w/rear lowering springs here also and mine rub on the inside slightly - since it only rubs over bumps and hard turns at drives, I live with it.

For the outside - I did break out the die grinder - just take a little at a time, sand the edge smooth and take your time. I am guessing you only need 1/4" or less. If you feather it out, its virtually not visible.

67 new build alum. 406 | 69 RS/SS 496 631 HP / 618 TQ | 73 Z28 Survivor 36k miles | 89 IROC Z 2500 miles | 02 SS 35th Anniv. LE 645 miles |11 SS Berger 550HP (1 of 25) | 14 ZL1 6M Recaros
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 09, 10:56 PM

Please consider coil over, over load shock helper springs to keep her from dropping down and cutting your tires!

I know all about this crap, me w/ my '67 and L-60/14's that actually measure a modern 298/53-14 on a 14" x 9" rim w/ 3.5" BS.

pdq67

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 09, 07:56 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

The lowering "shackels" could be an issue. THe spring is going to tilt more and cause rubbing. YOu could try stock shackels or go global west with delrin bushings to keep them a little firmer and use a lowering block. You can always try stock shackels also. I would try this before cutting on her.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 09, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jonny

Thanks for the great suggestions everyone...! I have a set of stock shackels - I'll give these a try first. Then will break out the die grinder as required on the outside. We'll see how that makes out!

Also, has anyone modified the bump stops to limit travel? I've been running this setup for 4 years now with minimal rubbing, but when I load her up with people and stuff, I get serious rubbing.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 09, 12:34 PM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Show's you these cars are not created equal...normally,a 275/40 rear should be very safe on a 9.5" wide wheel with 5.5" backspacing.I run a 285/40 on this combination w/o issues.

Just for giggles,my car swallowed up a 18x10 rear w/305/35 drag radials I mounted on it this wknd and ate it whole...no fitment issues inside or out.

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode