16' Wheel and Tire Combinations - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 09, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Bill

16' Wheel and Tire Combinations

I have 16'' x 8 1/2" wheels for my 67 Camaro Convertible and am having some remorse. Seems that with this wheel I cannot find a tire that will fill the rear wheel well and not rub on the front. I put 225/55/16 on the front and it rubs on the fender well badly. I have the same on the back and it looks pretty good, although it could be a bit larger.

I am wondering if anyone has found a good combination for the front. I am considering a 215/55/60 or 205/55/16 for the front. Since the wheel is a 8 1/2" wide spec I don't know if the tire will look good on the rim. I think these tires call for a 7" rim. I think that the 215 will fit the rim better, but I am worried that it will rub the front wheel well. I have the Hotchkis 2" lowering springs on the front. BF Goodrich is working with me on this. They are very helpful and I don't want to waste their goodwill.

Any thoughts?

67 RS Convertible Camaro Restification completed August 2009. All original with updated drivetrain -Marina Blue exterior 327 with Proflo2 EFI Tremec 5 speed. Paint and Body by Lanzinis Bodyworks of Huntington Beach. Great fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 09, 08:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: 16' Wheel and Tire Combinations

What is the backspace or offset on your wheels?

I'm afraid that if a 225 tire rubs, you do not have a compatible offset

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 09, 08:48 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

I think your problem on the front is the 8.5" wide wheel and it's backspacing. You should be able to run a 235 on a 7" wheel with 4" back spacing or a 245 on a 8" wheel with 4.75" back spacing.

225/55-16 = 25.7" tall and 9.1" section width
245/55-16 = 25.6" tall and 9.8" section width
225/60-16 = 26.6" tall and 8.9" section width

Compare those sizes to (the most common size to fit the front of a 1st gen) a 235/60-15 @ 26.1" tall and 9.5" section width and with the right wheel and backspacing you shouldn't have a problem finding a front tire...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 09, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Bill

Thanks, DJD for your reply. I will double check the camber for my car. I just got it aligned and gave them a .5degree to one degree spec, but you never know. I did put button bolts in the wheel housings, that helped quite a bit. I do need to raise my car a bit regardless, because my headers drag just getting out of the driveway! They are Hooker competition headers.

As for a supplier, I did find that Classic Industries carries a spring shim that was used by the factory to correct ride height. It fits on the lower part of the spring perfectly and provides about an inch of hight. They also have a thin isolator pad that goes in the top of the spring. This took care of my plight.

Thansk again for the advice.....

67 RS Convertible Camaro Restification completed August 2009. All original with updated drivetrain -Marina Blue exterior 327 with Proflo2 EFI Tremec 5 speed. Paint and Body by Lanzinis Bodyworks of Huntington Beach. Great fun!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 09, 01:43 PM
Senior Tech
Kip

+1 on it being a backspacing issue. I used to run 16x8 wheels with 225x55x16 on the front and 255x50x16 on the back.... no rubbing...
4.25 or 4.5 backspacing (cant remember which)
Car was lowered in front and had GS mod...
I really like 16 in wheels on first gen Camaros... just is a pain to find tires....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode