Opinion on wheels for my 69.... - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 09, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeremy

Cool Opinion on wheels for my 69....

Not sure how to post a pic of my car, but it is in my signature... I am wanting to possibly change to 17's... I am thinking of possibly running AR Hopsters 17X7 in the front and 17X9.5 or possibly C-55 Coy's wheels... I have heard horror stories of Coy's... they look awsome, but customer service is not good. I have a stock suspension, and probably don't want to lower it at all. I like the stock stance with the big block front springs, and the multi leaf rear... I even thought about buying Draglites or Telstars and using my tires, but leaning more towards the more, modern 17 in. Any opinions would be grateful! Thanks.

69 Camaro Finally restored. New 496, 700R4, 3200 stall, 3.90 12 bolt posi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 09, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeremy

Re: Opinion on wheels for my 69....

I forgot to mention that I have stock drums all around, but I am going to add front discs...and probably keep the rear drums and only want polished or chrome. Thanks.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 09, 08:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

If you are switching to 17's because you like the bigger wheel look with less tire sidewall than don't stop at 17's. Go to 18's and never look back. I pondered 17's vs 18's for months and ended up with 18's. Very happy with my decision. See signature for pic...

Matt

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 09, 01:01 PM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Consider www.vintagewheelworks.com and Jon Henson @ www.driverzinc.com for the best fitment advice as well as very competitive pricing...

Something like this...?

Coy's are a nightmare and their b/spacing doesn't really fit our cars too well,VWW will do any custom b/s you want/need.

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 09, 02:09 PM
Senior Tech

Thanks John!

17s are like the new 15", what I call the new "standard". Tire sizes are available for you, so 17s are a slam dunk. American Racing has been hit and miss for the last two years, with the acquisition and merger with companies like Wheel Pros, so expect to wait. Another, faster, more dependable route, would be Vintage Wheel Works, like John suggested, or maybe one of our other wheels like Billet Specialties Legends Series.

Either way we can get you handled. Feel free to call or email anytime for advice. We are here to help, and we've literally fitted up thousands of cars, so benefit from our experience.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeremy

I think I am going to run the AR Hopsters... Jon...Do you handle AR? I also see in Jegs and other websites that they aren't available in 17X9.5" I wonder if you can order them that size... or have to settle for 17X8's? I assume you would have to special order that size directly from them? That would be pricey! OR is there any other company that has wheels very similar to the hopsters? I really haven't seen any... Thanks for all the replies so far...

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 09:03 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Jeremy,
give Jon a call.... you will be glad you did!
he has the right formula for offsets thet work on first gens

I got these this week from him (same wheels as in post above, Apex )..... havent had much of a chance to take many pictures. I will post more when I get a chance.

20+ year old front springs that have been cut to fit 14" wheels years ago seem to make the front too low now
I have new Hotchkis front springs coming to replace this weekend

Pix of my cars...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonc707 View Post
Jeremy,
give Jon a call.... you will be glad you did!
he has the right formula for offsets thet work on first gens

I got these this week from him (same wheels as in post above, Apex )..... havent had much of a chance to take many pictures. I will post more when I get a chance.

20+ year old front springs that have been cut to fit 14" wheels years ago seem to make the front too low now
I have new Hotchkis front springs coming to replace this weekend

Wow... do like those... what kind of wheels are they, and what are the dimensions of the wheels and tires? Thanks.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 09:26 AM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Made by Billet Specialties Apex is the style.
18x8 245/40 front and 18x9 275/40 rear
Call Jon from Driverz for backspacing info and pricing (not as much $$ as I thought)......
http://www.billetspecialties.com/ite...id=257&pid=961

http://www.driverzinc.com/

Pix of my cars...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 11:11 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonc707 View Post
Made by Billet Specialties Apex is the style.
18x8 245/40 front and 18x9 275/40 rear
Call Jon from Driverz for backspacing info and pricing (not as much $$ as I thought)......
http://www.billetspecialties.com/ite...id=257&pid=961

http://www.driverzinc.com/
Thanks for posting those up Brandon!

Yep, those are the Billet Specialtes Apex wheels. VERY nicely polished, and turn around time can still be in the 4-6 week time.

I am more than happy to custom order the Hopsters for you, but yes, custom orders through ARE have been taking some time. Either way, we got you handled. Call anytime: 866-694-5940 and we can talk more about it if you like. I'm more than happy to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode