Polyglas tires are not running clean - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 09, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Polyglas tires are not running clean

I installed reproduction Goodyear Polyglas F70-15 tires a few months ago on a 1969 Z/28 that is mostly stock. The suspension is very fresh and I believe the alignment is good. During each drive on the new Polyglas tires, the bottom half of the car body is getting filthy - like a very fine layer of black coal dust is being deposited on the paint. The dust seems to be distributed evenly at all four corners - it's not any worse in the front than the back. It looks like a transparent haze on top of the paint, but then it leaves black soot on my fingers when I wipe those areas clean with my hand.

At first, I thought it was just the mold-release wearing off the tires or something like that, but things have not improved after 300 miles on them. I have tried raising the tire pressures: 32PSI, 37PSI, 42PSI, and I have also tried driving more gently, but nothing seems to help.

Before switching to the Polyglas tires, I was running an older set of Goodyear Eagle ST radial tires with zero problems. The body stayed nice and clean even when the car was driven aggressively.

At this point, I'm just about ready to remove the Polyglas tires and order up a new set of Radial T/A's, even though I really like the look of the Polyglas tires and I think they handle reasonably well for my needs.

Any suggestions for me before the Polyglas tires come off the car?
-Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 09, 06:06 PM
Tech Team
Dave

Re: Polyglas tires are not running clean

I had the same thing happen on a new set of T/A'S , after a while it dissapated.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 09, 11:15 AM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Nelson View Post
I had the same thing happen on a new set of T/A'S , after a while it dissapated.
That's what I would think too,I have them on my '70Z and never experienced that.

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 09, 10:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gerald

I put the Goodyear Polyglas F70 14's on my Camaro a couple of weeks ago and noticed the same black haze. I have only put about 100 miles on them so I am not sure it they will wear clean or not. I bougth them from Kelly Tires. I really like the looks but it does suffer handling. Think I am going to mount some TA's on my other wheels for longer drives.

Gerald
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 09, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Thanks for sharing your experience, Gerald. I thought I was the only guy going through this. My Polyglas tires were purchased through Kelsey Tire and I have been talking with John Kelsey over the last few weeks about my "dust" problem. He asked me to gather a sample of the stuff on a tissue and send it in to him, which I did. (That was easy - it's everywhere on my car from the top of the wheel-wells on down.) John has already sent the sample in to a lab to see what that black dust is made of, and I will let you know what news I get back from that. John is a great guy to work with, and I encourage you to contact him through kelseytire.com and tell him about your experience. I want John to get as much info about this as possible. -Jeff
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 09, 03:23 AM
Senior Tech

put some radials on a spare set of wheels for daily use, then put the Poly's on for shows and stuff.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 09, 10:51 AM

Smile Re: Polyglas tires are not running clean

It's made of "Carbon Black" b/c that and "Silica" are what are used as fillers in tire rubber!

I mention this b/c St.Louis is a PM2.5 nonattainment area and a couple of the culprits are tire and disc brake pad dust!

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode