Will these 17" wheels/tires fit? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 09, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Will these 17" wheels/tires fit?

O.K. I saw Steiner's post (thank you very much for the info. by the way on these awesome wheels) about the discounttire.com deal pertaining to the MB Motoring Old School Torq Thrust knock-offs and got sucked into buying a set for my '68. I go the gray centers model. If interested go to their website and type in your camaro and you'll see them. They are amazing for the price. My complte pkg. with lug nuts, center caps, balancing, shipping (free) incl. tires is $1,147. Anyway - my question - the guy on the phone sold me on the following pkg. insisting it would fit (they guarantee it by the way and will pay for shipping if doesn't fit).

Anybody out there vouch for this size fitting:

Front - 17 x 8 - 4.5 BS Nitto 555 245/45/17
Rear - 17 x 9.5 - 5.5 BS Nitto 555 275/40/17

My car has multi-leafs in rear w/QA1 shocks. The front has stock A-arms with QA1 adjustable Coil-Over conversion. Disc brakes on all 4s.

Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 09, 02:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
JB

Re: Will these 17" wheels/tires fit?

Bill, although your specs are not exactly the same as mine, they are very similar. However, I have 2" drop Hotchkis springs in the front and 1-1/2" drop Hotchkis leaf springs in the rear. My specs are as follows:

Front - 17 x 8 - 4.75 BS Hankook 235/45/ZR17
Rear - 17 x 9.5 - 5.5 BS Hankook 275/40/ZR17

I'm pretty happy with the fit, although I will get a rub if I hit a significant bump at good speed. They will also bump the subframe if I crank the wheel all the way on a full lock-to-lock turn, but do not otherwise.

Personally, I'm very happy with these wheels and tires and get compliments on them every time I take the car out.

JB

1967 Marina Blue RS Coupe:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 Red Jewel Tintcoat RS Convertible:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1967 Madeira Maroon Coupe (barn find):
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 09, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Thanks for the feedback JB and I actually noticed your car somewhere else which added to the inpiration to purchse these particular wheels (I absolutely couldn't resist). They look awesome on your car! So it's the rear tire that bumps on a a full-on turn? Looks like the main difference on size is my fronts will have 4.5 BS vs. your 4.75 and also a slightly wider/taller tire. That's the one I'm preying will fit.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 09, 05:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

The 245's are kinda big for in front. 235's may rub too, 225's won't. 225's fit best on a 7" wheel, w/4" BS.

Backs will be fine.

Suggestion: If you're putting decent power down, get the 555r drag radials in back. I'm running them this year, and I like em A LOT. WAY better traction then the eagle F1 GSD#'s I used to run. They seem to be lasting pretty well, and I got caught in the rain a few times and they aren't bad there either. Highly recommended.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 09, 07:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
joseph l clance

i run a 245 X17" X8 up front with 4.75 back-spacing. hotchkis 2" drop w/disc. no outer rubs. (but close) had to lengthen the steering bump stops on the lower a arms to keep the inner backside of the front tires from rubbing the frame in max steering ends.

69 X-44 base coupe, ZZ4, 16lb nodular flywheel, Center force DF clutch + PP, Holley 600DP, Hooker super comp 1 3/4 ceramics, 2.5" dual exhaust w/ X-pipe, flowmaster 40 series mufflers.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 09, 08:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68RS-SS View Post
So it's the rear tire that bumps on a a full-on turn?
Bill, no it's actually the front wheels just like Joe describes below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe clance View Post
i run a 245 X17" X8 up front with 4.75 back-spacing. hotchkis 2" drop w/disc. no outer rubs. (but close) had to lengthen the steering bump stops on the lower a arms to keep the inner backside of the front tires from rubbing the frame in max steering ends.
Joe, it sounds like I have the identical problem and a virtually identical setup (except 245's vs. 235's). Can you tell me exactly what you did in lengthening the steering bump stops? I'm sorry to show my ignorance, but I don't know exactly what you mean.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 09, 08:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
joseph l clance

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhjohnb View Post
Bill, no it's actually the front wheels just like Joe describes below.

Joe, it sounds like I have the identical problem and a virtually identical setup (except 245's vs. 235's). Can you tell me exactly what you did in lengthening the steering bump stops? I'm sorry to show my ignorance, but I don't know exactly what you mean.
After g moding the car, i had it aligned aggresively for autox> the lower arms are CPP tubes> the guy at the alignment shop welded a 7/16 X3/4 bolt to the rear tubes of the a-arms (hex head to a-arm) to hit the backside of the spindle early and before the tire hits the frames. He attached a long hex nut in front of a short one to adjust and lock in case any adjustment are needed in the future (maybe fatter tires are in order).

Now i can whip it without concern of binding the inner tire in a sharp turn.

69 X-44 base coupe, ZZ4, 16lb nodular flywheel, Center force DF clutch + PP, Holley 600DP, Hooker super comp 1 3/4 ceramics, 2.5" dual exhaust w/ X-pipe, flowmaster 40 series mufflers.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 09, 07:03 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
JB

Joe, thanks for that clarification. I was thinking I hadn't seen anything like that on my stock control arms.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 09, 07:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

These sizes are pushing the 68 limits for sure. My guess is that fronts will rub. As others have already pointed out, the 245's are on the big side and rubbing issues have been commonly reported. I have 18x7 with 4.25 BS/225x45 with Nitto555 and have no issues. Rears, 9.5 with 275 tire is the max for sure, anything bigger is trouble for sure. I have 18x9 with 5.25 BS/275x40 with Nitto555 on my rear and my driver's side had a slight rub on the inner well. Easy fix as 1/4 spacer moved the wheel out and took care of it. Your 9.5's have a 4.5BS which means your wheel/tires will be even closer to the inner well. They may rub but a 1/4-3/8 spacer should fix it. Based on these numbers, I would worry more about the front than the rear.

Matt

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 09, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
The 245's are kinda big for in front. 235's may rub too, 225's won't. 225's fit best on a 7" wheel, w/4" BS.

Backs will be fine.

Suggestion: If you're putting decent power down, get the 555r drag radials in back. I'm running them this year, and I like em A LOT. WAY better traction then the eagle F1 GSD#'s I used to run. They seem to be lasting pretty well, and I got caught in the rain a few times and they aren't bad there either. Highly recommended.
Thanks for the suggestion Jim - I'll check these out. I have about 430hp at the fly and with my 5spd brake the tires loose pretty easily when I occassionally take the car to dragstrip so would be nice to get some extra traction for sure. Car is primarily street driven so need to compromise. I'll call discount tire back and reduce front tire to 235 vs. the 245. He's certain the 245 will work but sounds like will need to do some modding as mentioned above and would prefer to sacrifice a little width for a direct fit.

Do you all think I should do 4.5 BS up front or 4.75?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 09, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Talked to the person at discount tire again and he's absolutely assures me the 245s will work since I'm going with the the 4.5 back spacing vs. the 4.75. He says he's done it before on our cars w/o any issue so I'm going to trust him on that and worse case scenario is that I'll send them back and have some 235s put on (which they will do for no charge). If it's not too bad I'll add some material to my bump stops like Joe did. So I'll defintely have to let ya'll know how it works out and once it's all said and done will post on the other thread that shows wheel/tire combos. Thanks for all your help!!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 09, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Just thought I'd update anyone who may be interested. Despite all the valuable info. on this site about backspacing, I decided to trust the Discount Tire guy who insisted that the 245/45/17 would fit on the front with a 4.5 backspaced rim. Well they didn't fit and the drivers side rubbed the bottom of the front fender and would not allow a full right turn. They may have just barely fit with the 4.75 but the overall diameter of the 245 tire just seemed slightly too big. I'm now going to what I know will work and what so many of ya'll have already proven to work which is the 235/45/17 on 4.75' BS rim. Once all on there I'll take some photos. The 275/40/17s fit on a 9.5 with the 5.5" BS fit in there real nice. Very close to the back of the fender well but enough to slide a piece of cardboard.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 09, 08:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68RS-SS View Post
...The 275/40/17s fit on a 9.5 with the 5.5" BS fit in there real nice. Very close to the back of the fender well but enough to slide a piece of cardboard.
That's how mine are too and one side (driver's) end up rubing a little when turning on steep slopes. The good news is that it's easy fix with a 1/4 inch spacer.

Matt

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 09, 08:38 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Goddangit, I'm sick of all you a-holes being able to run the wheels I found. I finally got the brakes finished and Moser broken in last weekend (with my old wheels since it needs alignment) and will be on the road with my Old Schools soon. SO WATCH YOUR BACK!!!!

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 09, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
Goddangit, I'm sick of all you a-holes being able to run the wheels I found. I finally got the brakes finished and Moser broken in last weekend (with my old wheels since it needs alignment) and will be on the road with my Old Schools soon. SO WATCH YOUR BACK!!!!
Sorry Steiner - but once I saw them on JBs blue car (above) I couldn't resist. These "Old Schools" are exactly what I've been conjuring up in my mind for years but waiting for somoene to produce them. It was a tough choice between chrome but the gunmetal color couldn't have been done any better so went with those. They are the perfect mixture of classic 5 spoke styling with a modern edge but not too modern that it doesn't fit the classic lines of the car - and who could complain about the price (not even my wife)? Guess you'll have to just accept it as great minds thinking alike.

Hey - if you haven't already installed the wheel lugs that have the shaft that puts the extra .33" into the wheel and more securely centers the wheel you may want to give Jon at Drivers Inc. a call. They are inexpensive and much better than the Gorilla lugs that Disc. Tire sent with the pkg. Check out the recent post I did on lugs for that info. if your interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode