Anyone running drag radials ? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 09, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Jerry R.

Anyone running drag radials ?

More specific, do you run drag radials for every day use. I was considering BFG drag radials and from what I've read on the Tirerack site it sounds like they are street friendly but I would rather hear some real life stories.

my Magnaflow X-pipe system sound clip, click the link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 09, 10:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Art

Re: Anyone running drag radials ?

I've been running drag radials on my bracket cars for a long time now. I don't own street tires, so these are what the car uses for the drive to/from the track and cruising. Mickey Thompsons and Hoosiers are the best hooking DRs I've used, and hooked as good as if not better than a slick for me 60 footing in the 1.4-1.5 range. The downside, don't get caught in the rain or drive on wet roads with them as you may wind up in a ditch. I'd recommend them for dry road use only. Tread wear, I get one to 1 1/2 race seasons plus about 2k street miles from a pair. The BFGs are better in the rain, but do not hook as well as the MTs or Hoosiers. They also wear like butter. Nittos are the best drag radial for an all weather street car IMO. They are midway between a MT and a street tire as far as traction, but are good in the rain and last a while. I have gone as low as 1.62 60' times on them. Hope this helps

Artie

67 Camaro
99 T/A Daily Driver

Previous:
67 Camaro Traded for my 98
68 Camaro Street/Strip
98 Camaro Race car Best ET 9.08 @ 152 1.18 60'

Dyno sheets don't win races, see you at the track
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 09, 07:07 AM
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRGN View Post
I've been running drag radials on my bracket cars for a long time now. I don't own street tires, so these are what the car uses for the drive to/from the track and cruising. Mickey Thompsons and Hoosiers are the best hooking DRs I've used, and hooked as good as if not better than a slick for me 60 footing in the 1.4-1.5 range. The downside, don't get caught in the rain or drive on wet roads with them as you may wind up in a ditch. I'd recommend them for dry road use only. Tread wear, I get one to 1 1/2 race seasons plus about 2k street miles from a pair. The BFGs are better in the rain, but do not hook as well as the MTs or Hoosiers. They also wear like butter. Nittos are the best drag radial for an all weather street car IMO. They are midway between a MT and a street tire as far as traction, but are good in the rain and last a while. I have gone as low as 1.62 60' times on them. Hope this helps
I've used all mentioned above .. and couldn't agree more. Spot-on info!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 09, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Jerry R.

Thanks Art yes it does help. I didn't realize they were that soft. You cant tell by looking at a picture but I'll bet that tread is not very deep either.
I guess what I'm looking for is a tire that has a bit of a cheater slick look but is still a radial. I like the muscle car look. More of a straight line car than a road course or auto cross look.

my Magnaflow X-pipe system sound clip, click the link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 09, 08:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I'm running nitto 555r's this season. 275-40-17.

These have some tread on them, and I've been caught in the rain without problem or incident. They're pretty soft and hook well on the street, much better traction than last years tires. Cornering is very goos too.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 09, 09:34 AM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Nitto N555R's here,305/35-18's on my Chevelle,nice sticky tire...

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 09, 07:16 PM
Tech Team

The Hoosiers are super soft at 040 tread wear and will cut down easy . They are dot , but more likely to have a flat than a M/T, BFG , or Nitto .
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 09, 05:32 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

MT DR's and a street/strip car. only see the track about 4 times a year (6-10 passes each time) and approximately 1000 street miles per year... on 2nd year now.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 09, 01:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

I run BFG drag radials on the street. They look good, wear out fast. On the street you will still have a hard time hooking. Unless you lower pressure and do a burn out. So.....
They look good! I'm going to try MT ET street next time.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 09, 02:33 PM
Senior Tech
John

I had MT ET Streets and couldn't be happier.... except for the fact that I got a puncture on the side of the tire that couldn't be repaired.... bugger. I really couldn't comment on how they perform in wet weather as I don't even take my car out if it's cloudy. :-)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 09, 04:52 AM
Senior Tech
Vince

My friend runs the MT DR's on his Chevelle, with a ~550HP 454. He can still spin the tires, but not nearly as bad as regular BFG radial t/a's. They drive great (aside from rain). Only issue with all the D/R's is that even after normal driving, they begin to get tacky, and collect all the little rocks/gravel on the road, and begin blasting the quarter panels.

VINCE
69 CHEVELLE SS
502 EFI/[224/228 HR]/T56/3.90
*1.8/11.59/124.34*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode