Trans-Am Racing style lugs - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 09, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Trans-Am Racing style lugs

I've looked high & low and can't find anywhere that sells lugs that look like the one I saw on a car in a post pver at pro-touring.com:

So I found a machine shop by me that will make them. Going to run by there this week to talk to them and find out cost and metal choices. I would like stainless if it would be strong enough to be used for street driving. Not sure of the cost yet.

Would anyone else want these made for their car? I think more sets would bring the cost down. My car is a 68 Camaro, and my wheels use the lugs with the beveled edge. I'm sure I'd need to keep the lugs all the same style to get any type of multi-set discount.

MODERATORS....I'm not looking to do this for a profit, so if this violates any forum rules, please delete & let me know. I haven't found any forum advertisers that make this item.

Dan

1968 RS - Black
408 w/ Muncie 4 speed & 12 bolt rear
Deluxe Houndstooth Interior
Dropped 2" with TeamIII Mini-Lites

Click for Picture:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 09, 10:45 PM
Senior Tech
Vic

Re: Trans-Am Racing style lugs

i read he paid $400 a set!

how much is your machinist charging you?

also, 400 dollars a set, youd think hed atleast change drums to disc

Vic
1969 Camaro SS
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 09, 05:34 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Look easy as heck to make.

Buy a length of hex stock in the size you need, cut to length, drill & tap while in the lathe, then put on the proper tapper....done (just repeat 20 times )

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 09, 07:52 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

You might check with musclecarjohn , I saw in a post last week he had similar race type lug nuts made for his 69 out of stainless. He might have suggestions for you.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 09, 07:57 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj68RS View Post
You might check with musclecarjohn , I saw in a post last week he had similar race type lug nuts made for his 69 out of stainless. He might have suggestions for you.
Yes, I think thats John's car.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 09, 09:06 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

Had another thought on this. What about coupling nuts ? I know they come in 316 stainless as I've used them in marine applications on control linkages before. If you could find some that are long enough you would just need the proper seat angle cut on the end.

Russ (RJ)

post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 09, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Good idea on the coupling nuts, but I looked at McMaster and they don't show anything in stainless that's long enough for what I want in stainless.

Doug..it does sound easy to do with the right equipment. Wish I had a lathe.

Dan

1968 RS - Black

Click for Picture:

post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 09, 11:38 AM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1969 View Post
i read he paid $400 a set!

how much is your machinist charging you?

also, 400 dollars a set, youd think hed atleast change drums to disc
You can change to discs on your SS,I'm keeping my Z/28's as were originally built...

I know some can't understand $400 for lugnuts (actually $1,200 for 3 sets) but for those looking for the correct "look",there really isn't another option.

They may look like simple bar stock,but up close,they're actually more like jewelery,there is much more to them that pictures do not capture.
These are the 2nd generation design with an extra 1/4" tang on the end to help locate the wheel and engage more threads.

Due the the fact I don't like them as much on my more modern-looking wheel designs,I've decided to keep only one set for my V-40's as shown above,and sell the other two sets.
I have one set left,PM me if anyone is interested.

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!

post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 09, 02:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dean

Garage

Dan
P.M. sent

Fathom Green 69 RS Z/28 DZ302
And a few Hot Rods

The Camaro

The Hot Rods

post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 09, 01:48 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

Talked to a co-worker at lunch today that has a 66 GT350-R vintage racer with the long style lug nuts. He says they are available from various vintage race suppliers. His are 1/2-20 x 3" long and made from hi-tensile steel with a nickel finish. He's going to track down a couple suppliers and see if they also offer 7/16-20 versions. I'll post what I hear back.

I don't know about other aftermarket brake kits but the Wilwoods I put on 10 years ago came with 1/2-20 studs.

Russ (RJ)

post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 09, 03:45 PM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj68RS View Post
Talked to a co-worker at lunch today that has a 66 GT350-R vintage racer with the long style lug nuts. He says they are available from various vintage race suppliers. His are 1/2-20 x 3" long and made from hi-tensile steel with a nickel finish. He's going to track down a couple suppliers and see if they also offer 7/16-20 versions. I'll post what I hear back.

I don't know about other aftermarket brake kits but the Wilwoods I put on 10 years ago came with 1/2-20 studs.
Try www.cobraautomotive.com I got my headlight covers from them.

Yep,they got them in 12L14 steel with a bright nickle finish with a tapered seat,item # 318-4300G doesn't say if they're 7/16" or 1/2" though.

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature

post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 09, 08:19 AM
Senior Tech
Russ

That is one of the companies Bobby mentioned to me. He is still getting me prices. I'll check but I'm pretty sure them Fords use 1/2-20 studs/nuts which obviously won't work with stock Camaro 7/16 studs.

Russ (RJ)

post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 09, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

I found this as an option too. It's not 100% the look I'm going for (round lug vs. hex), but if the hex lugs wind up costing a lot to make, then I'd probaby give these a hard look. These are $40 for a set of 20. I don't know if the adapter is included in that price though.

http://www.customwheelaccessories.com/TunerLugNuts.html

I'd need to confirm that the lug width is the right size for my wheel...it doesn't show that measurement on the site.

These are available from:

Jon
DriverzInc.com
866-694-5940

Dan

1968 RS - Black

Click for Picture:

Last edited by funbnme; Sep 2nd, 09 at 09:08 AM.
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 09, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

I got a reply back from CobraAutomotive. Looks like they won't work for us Chevy guys.

-------
Part # 318-4300G Lugnut racing, tapered seat for American Torque Thrust rim, set of 20, Price is 139.95
We keep these in stock, the threads are 1/2" x 20, please contact our sales manager Scott Hackenson @ [email protected] with any questions or to place an order.

Dan

1968 RS - Black

Click for Picture:

post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 09, 09:14 AM
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by funbnme View Post
I got a reply back from CobraAutomotive. Looks like they won't work for us Chevy guys.

-------
Part # 318-4300G Lugnut racing, tapered seat for American Torque Thrust rim, set of 20, Price is 139.95
We keep these in stock, the threads are 1/2" x 20, please contact our sales manager Scott Hackenson @ [email protected] with any questions or to place an order.
Sounds like if you had 1/2" studs they would...figured they were 1/2" for racing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode